The Newbies Section

This topic contains 70 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  mturman 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Foul as the other posters have said. You’ll catch on. Give yourself some time, get with quality partners, spend lots of time on this site, and do lots of games.

Anonymous

You may also try watching games on TV with the sound turned down.
    If the sound is on, and you can hear the announcers, you’ll just get more confused.;)

critterump1
    Participant

My Name is Christopher or Chris you can also call me critter that’s a nickname i go by.

I umpire babe ruth

cal minor 9-10
    cal major 10-12
    baberuth 13-17

I been in this leauge for 4-5 years i been umpire for 3-4 years before that with the local free ll left for reason i disagree with them.

I am 22 years old

AugieDonatelli
    Participant

Chris, just jump right in and learn all you can from the veterans here. Make sure not to argue about finer points until you have some posts under your belt or some of these wolves will bite your head off!:D

heyblue26
    Participant

Hey Critter great advise by Augie and like he said jump right in. Welcome to a great site and you can learn alot from all here.

stonewi
    Participant

I am not an umpire but my son and I play a lot of ball and we both try to learn the rules as much as possible. Maybe one day soon after I hang up the cleats I’ll move behind the plate.

Encountered an interesting situation the other night at my sons game and almost everyone had a different take on the proper call.

Bases loaded one out. Batter lays down a perfect bunt down the first base line. Batter busts out of the box trying to leg out a hit. Catcher busts out behind the batter and fields the ball about 10′ in front of home plate. He instinctively turns to go tag home plate, but the runner on 3rd had broken early and catcher realizes the runner is going to beat him to the plate. Catcher looks toward 3rd but then decides to throw to 1st. He now has to hurry to get the batter at 1st and rushes his throw to first base. The throw is several feet over the first baseman’s head and goes down the foul line into right field. The runner was more than a step away from 1st when the ball went over the first baseman’s head and in his effort run fast to beat the throw he strayed out of the 3′ baseline box with one foot in fair territory when the ball went over the first baseman’s head. Should the runner be called out for interference?

BrianC14
    Participant
    stonewi;111370 wrote:
    I am not an umpire but my son and I play a lot of ball and we both try to learn the rules as much as possible. Maybe one day soon after I hang up the cleats I’ll move behind the plate.

Encountered an interesting situation the other night at my sons game and almost everyone had a different take on the proper call.

Bases loaded one out. Batter lays down a perfect bunt down the first base line. Batter busts out of the box trying to leg out a hit. Catcher busts out behind the batter and fields the ball about 10′ in front of home plate. He instinctively turns to go tag home plate, but the runner on 3rd had broken early and catcher realizes the runner is going to beat him to the plate. Catcher looks toward 3rd but then decides to throw to 1st. He now has to hurry to get the batter at 1st and rushes his throw to first base. The throw is several feet over the first baseman’s head and goes down the foul line into right field. The runner was more than a step away from 1st when the ball went over the first baseman’s head and in his effort run fast to beat the throw he strayed out of the 3′ baseline box with one foot in fair territory when the ball went over the first baseman’s head. Should the runner be called out for interference?

Unfortunately, it depends on what rule set you’re using.

If it’s a high school game using NFHS (“FED”) rules, this can be ruled as interference.

In other codes, (Official Baseball Rules, NCAA, etc.) then the quality of the throw comes into play, and it’s left to the umpire’s judgment whether or not the runner caused the wild throw, or if it were simply a poor quality throw.

stonewi
    Participant

Thanks.

I believe official baseball rules applied in this tournament. One question with regard to the quality throw. I thought I read somewhere that in the umpire’s judgement the runner must intentionally try to cause the wild throw to be called out for interference, such as waving your arms, yelling, etc. Is that true, and if so, doesn’t that suggest that to call interference on this play the umpire must believe the runner intentionally stepped out of the baseline to try to cause a wild throw? Or conversely, if the umpire believes the runner accidently stepped out of the baseline, he wouldn’t call interference? If that line of reasoning is correct, seems like a tough judgement call.

yawetag
    Participant

@stonewi 111397 wrote:

the runner must intentionally try to cause the wild throw to be called out for interference, such as waving your arms, yelling, etc. Is that true

No. On a running lane violation to first, simply being outside the lane is enough for the call (if you believe the throw was hindered by him being outside the line).

johnnyg08
    Participant

Remember that the rule for runner’s lane violation protects F3, not necessarily F2.

Something about hindering or impeding F3’s ability to field the throw.

stonewi
    Participant

The last two posts get to the two different points of view that I encountered regarding the out of first baseline rule. If it protects F3, if runner is out of baseline and is hit by a throw or screens first basement the case for interference is clear. If the throw is not catchable by F3, does that eliminate the possibility for interference call? Or if in the umpire’s judgement the runner being out of the baseline caused a wild throw, interference should be called?

bobjenkins
    Participant

@stonewi 111447 wrote:

The last two posts get to the two different points of view that I encountered regarding the out of first baseline rule. If it protects F3, if runner is out of baseline and is hit by a throw or screens first basement the case for interference is clear. If the throw is not catchable by F3, does that eliminate the possibility for interference call? Or if in the umpire’s judgement the runner being out of the baseline caused a wild throw, interference should be called?

The former in OBR; the latter in FED (with the umpire’s judgment “always” going to “caused a wild throw.”)

raoulduke
    Participant

test test

richo_aust
    Participant

HEYBLUE26, Hi mate, I’m from Australia, love your “Your out and your ugly too”

heyblue26
    Participant

@richo_aust 117886 wrote:

HEYBLUE26, Hi mate, I’m from Australia, love your “Your out and your ugly too”

Thanks but that saying is from a book that was written by a MLB Umpire (Durwood Merrill) with the book title being that.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.