Positioning

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mturman 2 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

aetaha
    Participant

I’ve recently started umpiring Little League (2-man crew). Most sites I’ve seen says that if there is a runner on third (whether or not there is a runner on any other base), the base umpire should be in the C position. However, on the Umpire Bible website, it recommends being in the B position if there are runners on both first and third base. The rationale seems to be that with runners on first and third, there is little chance of a play at third on the runner currently at third, but a very good chance that there will be a play at first or second (The home plate umpire can take any play at third if it does occur). I tried it in a game, and it seemed to work well.

Anyway, my question is doesn’t the same reasoning suggest that the base umpire should be in A position if there is only a runner on third base? It is very unlikely that there will be a play at third on the runner (and the home plate umpire is supposed to watch the tagging up at third), but quite likely that there will be a play at first.

Thanks for your advice.

mturman
    Participant

No…with any runner on base you will always be inside…No runners will always have you in A…

While a play at 3rd may seem unlikely ask yourself this…WHEN (because it will happen) a play happens at 3rd (a pick attempt) will you be able to see it from A? I doubt it.

aloha,
    Mike

Richard_Siegel
    Participant

Are we talking 60′ or 90′ bases?

Anonymous

There’s a difference between the mechanics with runners on 1st and 3rd on the 60′ field (majors) and a 90′ field.

On a 60′ field, you’ll be in outside C whenever there’s a runner on 3rd. That gives you eyes on R-3 leaving early, which is a money call for majors and below. The plate umpire can’t see that, and you’ll send a lot of R-3’s back, taking a run off the board. With R-1 and R-3, outside C is the best spot to call plays at 2nd and 3rd on R-1 if the ball stays in the infield. Downside is it’s tough to call a whacker at 1st from outside C.

On a 90′ or 50/70 field, with runners at 1st and 3rd only, most books have us in inside B, which puts us in a good position to call a double play, and in inside C any other time there’s a runner at 3rd (unless there’s 2 outs, and then you’ll see some guys move to B with a runner at 3rd only, especially if F-5 is not holding R-3 on).

mturman
    Participant

Whether we use small or large fields, we adhere to the same 2 man mechanics here in Hawaii…never go outside…regular B and C positions.

The kids have to learn to work with us sooner or later…

Aloha,
    Mike

bfredrocks
    Participant

LL, 60′ bases, R3. BU should always be in C position for the reasons stated (the leaving early one is key), and also because while it may not happen often, the back pick from F2 to F5 is impossible for the PU to see and almost as hard from A or B.

aetaha
    Participant

Thank you for all the advice. It’s 60′, so I’ll stay in outside C whenever there’s a runner on 3rd.

typikon
    Participant

@mturman 204006 wrote:

Whether we use small or large fields, we adhere to the same 2 man mechanics here in Hawaii…never go outside…regular B and C positions.

The kids have to learn to work with us sooner or later…

Aloha,
    Mike

The whole reason they’re on the outside in most 60′ base divisions is to enforce the rule that prohibits leading off until the ball reaches the batter.

Maybe you don’t have LL in Hawaii? If your leagues have leadoffs and balks then yes, putting the base umpire inside makes sense.

But if the rule set doesn’t allow leadoffs then by positioning the base umpire inside the diamond, you’re effectively telling everyone a) you’re not enforcing the rules b) you’d rather be working 90-foot games.

mturman
    Participant

@typikon 204019 wrote:

The whole reason they’re on the outside in most 60′ base divisions is to enforce the rule that prohibits leading off until the ball reaches the batter.

Maybe you don’t have LL in Hawaii? If your leagues have leadoffs and balks then yes, putting the base umpire inside makes sense.

But if the rule set doesn’t allow leadoffs then by positioning the base umpire inside the diamond, you’re effectively telling everyone a) you’re not enforcing the rules b) you’d rather be working 90-foot games.

Good point…we do have LL, I just haven’t worked it…

Aloha,
    Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.