Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Newbies (NO flaming allowed!)

Unread 02-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
gonz57

gonz57 is just getting started
Question Creasing Your Umpire Hat

How do you crease your umpire hat? By directly applying the iron or will it burn your hat? Also, at what temperature should the iron be set at? Hopefully some of you will include a picture or two.

Thanks
gonz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #2
ump_24
Crew Chief

ump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese's
Default Re: Creasing Your Umpire Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonz57 View Post
How do you crease your umpire hat? By directly applying the iron or will it burn your hat? Also, at what temperature should the iron be set at? Hopefully some of you will include a picture or two.

Thanks
Gonz,

First step is to fold your hat by hand where you want the crease. Personally, I fold it so the crease is slightly triangular right at the ventilation holes of the front of the hat

Once you've done that, head down to your ironing area. Wet a cloth so it is nice and damp and place it over top of the section of the hat you will be creasing.

As for the temperature, can't help you out too much there. The iron I use, courtesy of my mother, classifies temperature by what material you'll be ironing. Generally I just use max anyway however, because you still have the cloth to protect your hat. Working on a few pictures for you.
ump_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 04:09 AM   #3
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonz57 View Post

Thanks

I just crease it by hand. Don't use an iron. I just give it a little 5 seconds of crease work before each time I put it on.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 08:53 PM   #4
seth503
Veteran
No Avatar

seth503 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
I just crease it by hand. Don't use an iron. I just give it a little 5 seconds of crease work before each time I put it on.
I do the same as Richard. Also, I don't work in an area where this is a huge deal, but do what your association expects, same as with many subjects.
seth503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
finnerty
Crew Chief
No Avatar

finnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese'sfinnerty enjoys spam and reese's

I've been bald since college, so I have owned and worn literally hundreds of caps. I had never creased even one until I became an umpire. As an umpire, I always wear a cap that is creased. It started out as the preference of the instructors that trained me (when in Rome ...), but I have grown so accustomed to the look that I now prefer it. I truly think it adds to the overall sharpness of the umpire's whole uniform.

You can iron it or do it by hand. The iron method makes it more permanent.
finnerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
robbyrudd455
Veteran

robbyrudd455 is just getting started

I'm not a fan of hat creasing, personally.

However, I've seen guys store their hats folded up with clothes pins holding the crease of the hat to the bill of the hat. That keeps the shape.
robbyrudd455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #7
ump_24
Crew Chief

ump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese's

When I started I did not crease my hats (more correctly, at my age, I did not ask someone to crease my hats for me), partially because I had no idea umpire hats were even creased. Now that I trust myself to operate an iron, I do crease my hats.

However, at the present moment, only my hats that have logos on them are creased. I'm not sure I like the look of a creased, logo-less hat. That may change however.
ump_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 05:18 AM   #8
zam989s
Veteran

zam989s is just getting started

I just started using the iron this year when I got some new hats, and it works well. I need to make sure I use the wet towel next time, because one of the hats did get a little burn mark on it....no biggie though.

I too use clothes pins to hold the crease while I'm storing the hats.

By the way, I had never tried to wash a hat, but I threw a couple of my Richardson wool hats in the washer with other laundry and let them air dry....they're as good as new.
zam989s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

If I remember correctly reading an article by the MLB Umpire R. Drake website about this very thing. As I remember you first take the top front of the hat that you are going to crease and fold it down even with the prim of your hat so that it is even with the front edge, next take the back part of the hat and fold it so it is also even with the front half of the hat.

Now with a damp wet towel and a med hot iron and lay the towel over the hat and pressing it a few times to form the crease. Then you can use rubberbands to hold it in place over night until the next day. Remove the rubberbands and if you folded the front portion of the hat correctly you should have a nice and permant crease.

Just what I remember.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #10
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zam989s View Post
I just started using the iron this year when I got some new hats, and it works well. I need to make sure I use the wet towel next time, because one of the hats did get a little burn mark on it....no biggie though.

I too use clothes pins to hold the crease while I'm storing the hats.

By the way, I had never tried to wash a hat, but I threw a couple of my Richardson wool hats in the washer with other laundry and let them air dry....they're as good as new.
I tried washing my hats in the washer on the gentle cycle and even in the dishwaser. However, I found that the brims were never firm afterward. The cardboard in the brim apparently gets a bit too mushy from being saturated in the wash. I thought about it and decided that thing that you really need to get rid of on "dirty" hats in the the white salt (sweat stains) from perspiration that accumulates on the sides of the hat. The brim is rarely stained by the salt. Unless you drop your hat in the mud, the salt stain is the major concern to when cleaning the hat. I thought about it and realized that the salt is water soluble and should quickly dissolve if exposed to a lot of water. But how could you wash the hat without saturating the brim in a washer?

I started doing it a new way. Very primitive but it works. Once in a while when I start to notice the white salt stains begin to appear on a hat I will take the hat in the backyard and, holding it by the brim, I'll hose it off with a stiff spray from the garden hose for about 10 seconds. By holding the hat by the brim I can direct the water away from the brim so as little water as possible gets on the brim and it does not get very wet. Then I'll stuff the hat with a towel so it keeps its shape and I set the hat on a lawn chair out in the hot sun for the rest of the day. After it is dry it also comes out looking as good as new and the brim stays stiff.

Last edited by Richard_Siegel; 02-24-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #11
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Salt stains are easy to get rid of if you spray down the hat after a game, then pat it dry with a clean towel.

It's the old "spray bottle and clean towel in the gear bag" routine.
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:14 PM   #12
seth503
Veteran
No Avatar

seth503 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC14 View Post
That's how I clean off my shoes. Very versatile, those spray bottles and towels.
seth503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:54 AM   #13
Brotherhood_of_Blue
Veteran

Brotherhood_of_Blue enjoys it when you click on his iconBrotherhood_of_Blue enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC14 View Post
Salt stains are easy to get rid of if you spray down the hat after a game, then pat it dry with a clean towel.

Spray Bottle with a 50/50 mix of Water and Alcohol is a super cleaner, especially for the Salt Stains. Carried in the versatile spray bottle and pat dry with the towel. Use it on the interior of the hat also, especially around the "band" area where you tend to get buildup of things like sunscreen.