The Newbies Section

This topic contains 70 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  mturman 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author

coachvan
    Participant

hello everyone. i wanted to know the signifigance if any of the numbers on the shirt

imported_mstaylor
    Participant

I assume you are talking in a local group. If so there some groups that use numbers and others that do not. There is no real significance other than some guys like to look like the big boys.

imported_mstaylor
    Participant

I assume you are talking in a local group. If so there some groups that use numbers and others that do not. There is no real significance other than some guys like to look like the big boys.

torquer
    Participant

@coachvan 81861 wrote:

hello everyone. i wanted to know the signifigance if any of the numbers on the shirt

For our HS group its for ID purposes. If there is a problem game, its easier for numbers than names. Otherwise no real deal.

Jess

lustersilk
    Participant

Just my opinion – but don’t wear them unless you’re supposed to. I’m pretty new to this and thought I’d look like a big shot at an evaluation by showing up with numbers on my Jersey. That was the very first thing my evaluator mentioned. I was totally humiliated when he said “Do you see any others around here with numbers. Only the pros have numbers”. I think he was a bit over the top, but what do I know.

I wear the Jersey sometimes when I do solo, independent, travel games, but besides that I leave it in the closet. Just my humble opinion.

umpwhore
    Participant

@torquer 81885 wrote:

For our HS group its for ID purposes. If there is a problem game, its easier for numbers than names. Otherwise no real deal.

Jess

Exactly why my chapter has them. Easier for coaches to remember numbers- especially when there’s a large group of umpires.

I think they look sharp, personally.

umpwhore
    Participant

@torquer 81885 wrote:

Jess

Exactly why my chapter has them. Easier for coaches to remember numbers- especially when there’s a large group of umpires.

I think they look sharp, personally.

imported_mstaylor
    Participant

Some evaluators are absolutely amazing. They have the worst way of saying things to a new or less experienced umps. They pick on stuff that is stupid instead of trying to improve the person they are doing the eval for.
    I evaluate in two sports and what my colleagues and I try to do is find things they are doing right as well as things they are doing wrong. When we talk to them we mix the good and bad so it doesn’t discourage them. When we have an official want to join our group, we give them a rundown on our uniform requirements plus what equipment they need, plus where they can get it. My goal as a trainer is to help new guys improve to a point where they can take my job.

imported_mstaylor
    Participant

Some evaluators are absolutely amazing. They have the worst way of saying things to a new or less experienced umps. They pick on stuff that is stupid instead of trying to improve the person they are doing the eval for.
    I evaluate in two sports and what my colleagues and I try to do is find things they are doing right as well as things they are doing wrong. When we talk to them we mix the good and bad so it doesn’t discourage them. When we have an official want to join our group, we give them a rundown on our uniform requirements plus what equipment they need, plus where they can get it. My goal as a trainer is to help new guys improve to a point where they can take my job.

heyblue26
    Participant

@mstaylor 81936 wrote:

mstaylor: Very well said and you mention some very good points like the good along with the not so good and explain how to correct the things that need to be worked on. IMO this is a good sign of a good tariner.

imported_mstaylor
    Participant

I appreciate compliment. torquer has seen me in both clinic settings and one on one with young umpires. I try to encourage as much as possible while giving them things to work on.

imported_mstaylor
    Participant

I appreciate compliment. torquer has seen me in both clinic settings and one on one with young umpires. I try to encourage as much as possible while giving them things to work on.

MD11
    Participant

Brian,
    This started to sound scary… almost like “LANCE- The Umpires Umpire” had resurfaced… in fact I do not think I’ve ever seen you or Lance in the same room at the same time… could it be??? Na…In fact I’ve never seen you or Lance for that matter… forget it…

darbnosnhoj
    Participant

Ball line drives over first (or 3rd) base does not hit fair territory and falls in foul territory – is this a fair ball or foul? I know this is the basic of the basic – help I am very new.

BrianC14
    Participant

@darbnosnhoj 88253 wrote:

Ball line drives over first (or 3rd) base does not hit fair territory and falls in foul territory – is this a fair ball or foul? I know this is the basic of the basic – help I am very new.

Foul ball, so long as it touched nothing in (or on) fair territory.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.