Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 04-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
backinBlue
Rookie
No Avatar

backinBlue is just getting started
Default Verlander's illegal Pitch

They eventually called it a balk, an illegal pitch( he threw home after disengaging the rubber)
But I think they half blew the call, the batter was hit by the illegal pitch there was R1 at 1st they moved r1 to 2nd returned batter to plate?? since the criteria to ignore the balk was met by the HBP why not ignore the balk?????

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=13867701

Last edited by backinBlue; 04-17-2011 at 06:01 PM.
backinBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
bnumpire
All-Star

bnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to all
Default Re: Verlander's illegal Pitch

You may want to check the link. I clicked on the link posted and it was Hideki Matsui's RBI double to right; nothing about an illegal pitch.
bnumpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
bnumpire
All-Star

bnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to allbnumpire is a name known to all

Here is the correct link:

This is something that I would maybe expect to see from an 11U pitcher not a Major League pitcher.
bnumpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
OzUmp
Veteran

OzUmp is movin' on upOzUmp is movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinBlue View Post
They eventually called it a balk, an illegal pitch( he threw home after disengaging the rubber)
But I think they half blew the call, the batter was hit by the illegal pitch there was R1 at 1st they moved r1 to 2nd returned batter to plate?? since the criteria to ignore the balk was met by the HBP why not ignore the balk?????

Apparently the umps ruled that the batter was not hit by the pitch. that would be the only legal explanation to their solution. You got to love the WTF look on the pu's face. He had no idea. Not sure if the ball hit batter or not. Would not surprise me if it did.
OzUmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
sdix00
All-Star

sdix00 is movin' on upsdix00 is movin' on up

The umpires must have ruled that Verlander balked when he stepped toward 1B and did not throw for the purpose of making a play. That would move R1.

Imagine F1 throwing nowhere near 1B. It would seem this is what the balk is for.

Since he balked while feinting to 1B, there was no pitch, and therefore no HBP.

R1 to 2B, B1 back in the box.

Last edited by sdix00; 04-17-2011 at 11:09 PM.
sdix00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
jmurray
Veteran
No Avatar

jmurray enjoys spam and reese'sjmurray enjoys spam and reese'sjmurray enjoys spam and reese'sjmurray enjoys spam and reese'sjmurray enjoys spam and reese's

Looks like a balk followed by a wild throw. Call time at the end of playing action and I think after the ball is returned to the infield. Since there was no playing action maybe that ball at the backstop didn't need to be returned to the infield. This being said with time to ponder. Real time I'm in the WTF club.
jmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
KenGibes
All-Star Crew Chief

KenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond repute

It looked to me like Verlander disengaged from the pitcher's plate. He jumps like a it's gonna be a jab step or a jump spin or whatever, but doesn't the first foot that hits the ground the pivlot foot? And doesn't hit hit the ground behind the pitcher's plate?
KenGibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:22 AM   #8
alex7
Regular

alex7 enjoys spam and reese'salex7 enjoys spam and reese'salex7 enjoys spam and reese'salex7 enjoys spam and reese's

Looked to me like he disengaged, making him just an infielder, making his throw home a live ball, nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps they judged that it hit the batter, and gave the runner 2nd as that's where he probably would have ended up on the errant throw?
alex7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
sdix00
All-Star

sdix00 is movin' on upsdix00 is movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGibes View Post
It looked to me like Verlander disengaged from the pitcher's plate. He jumps like a it's gonna be a jab step or a jump spin or whatever, but doesn't the first foot that hits the ground the pivlot foot? And doesn't hit hit the ground behind the pitcher's plate?

This is what I would have had a week ago.

Problem is that after another long thread on a similar jab move/disengagement, most of the folks insisted that a simultaneous move of the free foot toward 1B and disengagement of the Pivot foot was not good enough. Most folks felt F1 must desengage first,in a separate movement, then F1 is free to step, throw, or whatever. Most did not like the jab step, even though the pivot foot landed behind the rubber.

http://umpire-empire.com/index.php/t..._fromsearch__1

Last edited by sdix00; 04-18-2011 at 01:14 AM.
sdix00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:55 AM   #10
VTponyump
Veteran

VTponyump enjoys it when you click on his iconVTponyump enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7 View Post
Looked to me like he disengaged, making him just an infielder, making his throw home a live ball, nothing more, nothing less.

Perhaps they judged that it hit the batter, and gave the runner 2nd as that's where he probably would have ended up on the errant throw?

That's how I originally saw it also...it couldn't be a hit by pitch, as Verlander was an infielder when he threw home.

This is the biggest WTF I have seen in a couple of seasons....
Unread 04-18-2011, 02:06 AM   #11
johnnyg08
All-Star
No Avatar

johnnyg08 is movin' on upjohnnyg08 is movin' on up

Yeah, did all of the players just stop? Or did the umpire kill the play...this is a balk...but I think I probably would've done the same thing that PU did...WTF?

They could've let play continue and runner advance at their peril. I agree w/ the umpires though...that balk is the proper call here

It's a botched jump step though, which makes it the balk...so he's still a pitcher there, not an infielder.
johnnyg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #12
whenindoubt
No Avatar

whenindoubt is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post

They could've let play continue and runner advance at their peril. I agree w/ the umpires though...that balk is the proper call here
Yea. The only thing Hirschbeck (the PU) did not get right exactly was the fact that he called the ball dead. He was not free as an infielder to throw anywhere on that jump, so it is a balk.

Watching that makes me feel less bad about the JV game i did this week
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
SocalBlue1
Veteran

SocalBlue1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Yeah, did all of the players just stop? Or did the umpire kill the play...this is a balk...but I think I probably would've done the same thing that PU did...WTF?

It's a botched jump step though, which makes it the balk...so he's still a pitcher there, not an infielder.
Wonder what the crew would have done had the ball been hit

With everyone on the field stopping, killing the play & enforcing the balk was the reasonable solution.
SocalBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote