Where does this line of thinking come from?

This topic contains 19 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Rich_Ives 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

kengibes
    Participant

I’ve never felt that I had the authority to eject spectators, doing games from pre-minor Little League up to Division II college ball.

I’ve always thought that I had the authority to stop play and require that a spectator who has gone ‘over the line’ be removed from the premises. This would typically mean extreme foul language, physical threats, or racial or ethnic epithets or slurs. You know…. the type of behavior that wouldn’t be acceptable anywhere.

But fans booing or yelling at the umpire is usually best ignored until it crosses the line. If you don’t want to work under those conditions, find a league like Pete’s that has a zero tolerance policy. They exist. But don’t expect to find it at highly competitive levels.

I was asked to call in the Pecos League, one of the independent pro leagues, a few years ago. I passed because I didn’t care to call games in a professional atmosphere where people paid regular admission and could buy beer. It just wasn’t worth it to me.

joeumpire
    Participant

@kengibes 208768 wrote:

I’ve never felt that I had the authority to eject spectators, doing games from pre-minor Little League up to Division II college ball.

I’ve always thought that I had the authority to stop play and require that a spectator who has gone ‘over the line’ be removed from the premises. This would typically mean extreme foul language, physical threats, or racial or ethnic epithets or slurs. You know…. the type of behavior that wouldn’t be acceptable anywhere.

But fans booing or yelling at the umpire is usually best ignored until it crosses the line. If you don’t want to work under those conditions, find a league like Pete’s that has a zero tolerance policy. They exist. But don’t expect to find it at highly competitive levels.

I was asked to call in the Pecos League, one of the independent pro leagues, a few years ago. I passed because I didn’t care to call games in a professional atmosphere where people paid regular admission and could buy beer. It just wasn’t worth it to me.

Thanks for all the replies to this post.

I do about 300 games per year in 7 different sports including baseball and havent seen a place where there is someone at the facility who is tasked with removing unruly spectators. That is left up to the umpire(s). Even at high school games there isnt a person at the varsity level at the field. Most of the fields are remote from the school and even those that are not dont have anyone that has that task. Every time I have talked to an athletic director about that subject they say you toss the person and if they dont go call me.

Also every where I go in every sport the rules say zero tolerance for bad behavior including spectators. It is left up to the umpire to do whatever is takes to have and orderly game.

Some examples or what I have ejected fans for include: cuss words or swearing (take your pick, there are the same thing). The words have to be aimed at me, players, coaches etc. and very loud. I dont toss someone because they spill a drink on themselves and then swears out loud. Yelling at the top of their voice about a call gets a fan tossed in my book.

Never been booed in baseball but would not toss someone useless they went on and on with the booing. Sitting behind the back stop when there is no bleacher there and complaining about balls and strikes gets a fan tossed.

Have actually had coaches approach me to toss a fan because they had bothered players in the past with their silliness. Of course if I think it is warranted I will do it.

Joe Umpire

mturman
    Participant

@joeumpire 208774 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies to this post.

I do about 300 games per year in 7 different sports including baseball and havent seen a place where there is someone at the facility who is tasked with removing unruly spectators. That is left up to the umpire(s). Even at high school games there isnt a person at the varsity level at the field. Most of the fields are remote from the school and even those that are not dont have anyone that has that task. Every time I have talked to an athletic director about that subject they say you toss the person and if they dont go call me.

Also every where I go in every sport the rules say zero tolerance for bad behavior including spectators. It is left up to the umpire to do whatever is takes to have and orderly game.

Some examples or what I have ejected fans for include: cuss words or swearing (take your pick, there are the same thing). The words have to be aimed at me, players, coaches etc. and very loud. I dont toss someone because they spill a drink on themselves and then swears out loud. Yelling at the top of their voice about a call gets a fan tossed in my book.

Never been booed in baseball but would not toss someone useless they went on and on with the booing. Sitting behind the back stop when there is no bleacher there and complaining about balls and strikes gets a fan tossed.

Have actually had coaches approach me to toss a fan because they had bothered players in the past with their silliness. Of course if I think it is warranted I will do it.

Joe Umpire

Not sure what level of sports you do so would be interested to know.

Reading that you toss fans, no offense, seems to indicate mostly youth sports. At the HS and above level this just wouldn’t happen…and most group leadership would likely not take well to receiving such reports.

If our group was taking a look at an upcoming umpire and observed, or knew that such was their practice, it would definitely be addressed prior to extending an invitation to join.

Aloha,
    Mike

Rich_Ives
    Participant

@pete_booth 208763 wrote:

Common Rich you know better than that. We are not talking about that kind of behavior.

We are talking about overboard behavior.

Example: There is a banger at first base and a fan in the stands says Common Blue you missed that one or something along those lines

Perfectly acceptable as long as they let it go.

However if the same fan at a youth sporting event says Blue WTF are you looking at. Quite a different story and that’s what I believe the OP is referring to.

That type of behavior cannot be tolerated.

The aforementioned is an altogether different subject matter. From my experience most parents approach the coach after the game and ask why their son / daughter did not play a full game or why their son / daughter did not get a chance to play the infield, pitch etc.

Same goes for the All Star voting which is not done on the field of play.

2 totally different scenarios.

Pete Booth

So zero doesn’t mean zero?

Rich_Ives
    Participant

@pete_booth 208763 wrote:

The aforementioned is an altogether different subject matter. From my experience most parents approach the coach after the game and ask why their son / daughter did not play a full game or why their son / daughter did not get a chance to play the infield, pitch etc.

Same goes for the All Star voting which is not done on the field of play.

2 totally different scenarios.

Pete Booth

Your experience is too limited.

They sit in the stands and bad-mouth coaches for not letting little Jimmy play SS or let Alice pitch. They trash the league for it’s all-star picks to anyone who will listen. They write letters to the paper and post their views on social media sites. Are you suggesting that this is acceptable?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.