Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Newbies (NO flaming allowed!)

Unread 04-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #1
umpire29
Rookie
No Avatar

umpire29 is just getting started
Default Introduction

Hello everyone. My name is Ken. I have been on this Forum for a while but have never introduced myself. I am an umpire in Nova Scotia, Canada with over 20 years of experience. I am a certified Level 3 Umpire (for the members not from Canada, a lev 3 umpire is the highest provincial certification able to do any ball within the province. The next highest is Lev 4 able to work National Championships and above that is Lev 5 International able to work Pan Am Games, Olympics etc). I am a member of the Provincial Association with a membership of about 350.. This is the only association in Nova Scotia working Baseball Canada type games. There are small pockets of Little League and associated type ball in the province but the majority of Nova Scotia is Baseball Canada using slightly modified OBR (modified for different size fields for different age groups, addition of non contact rule, use of metal bats at some levels, etc). Due to my use of OBR, you will not see me commenting on situations involving other rule sets such as FED especially now as I approach the start of our season (about mid May to mid Sept) so that when I take my annual exams I will not be confused by other rules and mess up. I also am the Assigner for my area with about 80+ umpires working about 950 games over the season plus I also mentor and do evaluations. My assigning is all manual but I post the assignments online on my own web site.
umpire29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
captk
No Avatar

Default Re: Introduction

Welcome umpire29,
It's great to see someone joining this forum from up in Nova Scotia. To me I welcome every addition to this forum, for I believe our goal is to make each of us a better umpire.
I love this game, and it gives so much pleasure to me.

The only downside to officiating to me is that when I go to a pro level game, I have to sit in 1st Mezzanine above the catcher. It's the best seat in the house.

I look forward to you contributions, and I wish to become a better umpire, so thanks for the help.
Unread 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

The only downside to officiating to me is that when I go to a pro level game, I have to sit in 1st Mezzanine above the catcher. It's the best seat in the house.

I always looked at the best seat in the house as (I have to stand to see this great game of baseball).

That's why we are all here to get better.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2010, 11:26 PM   #4
polar1955
Regular

polar1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Ken,
I live just across the line from B.C., Abottsford/Huntingdon and have worked w/ umpires from Canada (BC Umps Association), Victoria infact (Cal Ripkin 11 yr. Western Regional) and enjoyed my time w/ them. They were all very professional and well organized. I hope to do it again someday....I have umpired many times the Whiterock and Wally teams who went on to LL World Series and they were top notch. I will be seeing their Pony and LL teams again this year and expect them to be great as always.

Last edited by polar1955; 04-16-2010 at 11:41 PM.
polar1955 is offline   Reply With Quote