Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Mechanics

Unread 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
mike_l
Rookie
No Avatar

mike_l is just getting started
Default deciding to early

Hi,

i have a hard time calling the low and the high pitches. i feel like i judge about the location to early...
when i think the ball crosses the plate, it might be 5-8 feet in front of the hitter in reality.
any advices to get that problem fixed?

thanks
Mike
mike_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #2
iamdabobo
Regular

iamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese'siamdabobo enjoys spam and reese's
Default Re: deciding to early

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_l View Post
when i think the ball crosses the plate, it might be 5-8 feet in front of the hitter in reality.
any advices to get that problem fixed?

5-8 FEET?

Cataract surgery?

What position are you using? If you're really far back in Gerry Davis I could see this, but if you're in slot/scissors, you're practically on top of the plate, and I would REALLY worry about your eyesight.

What age levels are you doing? I know the younger ages can be tough with this because there's a lot of arc on the pitches.
iamdabobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
MrUmpireSir
Regular

MrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud ofMrUmpireSir has much to be proud of

You must see the pitch all the way into the catcher's mitt. Based on where he catches it will allow you to judge where it actually crossed the plate. Take your time, see the pitch, call the pitch.
MrUmpireSir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Paic42
Regular

Paic42 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Pause,read,react
Unread 07-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Dano
Veteran Crew Chief

Dano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant future

If you are the BU when working with me behind the dish you will see me constantly "tapping" three fingers of my right hand on my right thigh.

It is advice that Richard and many others gave to me when I was having the same issue.

Here is the advice they gave me:

1. SEE IT

2. HEAR IT

3. CALL IT

By waiting until you HEAR the pitch strike something (ground, mitt, bat, batter, or anything else in between) you will then have the proper timing.

I have had those pitches that are coming in just at the right trajectory and going to be a strike going to be a strike going to be a strike ONLY to have it die like a shot quail at the last second.

SEE THE PITCH all the way in

HEAR THE PITCH strike an object

THEN CALL IT
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #6
jtn93
Regular
No Avatar

jtn93 has a little shameless behavior in the past

its nothing till you call it
jtn93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
zam989s
Veteran

zam989s is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paic42 View Post
Pause,read,react
For calling balls/strikes? New one on me. I know this applies on the bases, but not so much behind the dish.
zam989s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
CoachJM
Crew Chief

CoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Cool Re: deciding to early

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdabobo View Post

5-8 FEET?

Cataract surgery?

What position are you using? If you're really far back in Gerry Davis I could see this, but if you're in slot/scissors, you're practically on top of the plate, and I would REALLY worry about your eyesight.

What age levels are you doing? I know the younger ages can be tough with this because there's a lot of arc on the pitches.
iamdabobo,

This issue has nothing to do with eyesight - it's all about timing.

He should simply traack the pitch with his eyes from the pitcher's hand until the pitch reaches the catcher before he even starts deciding whether the pitch is a ball or a strike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paic42 View Post
Pause,read,react
Paic,

He's having trouble calling a pitch, not deciding whether or not to "go out" on a ball to the outfield.

JM
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
KenGibes
All-Star Crew Chief

KenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond repute

For me, good timing goes a long way in preventing an umpire from anticipating a call.

With new umpires, one of the hardest things they have to overcome is bad timing, and many of their blown calls happen because they anticipated the outcome of the play before it completed.

I have several photographs that I took (for evidence) that shows a newbie umpire's hand coming up to call a runner out at 1B BEFORE the ball hits the mitt.

The same pertains to calling balls and strikes. You have to have a good stance, lock in, follow the ball with your eyes, see the pitch all the way into the catcher's mitt, and THEN decide if it's a ball or a strike.

There are a lot of threads on this board that talk about these points in detail. It would be worth your while to look them up.
KenGibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #10
Paic42
Regular

Paic42 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Maybe I should change it to slow down your timing then. If your having trouble with the knee pitch you can try moving a step closer. That has worked for me
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

New umpires all come with a misconception that they must deliver a decision, safe/out, or ball/strike as fast as possible or they fear they will look indecisive. This is completely wrong. You look far more decisive when you wait for the play to end and then deliver one right call. If you have ever reversed and out call because the ball was dropped after you called "out." Or you called a pitch and knew you got it wrong as soon as the word ball or strike left your mouth. Then you are rushing your calls and not letting the play end.

Whether the "play" is a runner sliding to a base, or a pitch coming to the batter, you must recognize when the play "ends" and only then make your decsion and the call.

Would you rather make a quick call that is wrong, or a slow one that right? Often the outcome you expect can be completely reversed in the last microsecond before the play ends. So why not wait the extra moment and get it right?

A tag ends when the runner stops moving and the fielder is holding the ball, or the ball is on the ground.

A pitch ends when you see the ball pass HP and then hear the ball touch something, i.e. the catcher, the ground, or you.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

Track the pitch to the mitt.

Watch what the mitt does.

Consider the evidence.

Decide strike or ball.

Call it.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:30 AM   #13
zam989s
Veteran

zam989s is just getting started

If the OP can get in on a bullpen/cage session with a pitcher and catcher, he could try this....

Get in your stance and lock in. Close your eyes before the pitcher throws the pitch. Don't even start to open your eyes until you hear it hit the catcher's mitt. After it hits the mitt, open your eyes and call the pitch. (When I was first taught to do this, I was told to call everything a strike just for training's sake) This will help with timing. The next step is putting tracking together with timing and actually getting the calls right.
zam989s is offline   Reply With Quote