Cleaning Gear

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  mturman 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

typikon
    Participant

I’ve never thought about it, but isn’t a WV essentially made from plastic that gets more brittle as it ages? How often should we replace them?

I notice a lot of guys will gear down, throw their humid gear and clothing into the trunk of the car and drive away. It seems to me that the CP and perhaps shinguards need some air to completely dry out.

Anonymous

All the above is great advice for dealing with corroded rivets on both chest protectors and shin guards. Reality is that with salty sweat, corrosion is going to happen, and you will get rust stains underneath the pads (which you can’t see but know they’re there). I just make peace with them–sand them for good measure usually at least once a season, but I know they’re more persistent than me. And I look at the sanding as more “loving on my gear” than eliminating the corrosion. I have noticed that the rivets on the West shins and chest seemed to corrode more ferociously than the rivets of others (Douglas, Force3),

I’ve never see rivets rust to the point of compromising the integrity of the protector, and I sweat a lot.

Also agree to let stuff air out and dry as much as possible. I spray everything (hats, chest, shins, and mask) with Fabreeze after every game, and let the gear dry outside or on top of the bag as often as possible.

mturman
    Participant

@msmith 206602 wrote:

Also agree to let stuff air out and dry as much as possible. I spray everything (hats, chest, shins, and mask) with Fabreeze after every game, and let the gear dry outside or on top of the bag as often as possible.

I use a generic Lysol type of spray…that way it also kills the stuff that can cause the odors and not just cover them…

But it also helps that I don’t use anything with metal parts anymore…SGs are Force3…CP is Force3…My mask is also a Force3 but that is a different story.

Aloha,
    Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.