Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Newbies (NO flaming allowed!)

Unread 11-03-2010, 03:13 PM   #1
sjbball34
No Avatar

sjbball34 is just getting started
Default Interested in Umpiring.....

Good morning I am a new member to the ABUA but thought I would give it a look and get some tips on how to persue becoming an umpire. I am in the Milwaukee area and was considering getting my feet wet at the high school level so if there are any tips to getting started I am all years! I have playing experience and was a catcher if that helps. Like I said I'm all ears and look forward to corresponding with you all and receiving any knowledge possible.

Thanks SJBBALL34
sjbball34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
jaxrolo
All-Star

jaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud ofjaxrolo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Interested in Umpiring.....

First of all it is likely that a good association is not going to put you at a HS level to begin with. Most likely Middle School or JV.

Get rule books and case books and read them over and over again. Don't just read but imaging the situations in your mind. I have even used little figurine army men to setup situations.
jaxrolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 12:10 AM   #3
johnnyg08
All-Star
No Avatar

johnnyg08 is movin' on upjohnnyg08 is movin' on up

Learn the rules. Being a former catcher will help you get started...but don't think you know everything just because you played. It's a completely different game from the umpire end of things. Get to a clinic or two as soon as you can. Your association will know that you're serious. Accept all feedback from your senior members. Ask for feedback and use your ears at the clinics and not your mouth unless you're asking questions. When you take your High School (FED) test, look up every question in the rule book. Don't assume you know it. Dig into the rule book and learn the mechanics of how to umpire. It can be fun...but you're new in a large metro area...so be prepared to start at the bottom and get better from there...you'll get noticed.
johnnyg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
yawetag
Crew Chief

yawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy nightyawetag is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrolo View Post
I have even used little figurine army men to setup situations.
I've never thought of that. I wonder if there would be a market for baseball players of the same size. Have two different teams (red and blue) with the following pieces:
Red Team: F1 in wind-up, F1 in set, F1 pitching; F2 standing, F2 crouching, F2 in a position similar to a play at the plate; F3 fielding, F3 on base catching ball; several other pieces of players fielding and catching balls, as well as lying on ground.
Blue Team: 3 players to count as R1, R2, R3; 1 player "diving" back to base; batter swinging, batter with bat on shoulders

Then, have a green felt (or plastic) baseball field and a baseball (possibly at the end of a dowel) to move around.

It would be a great training tool. :P
yawetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #5
VTponyump
Veteran

VTponyump enjoys it when you click on his iconVTponyump enjoys it when you click on his icon

Absolutely get a rule book...in fact, get two and (don't laugh) keep one in the bathroom. You'll be surprised how much quality reading time you can get in while dropping the deuce.

There are some good DVD/videos out there...Behind the Plate with John McSherry is a great one for learning plate work. There are some CD Roms that will allow you to select a sitch and then will animate the umpire's movements in response to the play. I have one that I actually found on EBay and it is very helpful.

And pick the brains of folks on this site. If you plan to do HS ball, the FED site (www.nfhs.org) also has a baseball officials forum.
Unread 11-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

I would also say get a MLB Rule book first and read it over and over and study and study then once you understand it. Then work backwards for the level that you want to call, get that rule book and study it.

On this site there are some great materials that you can learn from and many great people here that can help. Diamond challenge is another great one, baseball rules in plain english is another. best of luck and study like its been said.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2010, 05:01 PM   #7
western_ump
Veteran

western_ump enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
I've never thought of that. I wonder if there would be a market for baseball players of the same size. Have two different teams (red and blue) with the following pieces:
I have learned more at a bar using salt and pepper shakers, glasses, and napkins than on the field! Best way to learn when you can't be in a classroom with a white board to draw stuff out!
western_ump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblue26 View Post
I would also say get a MLB Rule book first and read it over and over and study and study then once you understand it. Then work backwards for the level that you want to call, get that rule book and study it.
I would disagree.

I'd get the rule book for the level(s) I'd be working, and then add the others as needed. So, it might be FED and then OBR.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #9
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
I would disagree.

I'd get the rule book for the level(s) I'd be working, and then add the others as needed. So, it might be FED and then OBR.
bobjenkins: Maybe I should of made a statement like if you really want to know the rules of baseball you should start with the professional rules first. And after you understand the pro rules learning and remembering the differences at the various other levels would be much easier dont you think? but again we are all entitled to what is best for each and everyone of us to learn. IMO I think it is easier to learn the Pro rules and then go backward to the level Of baseball that you want to call that way you should have a better understanding of the rules of baseball. What do you think about that idea?
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.

Last edited by heyblue26; 12-01-2010 at 08:09 PM.
Unread 12-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
semper_fi_72
Veteran Crew Chief

semper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
I would disagree.

I would disagree to disagree
Since all other rules are based and derived from OBR, I would start with OBR.

When I returned to umpiring after more than a decade off, I simply went out to a field, put my self in position and ran thru scenarios, moving as if I was covering that play.
It builds mental and muscle memory.

Try to find a mentor who is willing to help you.
I also had one assigned from my High School Association and they moved me up to Varsity after my first pre-season Varsity scrimmage game.

Get the best equipment you can afford to start.
The money you invest now will save you money later.

Be there for any Assignor you work for.
If they know they can count on you as being a good reliable umpire you will get games. Never turn back a game once you accept it, unless it is a emergency. When they call you for that last minute assignment do it anytime possible.

Make sure you thicken up your skin

Welcome to the Forum and Umpiring
semper_fi_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
celebur
Rookie
No Avatar

celebur is just getting started

Reading and re-reading the rules is important, but it's also important to understand that it is easy to misunderstand/misinterpret them. So ask questions of experienced umpires and be open to the fact that even if you think you know a rule, you might not really know it.
celebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #12
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblue26 View Post
bobjenkins: Maybe I should of made a statement like if you really want to know the rules of baseball you should start with the professional rules first. And after you understand the pro rules learning and remembering the differences at the various other levels would be much easier dont you think? but again we are all entitled to what is best for each and everyone of us to learn. IMO I think it is easier to learn the Pro rules and then go backward to the level Of baseball that you want to call that way you should have a better understanding of the rules of baseball. What do you think about that idea?
The FED and NCAA books are complete on their own. IF that's the level the OP is going to be working, then he should, in my opinion, just start with those books.

In fact, when someone moves from an OBR-based set (say, Pony) to FED, I recommend that they do not just try to identify and remember the differences, but that they "forget" all they learned about the nuances of OBR, and start fresh with FED. Go through the rules book and the case book completely and be "surprised" by all they didn't know -- just as happened (or should have happened) the first time they read OBR and J/R and JEA.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

Go through the rules book and the case book completely and be "surprised" by all they didn't know -- just as happened (or should have happened) the first time they read OBR and J/R and JEA.[/quote]

I could not agree more about being "surprised" as you have mentioned in reading OBR, J/R and JEA. I know I sure was. I still review and study each one of them over and over again.
Thanks.