MLB U1 in A straddling the line.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  douggro 1 year ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mike_howard
    Participant

Went and watched a game tonight and was watching the umps a little more closely than I used to. I know it’s four-man and that I’m a long, long way from that, but I did notice that U1 was straddling the line with no runners on base.

My trainers told me always to set myself up in foul territory. Is there a benefit to straddling the line like he was?

typikon
    Participant

@mike_howard 207246 wrote:

Went and watched a game tonight and was watching the umps a little more closely than I used to. I know it’s four-man and that I’m a long, long way from that, but I did notice that U1 was straddling the line with no runners on base.

My trainers told me always to set myself up in foul territory. Is there a benefit to straddling the line like he was?

Tenure!

Anonymous

@mike_howard 207246 wrote:

Went and watched a game tonight and was watching the umps a little more closely than I used to. I know it’s four-man and that I’m a long, long way from that, but I did notice that U1 was straddling the line with no runners on base. My trainers told me always to set myself up in foul territory. Is there a benefit to straddling the line like he was?

It’s a matter of choice. Prior to the merging of American and National League umpires in 2000, the National League preference was to straddle the line. The American League preference was to be in foul territory. The thinking of National League Umpires is that one gets a better look at balls close to the foul line. American League umpires take the attitude that they presumably will never be hit with a fair ball.The bottom line is this: Do what your trainers are telling you to do.

FYI, the MLBUM states that with no runners on base, the 1st and 3rd base umpires are to position themselves with both feet in foul territory.

bobjenkins
    Participant

It could also be that there was something about the field or the player’s positioning that led to this stance.

Anonymous

I know that in 3-man, if I’m in D with a runner on 3rd, I’ll now straddle the line. Gives a much better unobstructed view with R-3 leading off in foul territory. I got a unobstructed look for a check swing, batter hit by batted ball, how the ball comes off the bat, and a shot down the 3rd baseline. Can’t see an umpire in A or D really being at risk for being hit by a batted ball he can’t avoid.

bobjenkins
    Participant

@msmith 207263 wrote:

Can’t see an umpire in A or D really being at risk for being hit by a batted ball he can’t avoid.

Well, the one you can’t avoid is the only one you will get hit by. 😉

And, it happens more than you’d think — the ball is curling a lot and if you go the wrong way you’ll be hit. I never was (just pure luck, really), but had it happen to a handful of partners.

kengibes
    Participant
    bobjenkins;207274 wrote:
    Well, the one you can’t avoid is the only one you will get hit by. 😉

And, it happens more than you’d think — the ball is curling a lot and if you go the wrong way you’ll be hit. I never was (just pure luck, really), but had it happen to a handful of partners.

Excellent point. The ball almost always curls toward DBT, so to avoid a hard liner coming down the line the BU should move toward fair territory. But this is contrary to the whole reason the umpire is in foul territory in the first place, and many umpires just can’t get their body to move in towards the field when this happens. So they move the other way… in the same direction that the ball is curling. The feeling you get is the same as when a pesky fly or bee keeps buzzing you no matter which way you move. I know this from experience. :(:(:(

douggro
    Participant

“Righties, move right; lefties, move left” is what I remind myself when in B or C for the line drive hit straight towards me. In A, if you move left into DBT and get hit, there’s an exceptionally high probability that you got hit by a foul ball anyway..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.