Cleaning Gear

This topic contains 17 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  mturman 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

fatump
    Participant

I want to clean my gear for this season. I want to wash all equipment in the tub with a mild soap. Is this a good idea? Also concerned about my mask its cow hide should I:?: saturated with sopy water of what

leelee
    Participant

I wouldn’t soak any of your equipment. It will give you a whole new problem, mold and mildew. If you have a second time around store in your area, they will have a sterilization cabinet to clean your equipment. Even a hockey specialty store will have one. Usually about thirty dollars for everything. Use febreeze to keep it fresh during the season and maybe a damp cloth to wipe down hard surfaces. If you wash your equipment by soaking, you will stink like never before. I’m sure some others have other great ideas on this board.

heyblue26
    Participant

The instructions that come with most umpire equipment tell you do not submerge in water as it has been said by leelee you will have other problems and wish you had not. When I purchased my Shin guard from GD it said to clean with mild soap and water and let air dry wipe with a clean cloth.

But what ever you do, do not submerge in water. Same with CP wipe down the shell wirh a damp and clean cloth let air dry.

As far as you mask pads it is recommended that you wipe them down with a clean and damp cloth, do not soak in water or replace them if they are that bad. After your equipment has air dried then light spray with febreeze. There may be others out there that have better ideas.

Scuzzyfeller
    Participant

@fatump 119549 wrote:

I want to clean my gear for this season. I want to wash all equipment in the tub with a mild soap. Is this a good idea? Also concerned about my mask its cow hide should I:?: saturated with sopy water of what

Don’t laugh….I did this for MANY YEARS with doeskin pads before becoming a bucket head…my traditional mask with doe skins is still my back up.

From the shoe care dept; KIWI or whatever brand you have…leather cleaner / conditioner…used liberally….best to let it dry naturally over night.

MASK PADS GET WET; when they do….THAT’S NOT GOOD!

Again, from the shoe care dept; KIWI Camp Dry spray….AFTER the mask pads have dried the next day….spray them down with the camp dry….in a well ventilated area.

This should also be allowed to dry over night….if your working in any mist or a light rain….the water will just bead up and roll right off!

Want tips on cleaning your CP? Just ask….we’ve all got ideas…some more crazy than the next…

Scuzz has spoken!

Scuzz

dentist
    Participant

every now and then, especially after a very hot gameday, i rinse my cp in the shower for as long as i takes to get ride of the sweatstains. after that i let it dry in the wind.
    as i live near the seaside, there is plenty;).
    so far i haven´t experienced any mold or mildew.

Scuzzyfeller
    Participant

Depending on the type of CP, here’s how I clean my WVP.

Obviously I’ll take the padding off….

I’ll spray it liberally with a solution of either Simple Green or Simple Orange or the like….and I’ll rub it into the padding….both sides….and let it air dry….

When dry…I’ll spray it down with a Lysol type disinfectant…..and let it air dry again…

The hard shell; spray it down with a mild cleanser…again like Simple Green, etc…..and wipe it down…..

Follow that up with a spray and wipe of Armor All or your favorite knock off….that will slicken up the CP helping your plate shirt to glide a little easier…..

Leg guards…..see CP cleaning tips!

Shoes; a complete other animal….an entire separate post…

Scuzz

leelee
    Participant

Shoe are the easiest. Knock off any heavy build up, use a shoe brush to get in the grooves and spray with
    pledge no wax. They look great all the time.

fatump
    Participant

what great ideas you guys are awsome:D

kyle_jt
    Participant

Be sure to check all your metal pieces for rust. I get a small paint brush, and some flat black Rustoleum, and touch up all the exposed metal parts on my shin guards and chest protectors at the end of every season.

dileonardoja
    Participant

I use a solution of Murphy’s soap oil and water in a spray bottle for keeping shoes looking good. Spray shoes liberally and wipe with a polishing/microfiber cloth.

ump49
    Participant

For shoes I like to use the Murphy’s Oil Soap Spray http://www.colgate.com/MurphyOilSoap/products/Product-Ingredients/spray

I will put that into an old bottle of shoe shampoo, which allows me to scrub into the shoe deeper that just with a rag, plus it ends up being cleaner than using a shoe brush as you don’t have the brush lying around in your bag. When done I just wipe it down with a microfiber towel.

Base shoes I will add a coat of liquid shoe wax on after, this stops the dust from staying on the shoes throughout the game.

yawetag
    Participant

For my shoes, I clean off the dust and dirt with a microfiber cloth. If there’s any dried mud on the bottom of the shoe, I use water and a scrub brush (sometimes a toothbrush for finer areas). Then, I use Scrubbing Bubbles on the whole shoe, cleaning off with a microfiber cloth. After that, I use hair spray to shine.

aresedge
    Participant

While on the topic I took apart my west vest and noticed a few of the rivots holding the hard shell together have started to rust. Hi should I got about removing the rust and what should I do to prevent it from happening more in the future. Thanks

mturman
    Participant

@aresedge 206561 wrote:

While on the topic I took apart my west vest and noticed a few of the rivots holding the hard shell together have started to rust. Hi should I got about removing the rust and what should I do to prevent it from happening more in the future. Thanks

When I used a CP that had rivets that would rust I would either use a fine grit sand paper to clean it…you can also use muratic acid, just be careful.

Then use a flat black rustoleum paint to coat them…

Aloha,
    Mike

heyblue26
    Participant

Also I have found from what mturman has mentioned hit them with a stiff brush and maybe a 600 gain sand paper to remove the rust as much as possible then for us old military guy I use what is called Mu-new it come in a small bottle with a brush applicator and easy to apply let it dry and then go over it again with a second coat that should help. But never ever submerge you equipment in water. Ump-attire has some very good videos on how to clean your Umpire equipment with Scott Kennedy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.