Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 06-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
71blue
Rookie

71blue is just getting started
Smile ambidextrous pitcher

you tube has a ambidextrous pitcher. the follwing is on that site. the batter switches batters box before the pitcher is in position to pitch. once pitcher see's this he to switches glove hands to pitch. i looked at the rules & can find nothing illegal about this. i have thought the batter could change but the pitcher had to face him as a left hand pitcher or a right handed pitcher. any help on rules not opinions. i appreciate it thanks.
71blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ambidextrous pitcher

In OBR the pitcher has to declare - then he's frozen to that side for that batter. Then the batter chooses.
Unread 06-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #3
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

The pitcher must "declare" which hand he will use to pitch. This "declaration" can be made by wearing the glove on the other hand as the batter aproaches the plate.

FED: 6-1-1
NCAA: 9-2.k
OBR: Some interp a couple of years ago.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

OBR Rule 8.01f spells this action out. The pitcher may also swith arms if the arm that he is using becomes injured, but then he may not again use the injured arm to pitch in that game. the pitcher is not allowed any warm-up pitches when switching arms.

No penalization is mandated or suggested for violation of this rule. it is only suggested
line if the pitcher illegally switches arms.

(a) with runners on base, it would be a balk when he becaomes in-contact.
(with no-runners on base if recognized before the pitcher is committed to pitch then the umpire will call time and direct the pitcher to switch back to the declared arm.

If both the batter and pitcher are in violation and a pitch should take place all related action stands. A umpire can prevent violations of this ruling except in contact for a balk.

Ref J/R and OBR 2010 editions.

One of Jim Evans 7 laws of Umpiring
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
finnerty
Crew Chief
No Avatar

finnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese's

There's a sophomore left-hander at UCLA named Mitch Beacom:

He's 6'8'' and 240 pounds. But that's not his eye-opening attribute. He throws nasty sh!t on both corners with a fastball that lives in the low-90s. That's not it, either.

One day, he stepped out from the dugout, and threw a warm-up ball about 150 feet on a line to the to the left fielder. On a line---right handed! I took a double-take. It was the damndest thing I ever saw. I asked the kid about it, and he said that he throws 88 m.p.h. with good command as a righty, but that they won't let him pitch from both sides at UCLA. I said that he gets some of the weakest lefty swings I've ever seen, so maybe he should stick with that.

But it sure would be interesting to see.

So, down the road, if you see Big Mitch do it, you heard about him here, first.
finnerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
ibby135

ibby135 is just getting started

Similar scenario- Fed rules: A batter wishes to switch sides of the plate, how often can he do this? Does he have to stop when there are 2 strikes? Does he have only so many times to do this? The pitcher is not a "switch" pitcher.
ibby135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibby135 View Post
Similar scenario- Fed rules: A batter wishes to switch sides of the plate, how often can he do this? Does he have to stop when there are 2 strikes? Does he have only so many times to do this? The pitcher is not a "switch" pitcher.
[improper answer deleted]

Last edited by bobjenkins; 06-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Unread 06-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
I don't think it's covered in FED, so I'd enforce as in OBR. The batter can switch as often as he likes, as long as the pitcher is not "in a position to pitch" (or some similar words) (I'd use the "delays the game" clause to get the strike in FED). There's no additional restriction once two strikes are reached.
FED covers it in 7-3-3: "The batter shall not disconcert the pitcher by [switching boxes] while the pitcher is in a position ready to pitch." Penalty - the batter is out.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
FED covers it in 7-3-3: "The batter shall not disconcert the pitcher by [switching boxes] while the pitcher is in a position ready to pitch." Penalty - the batter is out.
That's what I thought this morning, then I decided I should look it up, and couldn't find it, so I changed my answer. I should just trust my instincts.
Unread 06-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
CoachJM
Crew Chief

CoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Cool Re: ambidextrous pitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibby135 View Post
ibby,

The batter is free to switch sides after each pitch if he so desires, regardless of the count and the number of times he has previously done so.

As long as he does it before the pitcher is ready to pitch.

JM