Go Back   Forums > ABUA > Jim Evans Academy topics

Unread 08-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
shagina
No Avatar

shagina is just getting started
Default Jim Evans or wendelstedt school

i have been researching different schools and i would like to know. which one is the better school to go to.
shagina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jim Evans or wendelstedt school

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagina View Post
i have been researching different schools and i would like to know. which one is the better school to go to.
Why don't you tell us first what differences, and good or bad points of each school you have learned so far from the research you have done. Then we will comment or your report.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 02:10 PM   #3
denimvest
Regular

denimvest is just getting started

I think the only person who could ever answer that question with any authority would be someone who actually attended both schools. Both schools have educated thousands of professional umpires, and both have alumni in MLB. I think it's like the equivalent of asking, "which is 'better' – Harvard or Stanford?" Both institutions will give you a great education, and the 'better' one is the one that seems like a better personal fit for you. Talk to people at both schools. Get a sense of the philosophy and the 'feel.' I don't think you can go 'wrong' with either one. You're most likely talking about the two finest institutions of their kind in the world. As with college or any educational experience, it's what you put into it that matters most. I'm sure either school can and will provide you with more quality information than you could ever possibly absorb in five weeks.
denimvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
bluesails
Regular

bluesails is just getting started

I thought this was really smart. When I attended a few years ago a couple of young men stopped by to check things out, on the field and in the classroom. They took the time to discretely observe, ask questions of students and instructors, check out living accommodations/meals etc. They did this at both schools as they were planning to attend the following year. It was during the 4th week, when things are in full swing. They got a good taste of each program I'm sure. Don't know where or if they went, but it was a good approach.
bluesails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
mmorgan78
Cadet
No Avatar

mmorgan78 is infamous around these parts

Sold!

Last edited by mmorgan78; 06-07-2013 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Sold!
mmorgan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
cletus

cletus is just getting started

I have a friend that is a former MLB umpire and current NCAA umpire and he has been an instructor at both schools. I'm attending Jim Evans Academy this January solely based upon his recommendation.
cletus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Solsaa
All-Star

Solsaa enjoys spam and reese'sSolsaa enjoys spam and reese'sSolsaa enjoys spam and reese'sSolsaa enjoys spam and reese's

Not only a good choice, but the right choice.
Unread 09-08-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
bluesails
Regular

You seem to have a preference...... but give no indication how you determined that superiority. Having an opinion is fine, you offered no rationale as to how you reached that conclusion.
Unread 09-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #9
johnnyg08
All-Star
No Avatar

johnnyg08 is movin' on upjohnnyg08 is movin' on up

While he didn't give a lot of support, it doesn't make it a bad post...if you want to know more about what he thinks...maybe consider just asking him.
johnnyg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
bluesails
Regular

Did not infer the post was 'bad'. Just interested as to what influenced his decision. You can take that as a question within a comment.
Unread 09-12-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
chuck1
Regular
No Avatar

chuck1 is just getting started

How many of the students picked are 2nd year students from each school? It would be hard for a first year guy to compete with a second year guy if they take a lot of 2nd timers. Also, someone would need to know this information and take it into consideration if they knew they would have to attend school twice to get a job. This would make it twice as expensive. If that's the case, they should run 2 classes, one in January and one if February for the guys who didn't make it to try again. At least you could get it done all in one year.
Don't know. Just asking.
chuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #12
jasonk
Super Moderator
Regular
No Avatar

jasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this community

I can tell you honestly that we do not encourage students to return for a second year unless the potential is there for them to get a job. We only have 3-5 returners a year. Most of our candidates are 1st year students. Hope that helps!
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
bluesails
Regular

I can attest to what JasonK has said. There were about that amount,(3-5) of returning 2nd year students when I attended. They were, from what they told me, encouraged to repeat because they had scored well and had what they were looking for but had some areas to work on. The school indicated they had a good chance to be promoted to PBUC if improved those areas sufficiently. They do not bullshit you to get you to come back. I think all the 2nd year guys got jobs that year. There were some that had gone to both schools and a few who had gone 3, 4, even one 5 timer. They were all good umpires but didn't fit the mold I guess.