Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 10-29-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
thunderheads
All-Star

thunderheads is movin' on upthunderheads is movin' on up
Default WS Game 1

Hey guys,
Nice to finally see the Gerry Davis stance in action, ...who was that guy behind the plate anyhow?

Nice to see them get together and sort out that wierd double play.
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?c...pic_id=7224330

Also, you knew it was coming, ...what CP was Gerry Davis wearing? See at 1:59 of the video .... what the heck?

Last edited by Thunderheads; 10-29-2009 at 01:29 PM.
thunderheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all
Default Re: WS Game 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderheads View Post
Hey guys,
Nice to finally see the Gerry Davis stance in action, ...who was that guy behind the plate anyhow?

Nice to see them get together and sort out that wierd double play.
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?c...pic_id=7224330

Also, you knew it was coming, ...what CP was Gerry Davis wearing? See at 1:59 of the video .... what the heck?
I think that given his association with Wilson, he's got a one-of-kind CP on there.

Love the double play! You've got to appreciate a shortstop that plays it smart like that.... Matsui thought he was out... Cano wasn't sure... that tells the whole story of the night - the Yanks were stymied!

Last edited by BrianC14; 10-29-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 03:49 PM   #3
thunderheads
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC14 View Post
I think that given his association with Wilson, he's got a one-of-kind CP on there.
That may be a new proto-type from GDsports? Maybe he's giving it a test drive?
Unread 10-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
shickenbottom
Veteran

shickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the rough

Did anyone notice the initial call bye the 1B umpire. Safe with the off the bag for the pulled foot at about 7 seconds. This is before the discussion.

Great focus and making of the right call .
shickenbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Assign
All-Star

Assign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on upAssign is movin' on up

Quote:
That may be a new proto-type from GDsports? Maybe he's giving it a test drive?
Really?
Trying something new during a pivotal game seems odd...don't you think.
This sounds liek somethign he might try in the pre-season gaems.
Unread 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
thunderheads
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assign View Post
Really?
Trying something new during a pivotal game seems odd...don't you think.
This sounds liek somethign he might try in the pre-season gaems.
Uhmm ...who said this was his first game trying it?

He just so happened to have a plate-coat on last night. He could have been wearing it all summer and no one saw it .......yes?
Unread 10-29-2009, 11:58 PM   #7
abevillarreal
Regular

abevillarreal is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post
Did anyone notice the initial call bye the 1B umpire. Safe with the off the bag for the pulled foot at about 7 seconds. This is before the discussion.

Great focus and making of the right call .
this brings up a question, and it may just be my inexperience but why did the 1B ump motion off the bag to the foul side? I've only had to make that call at 2nd and home and both times I did it in the direction the D was off the bag. If F5 is pulled off the bag toward the infield is it proper to motion to foul ground? thanks, Abe
abevillarreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 01:52 AM   #8
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abevillarreal View Post
this brings up a question, and it may just be my inexperience but why did the 1B ump motion off the bag to the foul side? I've only had to make that call at 2nd and home and both times I did it in the direction the D was off the bag. If F5 is pulled off the bag toward the infield is it proper to motion to foul ground? thanks, Abe
You are correct, he should signal "off the base" in the direction the fielder is pulled off the base. Just like you wouldn't sell a foul call by throwing your arms in toward fair territory.
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
shickenbottom
Veteran

shickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by abevillarreal View Post
Auguie is correct, signal in the direction the fielder went. It indicates that you saw the direction the fielder went. There is an exception, If the fielder goes straight up in the air, you can go to either direction. The reason is bringing your arms up tends to simulate calling time. I know, we know the difference, however, the lay person in the stands doesn't know squat.

What I thought was well done was the fact that the umpire made the call independant of whether the ball was caught or not. Since this play took less than 2 seconds from the time the ball was touched by the SS, to the time the ball was gloved by F1, the umpire couldn't rely on what the 2nd base umpires call would have been. Then sticking with F1 and R1 to see the tag of R1. This is key. Make only calls in your area and independant of what another umpire call.s
Unread 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by shickenbottom View Post

What I thought was well done was the fact that the umpire made the call independant of whether the ball was caught or not. Since this play took less than 2 seconds from the time the ball was touched by the SS, to the time the ball was gloved by F1, the umpire couldn't rely on what the 2nd base umpires call would have been. Then sticking with F1 and R1 to see the tag of R1. This is key. Make only calls in your area and independant of what another umpire call.s
I don't think it was well done at all. U1 called Cano safe at 1st when he was already out on the catch. U1 didn't know the status of the ball, even though his partner's call was huge. It probably didn't affect the game, but it didn't look good.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #11
shickenbottom
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I don't think it was well done at all. U1 called Cano safe at 1st when he was already out on the catch. U1 didn't know the status of the ball, even though his partner's call was huge. It probably didn't affect the game, but it didn't look good.
Dash, you're missing the point. Regardless of the status of the ball (catch or no-catch), U1 made his call and stuck with the runners near 1st base. Regardless of his mechanics for the pulled foot.

U1 could have made a non-call on the B/R at first, however, the SS did not know what U2 was going to call so he stepped on the bag and fired to 1st. This is a play or an attempted play on a runner and that still requires a call to be made.

Here's a what if: What if during the umpire discussion after the play, U3 saw the ball short hop into the glove and U2 changed his call based on this information? R1 is still out since the SS stepped on 2nd prior to throwing to 1st. Then the call over at 1st becomes pivotal, because the B/R is now safe on the back end of the DP attempt. U1 still needs to make this call.
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #12
thunderheads
All-Star

Guys, just heard from GDSports, Gerry Davis had on a Riddell Power, ...Mary at GDS called it a Wilson Power, but ...she said it was 15yrs old>

Anyhow, probably what Dana DeMuth had on too,..they did look similar
Unread 11-05-2009, 02:59 AM   #13
seth503
Veteran
No Avatar

seth503 enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Guys, just heard from GDSports, Gerry Davis had on a Riddell Power
Then Gerry's CP is special indeed. Veteran umpires speak of those like the holy grail.
seth503 is offline   Reply With Quote