Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Mechanics

Unread 05-24-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
p1timeblue
Veteran
No Avatar

p1timeblue is just getting started
Default PU's Fair Signal

What's the PU's proper way to signal a fair ball down the 3B side?

1. Left arm pointing in

OR

2. Right arm pointing in, with chest parallel to the 3B-baseline like how a U3 normally signals.

OR

3. Right arm pointing in, with chest towards LF-foul pole and perpendicular to the 3B-baseline.

Thank you.3
p1timeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
abevillarreal
Regular

abevillarreal is just getting started
Smile Re: PU's Fair Signal

3... while yelling "FAIR BALL FAIR BALL" ok, you might want to leave out the verbal part.
abevillarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PU's Fair Signal

I say #3 and no verbal just point to fair territory
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
thunderheads
All-Star

thunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on up

3 ...

NO VERBAL!!!!!
Unread 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1timeblue View Post
2. Right arm pointing in, with chest parallel to the 3B-baseline like how a U3 normally signals.
Huh?

U3 and PU signal the same way (option 3 above), so I question your premise on this one.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
catoblue
Veteran

catoblue is just getting started

3 - no verbal

Upstate NY Fishing
catoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #7
p1timeblue
Veteran
No Avatar

p1timeblue is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Huh?

U3 and PU signal the same way (option 3 above), so I question your premise on this one.
Now that I think about it, if the ball touches the ground before, or close to, the bag, U3 would turn his chest towards fair territory.

But if the ball lands fair just inside the line, and obviously past the bag, U3's chest would be turned towards the foul pole since he is looking that way.

If I'm mistaken, please correct me, thanks!
p1timeblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1timeblue View Post
Now that I think about it, if the ball touches the ground before, or close to, the bag, U3 would turn his chest towards fair territory.

But if the ball lands fair just inside the line, and obviously past the bag, U3's chest would be turned towards the foul pole since he is looking that way.

If I'm mistaken, please correct me, thanks!
I think you're putting way too much thought into this.

I agree with you if the ball goes past U3 and he either needs to turn to rule on it or to chase it. either way, he's facing the foul pole and indicating fair with the right hand. THis is also what PU does (when it's his call).

If F5 stops a grounder that's U3's call, then U3 stays facing the plate and signals with the left hand (followed immediately by running toward second, as that's his responsibility).

if F5 fails to stop the grounder / line shot that's heading right for U3, the U3 scrambles to get out of the way and points however he can.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
renegadewolf
All-Star

renegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy night

when signaling fair, doesn't matter which baseline it is, use the arm that is facing the infield (left for 1st, right for second) point towards the infield and remain silent
Unread 05-26-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
Baloo
Veteran

Baloo enjoys it when you click on his iconBaloo enjoys it when you click on his icon

Definitely remember to stay silent on this one. I made that mistake once and all action on the field stopped until the left lielder realized that I said Fair and not Foul at which point it was too late for the runners and batter runner to go any further.

I got quite the earful from the coaches on both teams for that one. LOL
Unread 05-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
midwayll
Regular

midwayll enjoys it when you click on his iconmidwayll enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadewolf View Post
when signaling fair, doesn't matter which baseline it is, use the arm that is facing the infield (left for 1st, right for second) point towards the infield and remain silent
Ding, ding, ding. Winner.
midwayll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

The umpire stands straddling the line (belt buckle on the line). If you are facing the foul pole to extend the right arm and point. If you are facing HP (as U3 might) you point with the left arm. The important thing is to use the arm on the fair side of your body. Never point with the other arm reaching across your own chest. If you do that those behind you will not see your signal.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote