Hello, everyone!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  umpire29 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

bradcuric
    Participant

Newbie here. I’m glad to have found this great online umpire community. I’m hoping to learn more from the other members here. Cheers! 🙂

mturman
    Participant

Welcome aboard…It has been very instrumental to my education over the years as well.

Note, be sure to spend time in the rule book before asking a rules based question as most veterans will ask for your input from that perspective first.

Also, be sure to specify what rule set the question is coming from (Fed, NCAA, MLB, ASA, etc.) as that will also have an impact on the provision of responses.

We can be a bunch of jerks sometimes…but for the most part, it’s all in love. Enjoy!

Aloha,
    Mike

heyblue26
    Participant

Welcome aboard and glad that you joined this great site, as mike mentions don’t be afraid to ask a question but do read the rulebook and what rule set you are using to your questions. We have some here that have lots more experience than others and I for one have learned a lot from here as well. As some may say you have to be thick skinned to be an umpire again welcome and enjoy.

bradcuric
    Participant

Thank you very much, everyone! Thank you all for the warm welcome!

mark38090
    Participant

Welcome, this is one of my most valuable learning tools.

umpire29
    Participant

Welcome!

typikon
    Participant

I really don’t understand why we have to warn new people, essentially, not to ask stupid questions. Why do certain people feel the need to do this when a new guy introduces himself?

If a guy asks a question straight out of the rule book, like, if a batter bunts foul on a third strike, is he out?”

“Joe, by rule, the batter is out, see definition of strike, rule 2.00., etc.”

And then once it’s answered, we’re done. Or a second responder can say, “yep, what he said.” A short thread for an easy question. Everyone wins. No one is harmed or offended.

Let’s be a little more welcoming. We’re down to about 5-6 active posters.

heyblue26
    Participant

@typikon 206575 wrote:

I really don’t understand why we have to warn new people, essentially, not to ask stupid questions. [/quote]

Great point you made I am sure we have all heard this one before The only stupid question is the one that may not be asked. I always say there is no stupid question just some one never what to be that guy to stand up an ask the question.

Richard_Siegel
    Participant

If you haven’t read this website’s ground rules in the System Tips forum, perhaps we should all review them. Ground rule No. 7 states, “There are no stupid questions… Well, actually there are, but if somebody is at a level where he needs to ask a stupid question, give him the benefit of the doubt. You were once at that level too. If you want to answer it, answer it honestly. Please don’t give a guy a hard time about asking a dumb question.”

Furthermore, I would add that there is NO requirement for one to try to look up a rule in the rulebooks before asking about it here. I am always upset when I see posters admonished for asking a rules question only to have a responder demand he look it up first. That’s just not nice. Don’t get me wrong. I think a guy should learn to use the book as much as possible to try and figure it out for himself. That promotes increased familiarity with the book. However, sometimes a guys to lazy to do it, he tried and can’t find it or he doesn’t have the book nearby so he posts the question here. That is 100% acceptable. It promotes a new thread and often triggers another question that is more interesting that the original question.

Anonymous

@typikon 206575 wrote:

I really don’t understand why we have to warn new people, essentially, not to ask stupid questions. Why do certain people feel the need to do this when a new guy introduces himself?

If a guy asks a question straight out of the rule book, like, if a batter bunts foul on a third strike, is he out?”

“Joe, by rule, the batter is out, see definition of strike, rule 2.00., etc.”

And then once it’s answered, we’re done. Or a second responder can say, “yep, what he said.” A short thread for an easy question. Everyone wins. No one is harmed or offended.

Let’s be a little more welcoming. We’re down to about 5-6 active posters.

Teach a man to fish and all that……

To your other point, maybe we’re down for the reasons you mention. It’s possible of course.
    Or……maybe traffic is down because certain active posters choose to nit-pick the shit out of others and this irritates and alienates.

Just saying. It’s a possibility.

umpire29
    Participant

Welcome.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.