leather lace dangling from pitcher’s glove

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Pete_Booth 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

joe0x7f
    Participant

FED ruling needed. OBR more than welcome.

How am I supposed to handle the situation when a pitcher has a 5 to 8 inch leather glove lace dangling from the little finger tip of his glove?

I saw this in a game one time and was shocked that something was not done about it. It looks like it would be very distracting to the hitter.

As an aside, how do you suggest handling the Red and White pitching glove?

Thanks!

Anonymous

@joe0x7f 203662 wrote:

FED ruling needed. OBR more than welcome.

How am I supposed to handle the situation when a pitcher has a 5 to 8 inch leather glove lace dangling from the little finger tip of his glove?

I saw this in a game one time and was shocked that something was not done about it. It looks like it would be very distracting to the hitter.

Thanks!

Edited after reading more closely…..
    I would leave the dangling laces alone. If someone complains (which I doubt will happen), and the PU considers it distracting (which I doubt will happen), remove the lace or replace the glove.

White on the pitcher glove….replace the glove.

Anonymous

If you find the lace distracting, then make him tie it down, or do nothing unless somebody complains, and then agree it is distracting and make him tie it down or switch mitts.

White on a pitcher’s glove is not allowed. Red is ok. Make him change it as soon as you see it.

Anonymous

@msmith 203666 wrote:

If you find the lace distracting, then make him tie it down, or do nothing unless somebody complains, and then agree it is distracting and make him tie it down or switch mitts.

White on a pitcher’s glove is not allowed. Red is ok. Make him change it as soon as you see it.

Oops.
    Missed the second part of the question.
    I agree. White on the pitcher’s glove is problematic. Go ahead and get that glove replaced.

Pete_Booth
    Participant

joe0x7f;203662]FED ruling needed. OBR more than welcome.

Thanks!

Do not go looking for trouble or become OOO. Other then White which Mike pointed out leave it alone.

For the most part, the type of glove that I would tell F1 to change was the Rawlings (see attached link) but only when it was sunny out.

http://www.rawlings.com/advisors-staff/players-category/manny-machado/

Many Machado plays SS so no big deal. However, F1 is another story if it’s sunny.

The Sun would hit the gold label on the Rawlings glove and would not only be a distraction to the batter but the PU as well. It would shine right into one’s eyes.

FWIW: Do not go “crazy” on enforcing uniform rules with limited exceptions.

Funny Story: I once had a manager request time and say “Pete can you ask F1 to change his glove it’s distracting to my hitters”. In the meantime they were blowing out the other team so I said “Skip you are up by a gazillion runs is it really distracting and he just laughed and we got the Mercy rule in and called it a day.

Pete Booth

Anonymous

@pete_booth 203669 wrote:

Do not go looking for trouble or become OOO. Other then White which Mike pointed out leave it alone.

For the most part, the type of glove that I would tell F1 to change was the Rawlings (see attached link) but only when it was sunny out.

http://www.rawlings.com/advisors-staff/players-category/manny-machado/

Many Machado plays SS so no big deal. However, F1 is another story if it’s sunny.

The Sun would hit the gold label on the Rawlings glove and would not only be a distraction to the batter but the PU as well. It would shine right into one’s eyes.

FWIW: Do not go “crazy” on enforcing uniform rules with limited exceptions.

Funny Story: I once had a manager request time and say “Pete can you ask F1 to change his glove it’s distracting to my hitters”. In the meantime they were blowing out the other team so I said “Skip you are up by a gazillion runs is it really distracting and he just laughed and we got the Mercy rule in and called it a day.

Pete Booth

Yep. Don’t trouble trouble.

typikon
    Participant

It’s not trouble between innings to tell the manager to have his kid tie off his lace. If that is grabbing the dirty end of a stick, then you need to get your hands dirty.

Part of game management is to manage small problems when they’re still small. Don’t wait til there’s a big at bat and the batter complains about the lace, and you agree with him, and now you’ve got bad karma.

Rich_Ives
    Participant

@typikon 203683 wrote:

It’s not trouble between innings to tell the manager to have his kid tie off his lace. If that is grabbing the dirty end of a stick, then you need to get your hands dirty.

Part of game management is to manage small problems when they’re still small. Don’t wait til there’s a big at bat and the batter complains about the lace, and you agree with him, and now you’ve got bad karma.

Part of game management is knowing that if no one complains let it be.

bobjenkins
    Participant

@typikon 203683 wrote:

Good general advice — but not applicable here because I am NOT going to agree with the batter that it’s distracting.

Pete_Booth
    Participant

typikon;203683]It’s not trouble between innings to tell the manager to have his kid tie off his lace. If that is grabbing the dirty end of a stick, then you need to get your hands dirty.

Game Management starts BEFORE any inning begins.

When you see the kid warming up you know right off the “get go” the color of the glove etc. Therefore, if it’s white you simply tell the manager while the kid is warming up – “Skip he cannot use that glove while he is pitching”

Also, regarding this particular OP, I agree with Bob J. The manager can “jump through hoops” about this dangling business and IMO it is not a big deal. Most likely, the manager is looking to slow down F1’s rhythm etc.

In Summary part of Game Management is observing BEFORE the game even begins and if there are issues resolve before a pitch is thrown.

Pete Booth

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.