Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Small Diamond

Unread 10-18-2009, 05:00 AM   #1
semper_fi_72
Veteran Crew Chief

semper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant future
Default Hidden Ball Trick

LL Jr Game Today
During game 2B became dislodged and needed some work so I call time while the coach fixes base.
While we were walking back towards 1B line, coach says "Blue my F4 has the ball, we are going to make like F1 has the Ball so we can get the runner out."
He was very confused when I told him no you can't try that stunt. For me to put the ball back into play the pitcher must have the ball in his possession and take his place on the rubber.
He asked where that was in the rule book?
I said if you really want to know, meet me at my car after the game and I will show it to you.
He says, if I didn't tell you we could have gotten away with it. No Coach you wouldn't have, since the ball would have never been legally put into play, because the pitcher did not have the ball in his possession. Well Blue you tell F4 to give ball to F1. No problem, very loudly, I tell F4 to give the ball to F1 so we can resume the game.
He never did come see me after the game.
I will copy 5.11 and hand it to him next Saturday.
Why would we ever want to teach our kids to play ball like that.
That is Sandlot
semper_fi_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:08 AM   #2
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hidden Ball Trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by semper_fi_72 View Post
Why would we ever want to teach our kids to play ball like that.
That is Sandlot
Because coaches are cheating coke soakers, and players are cheating little rodents.
AugieDonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
semper_fi_72
Veteran Crew Chief

semper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant futuresemper_fi_72 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
Because coaches are cheating coke soakers, and players are cheating little rodents.
Augie
I am impressed, at least you didn't call them Brats this time....lol
semper_fi_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
bigbird69
Crew Chief
No Avatar

bigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar thing happen last year. Time was called and while whatever was going on, the P had given the ball to the SS. I saw it. Pitcher was standing on the mound carefully staying away from touching the rubber waiting for me to put it in play and is just stood there staring at him. finally I said "Son, until you have the ball and are toeing the rubber, the ball will remain out of play."

He asked me about it after the game and I told him where the problem was. Can't try the hidden ball trick from a "time" situation. He understood.

I was not able to work that level this season as I found new employment that required me to relocate before that level started play. I heard from my partner that day (still very good friends of the family) that he got it right this year on a few occaisions.
bigbird69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Augie
I am impressed, at least you didn't call them Brats this time....lol
Augie wouldn't ever do that would he?
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
kyle_jt
Crew Chief

kyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy nightkyle_jt is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
He asked where that was in the rule book?
Don't fall for this nonsense. The ol' "show me in the book" is the first step to many coaches ejection.

You should have just smiled when he told you that F2 had the ball, and said nothing. Just don't put the ball in play. Heck, he made it easy for you. In fact we was saving you from looking like a monkey by putting the ball in play with the pitcher with an empty glove. "Thanks coach!"

This guy wasn't a cheat, because he thought what he was attempting was legal. He was just ignorant. Big difference.
kyle_jt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Why would we ever want to teach our kids to play ball like that. That is Sandlot
So just what's wrong with the hidden ball trick? It gets tried at all levels including MLB.
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
postman
Regular
No Avatar

postman is just getting started

There are a lot of "sandlot / loser" plays in all sports and most is typically in the 'under 12' age groups by coaches that think it is funny to outwit a 10 yr old having fun playing in sports.

there are several idiot/sandlot plays in baseball and they compare to the 'check hike' or "coach this ball is flat" play in football. From a 'coach perspective', it is lame axx to put these in. Some of us coaches are trying to work on rules, fundamentals, etc, so we can churn out high school players or give kids an opportunity to play sports for various reasons and then we have to have 'jokes' come in make us concerned about these lame plays.

I just love it when other coaches and teams try this crap any my players didn't fall for it and the essentially laugh it off or even say "don't try that sandlot crap with us" to the other team.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
ump_24
Crew Chief

ump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
There are a lot of "sandlot / loser" plays in all sports and most is typically in the 'under 12' age groups by coaches that think it is funny to outwit a 10 yr old having fun playing in sports.

there are several idiot/sandlot plays in baseball and they compare to the 'check hike' or "coach this ball is flat" play in football. From a 'coach perspective', it is lame axx to put these in. Some of us coaches are trying to work on rules, fundamentals, etc, so we can churn out high school players or give kids an opportunity to play sports for various reasons and then we have to have 'jokes' come in make us concerned about these lame plays.

I just love it when other coaches and teams try this crap any my players didn't fall for it and the essentially laugh it off or even say "don't try that sandlot crap with us" to the other team.
Watch the celebration if they do pull it off though....

Congratulations, you're smarter than a fifth grader...
ump_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
postman
Regular
No Avatar

postman is just getting started

True there Ump24. And usually the guy jumping the highest, yelling the loudest and pumping the fists is usually the coach.... Embrassing for the 'coaches profession' in my opinion. But if it isn'st against the rules.... It just does not teach them much and as they start to play higher level ball (for those that have the skill and the instruction), it weeds itself out....

almost like the 9 yr old waving the bat around in a bunt stance to 'distract' the pitcher on a 3-0 count. funny as hell when the less skilled players (usually) continue that as they get to upper level ball and a catcher leans over and says "hey, leave the Little League crap at home..." heck I even smiled on that one after the catcher said it.
postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
So just what's wrong with the hidden ball trick? It gets tried at all levels including MLB.
Nothing, provided the ball is alive when they try it, and the pitcher doesn't stand on or near the pitcher's plate. Otherwise it's not going to happen, because no competent umpire will put the ball back in play without the pitcher on the rubber, so the play has zero chance of success.
AugieDonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #12
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli View Post
Nothing, provided the ball is alive when they try it, and the pitcher doesn't stand on or near the pitcher's plate. Otherwise it's not going to happen, because no competent umpire will put the ball back in play without the pitcher on the rubber, so the play has zero chance of success.

I know it has to be a live ball. I know you can't put the ball in play ubtil the pitcher has the ball on the rubber. That's not the issue.

A lot of coaches don't understand the necessity to makke the ball live properly. That doesn't make them cheaters. Heck, if they knew the rule they wouldn't try what the OP said they tried.

BUT!

and the pitcher doesn't stand on or near the pitcher's plate

Leave out the "on" and it's legal and part of the trick. The play itself is legal and not cheating - like it or not.
Unread 11-16-2009, 02:26 AM   #13
slatham
Cadet
No Avatar

slatham is just getting started

In LL, what is the call and action when a pitcher actually takes the rubber without the ball in attempt at the hidden ball trick?
slatham is offline   Reply With Quote