The Newbies Section

This topic contains 70 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  mturman 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

UIC

This area is a “Safe Harbor” for the rookie umpires who visit this site to post questions without fear of criticism, attacks or “flaming”.

This section, along with all other board topics, is provided, in total, as an umpire information resource.

Just like all of the other boards on this site, the posts are individual author’s opinions and responses. Readers are encouraged to reap all that they can from these posts in the pursuit of becoming a better umpire.

This area, and every topic area on the board, will automatically drop posts more than 90 days old.

Thank you for your visit to the Umpires Resource Center!

ctusmc1999
    Participant

My name is Joe Goodrich and I just moved to New Bern, NC. I love baseball and started umpiring two years ago on weekends in season. I have only umpired a few High School games and many Little League level games. I love the sport and played through college level as a catcher.

My first question is who can I contact to start umpiring in my area?

Secondly, I am an active duty Marine Corps pilot and sometimes it is hard to get time off to attend umpire camps. Is there a way to get together with other ABUA members in my area and work on our drills?

I am a new ABUA member and have enjoyed the online courses offered by ABUA and ESO. How do I find out about camps coming to my area?

Any help will be greatly appreciated on these questions. Thanks.

Joe

imported_SocalBlue1
    Participant

Joe,

Welcome to ABUA and THANK YOU for your service!

You will likely find find several members here that reside in NC that will be willing to help. Much will depend on what level you wish to umpire (Youth ball such as Little League, high school, etc).

I suspect someone more local to you will advise the closest umpire association shortly. If not one of us will help you out.

Jim

chuck1
    Participant

Joe

Although I am not local, I just pulled up the North Carolina High School Athletic Association and there is a list of “Booking Agents” (aka “Assignors” in most parts of the country) and I believe the closest for you is

Ken Saunders
    PO Box 728
    Jacksonville, NC 28541
    ksaunders@ec.rr.com
    Home: 910-938-8979
    Cell: 910-330-6871
    Fax: 910-938-8979

I’m sure if you give him a call, he would be glad to answer any and all questions and help you in any way possible. Being from Jacksonville himself, there is absolutely no way that he has managed to escape running into someone connected to the Military in one form or another unless he lives in a cave. I’m sure he knows all about the scheduling challenges for clinics, camps, and games are concerned. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your service to our country.

heyblue26
    Participant

@ctusmc1999 79599 wrote:

My name is Joe Goodrich and I just moved to New Bern, NC. I love baseball and started umpiring two years ago on weekends in season. I have only umpired a few High School games and many Little League level games. I love the sport and played through college level as a catcher.

Secondly, I am an active duty Marine Corps pilot and sometimes it is hard to get time off to attend umpire camps. Is there a way to get together with other ABUA members in my area and work on our drills?

I am a new ABUA member and have enjoyed the online courses offered by ABUA and ESO. How do I find out about camps coming to my area?

Joe

Joe: Welcome to the ABUA it is great and there is a lot of great umpires on this site that will help any way they can either by answering your questions or other umpiring assocation information such as you have asked in your post. I am a retired Marine and I want to say Semper Fi. I umpire here in Korea and the only American umpire to attend the KBO Umpire School. Again welcome.

Heyblue26

ctusmc1999
    Participant

Jim,

Thanks for the warm and prompt welcome. I did some research last night and found a few contact numbers for my area. After contacting them I was registered and taken care of within hours. ABUA has already proved to be worth the membership. Thanks again.

Joe

ctusmc1999
    Participant

Chuck1,

Thanks for the information. I just got off the phone with Ken and found that Jim Johnson would be my best bet for the area I am from. Ken was a big help so thanks again.

I do have one question regarding an updated rules book for 2009 season. I looked everywhere online and only found older versions. I have the (4) revisions to the NFHS rules book but can’t find any online versions of the 2009 NFHS Baseball Rules Book. Does it not exist for online purchase?

Joe

CoachJM
    Participant

Joe,

I believe FED has gone to an “every other year” publishing schedule. Rule changes between publications will be documented on the FED website.

JM

heyblue26
    Participant

@ctusmc1999 79627 wrote:

Chuck1,

Thanks for the information. I just got off the phone with Ken and found that Jim Johnson would be my best bet for the area I am from. Ken was a big help so thanks again.

I do have one question regarding an updated rules book for 2009 season. I looked everywhere online and only found older versions. I have the (4) revisions to the NFHS rules book but can’t find any online versions of the 2009 NFHS Baseball Rules Book. Does it not exist for online purchase?

Joe

Joe: Try going to the NFHS site I believe they are on sale there. Also try Umpnews.com and they have the rule changes posted there for 2009. Hope that this helps and again welcome.

John

BrianC14
    Participant

FED has published a 2009 Rule Book.

It’s available here:

http://www.nfhs.com/index.asp?cmd=showcategory&param_0=61

Since they have a $10 minimum order, I’d recommend buy the Case Book (but I recommend staying away from their Umpires Manual – get a CCA Manual instead).

Semper Fi, Marine!
    🙂

BT_Blue
    Participant

Honigs also has the FED rule book if I remember correctly.

Also talk to Warren (TarheelUmp)

I know for a fact he is from NC (based on his posts… and oh yes, his avatar) he might be able to help you out.

ctusmc1999
    Participant

Thank you all for the quick and helpful responses. This forum stuff really works! As more problems and questions arise I know where to turn to.

Semper Fi!

Joe

TarheelUmp
    Participant

Sorry I’m a little late to the dance, but it looks like you’ve been taken care of. Welcome Joe.

torquer
    Participant

@ctusmc1999 79599 wrote:

Joe

Thanks for your service to our country. Ex Navy here and I know you guys are the mens department. Have a good friend and umpire that I learned alot from about the game who was a Marine in Vietnam. Try to hook up with a senior ump that has solid mechanics and knows the rules in the different codes you’ll be working. I find for myself that the older umps don’t have a chip and aren’t threatened by the new umps. Your high school association should have some kind of training if they are active. Most HS are using the CCA manual for ump mechanics anyway so study that book and you should be able to do most games efficiently.

Jess AMS2 Navy veteran

semperfiguy
    Participant

Welcome aboard Joe. Go get em devil dog!!! Semper fi!!!! Next to the corps, its baseball for me!! Balls and strikes baby!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.