Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Situations

Unread 07-31-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
renegadewolf
All-Star

renegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Default Signaling intentional walk

Just a quick question, if a catcher is standing up, holding his arm straight out as though to signal an intentional walk and the pitcher fires on straight down the pipe, should this simply be called a strike, or could this be considered an act of deception. I don't ever recall reading a rule that states when a catcher stands up and points away from the batter that anything beyond the catcher being in their box until the pitch is delivered, but it seems kinda dirty pool to me. any input?
renegadewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
SocalBlue1
Veteran

SocalBlue1 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Signaling intentional walk

A strike is a strike. F2 is normally asking for time right away to gp talk to the bonehead on the hill.
SocalBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadewolf View Post
should this simply be called a strike, or could this be considered an act of deception.
Those aren't mutually exclusive items. It's both a strike and it's deception. It's also legal.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
KenGibes
All-Star Crew Chief

KenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just a quick question, if a catcher is standing up, holding his arm straight out as though to signal an intentional walk and the pitcher fires on straight down the pipe, should this simply be called a strike, or could this be considered an act of deception. I don't ever recall reading a rule that states when a catcher stands up and points away from the batter that anything beyond the catcher being in their box until the pitch is delivered, but it seems kinda dirty pool to me. any input?
Maybe we should ask Johnny Bench about the morality of this play...
KenGibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGibes View Post
Maybe we should ask Johnny Bench about the morality of this play...
I used to know a woman who dated Bench, and from what I gathered from her, morality wasn't Johnny's strong suit.
AugieDonatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
HugoTafurst
Veteran

HugoTafurst is movin' on upHugoTafurst is movin' on upHugoTafurst is movin' on up
Send a message via AIM to HugoTafurst Send a message via Yahoo to HugoTafurst

Quote:
What???
Deception, "Dirty Pool" in baseball????
Punish the usual suspects.......

OK, sarcasm over for a minute:
Exactly what is wrong with trying to decieve a batter.
Should change-ups now be ilegal? Curve Balls?
HugoTafurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
What???

Knuckeballs should be because they deceive everybody.
Unread 07-31-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Quote:
This is why the DH rule stinks.
If a guy pulled this stunt in the NL, he'd better hope he's pulled before his next at-bat.
Then again, whoever leads off for that team next inning might be the receiver of the message that's going to be sent.
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
renegadewolf
All-Star

renegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
What???

I'll be honest here I am still a noob to this, i am a level 1a (first year) umpire and still get confused on things. I think I've done a pretty good job of learning and understanding the rules of baseball, and I admit sometimes i might see an odd situation where I've not seen a situation and end up making something out of nothing, such as this one, but this is why i ask, I learn and i hopefully become a better umpire for it, and I do honestly appreciate all the input

thanks a bunch
renegadewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC14 View Post
This is why the DH rule stinks.
If a guy pulled this stunt in the NL, he'd better hope he's pulled before his next at-bat.
Then again, whoever leads off for that team next inning might be the receiver of the message that's going to be sent.
It did get pulled in the NL. Johnny Bench was the victim. No one "got even".
Unread 07-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #11
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Signaling intentional walk

Quote:
I'll be honest here I am still a noob to this, i am a level 1a (first year) umpire and still get confused on things. I think I've done a pretty good job of learning and understanding the rules of baseball, and I admit sometimes i might see an odd situation where I've not seen a situation and end up making something out of nothing, such as this one, but this is why i ask, I learn and i hopefully become a better umpire for it, and I do honestly appreciate all the input

thanks a bunch
There you go, Renegade. There isn't an umpire out there that hasn't had something odd happen in a game at some point and wonder about it.

You've got the right attitude about improving your craft!
Unread 07-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #12
Tim_C
All-Star

Tim_C is movin' on upTim_C is movin' on upTim_C is movin' on up

Rich, I maybe wrong, but I believe it was a World Series games against Oakland when Johnny got fooled.

And Brain I disagree that there would be a "message sent."
Tim_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_C View Post
Rich, I maybe wrong, but I believe it was a World Series games against Oakland when Johnny got fooled.

And Brain I disagree that there would be a "message sent."
I wouldn't know - I haven't seen every single time it's ever been done, in every baseball game ever played at every level.
Geez, guys, I wasn't talking in absolutes here. Let's say it COULD happen, OK?