Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > General

Unread 07-27-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
ExCop
Crew Chief

ExCop is movin' on upExCop is movin' on up
Default Intercounty Baseball - Ontario: What's Up?

I have "heard" that the Intercounty Baseball League (a semi-pro thing) has disbanded its umpiring crews and now just uses local schedulers. A cost-saving thing apparently.

Confirm? Deny? Background?

- G. K. Chesterton
ExCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Baloo
Veteran

Baloo enjoys it when you click on his iconBaloo enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default Re: Intercounty Baseball - Ontario: What's Up?

This is news to me and my son plays in the Intercounty. I know a few of the guys that do the games but I haven't heard anything from them. The last game I went there happened to be an umpire I know from our Minor baseball association and he was working with one other local guy and a guy from out of town. I'll ask him next time I see him.
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #3
ump49
Regular

ump49 is just getting started

IBL Announces New Umpire Agreement - 6/10/2009
The Major Council of the IBL and its Umpires announced today a new three year agreement. The new partnership focuses on a continuing and professional strategy to serve the game, the players and our fans.

The agreement forms the basis for a partnership between the umpiring community and the IBL," says Jamie Killingsworth, a member of the Umpire Supervision Committee, which also includes Chris Wilhelm and Peter Skrypka. "The League sees umpire development as a priority. Concerns expressed in the areas of player-coach discipline and communication between the umpiring community and the IBL have also been addressed. We are excited to be working with the League to forge a new relationship that will only improve the quality of umpiring in the League."

Dave Mills of the Barrie Baycats on behalf of the Major Council stated," "IBL ownership is pleased to have a working agreement in place that establishes a solid framework of umpiring for the next three years".

The partnership continues to respect the significant role and contributions that umpires make to the quality of the game. New initiatives to restructure and develop our officials are a key component to the new agreement.

The role of the IBL Umpire-in-Chief will be fulfilled by the three Umpire Supervision Committee members.

Commissioner Jim Rooney expressed his appreciation for the collaboration to complete the agreement and the importance of renewal of the culture.
ump49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
ExCop
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump49 View Post
IBL Announces New Umpire Agreement - 6/10/2009
The Major Council of the IBL and its Umpires announced today a new three year agreement. The new partnership focuses on a continuing and professional strategy to serve the game, the players and our fans.

The agreement forms the basis for a partnership between the umpiring community and the IBL," says Jamie Killingsworth, a member of the Umpire Supervision Committee, which also includes Chris Wilhelm and Peter Skrypka. "The League sees umpire development as a priority. Concerns expressed in the areas of player-coach discipline and communication between the umpiring community and the IBL have also been addressed. We are excited to be working with the League to forge a new relationship that will only improve the quality of umpiring in the League."

Dave Mills of the Barrie Baycats on behalf of the Major Council stated," "IBL ownership is pleased to have a working agreement in place that establishes a solid framework of umpiring for the next three years".

The partnership continues to respect the significant role and contributions that umpires make to the quality of the game. New initiatives to restructure and develop our officials are a key component to the new agreement.

The role of the IBL Umpire-in-Chief will be fulfilled by the three Umpire Supervision Committee members.

Commissioner Jim Rooney expressed his appreciation for the collaboration to complete the agreement and the importance of renewal of the culture.
And this means what, exactly? What is this agreement? What does it say? Does anyone know?

- G. K. Chesterton
Unread 07-30-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
Baloo
Veteran

Baloo enjoys it when you click on his iconBaloo enjoys it when you click on his icon

Doesn't make much sense to me but I do know that the last 2 IBL games I went to, they used local guys.
Unread 07-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
ump_24
Crew Chief

ump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese's

unless something has changed in the last 2 weeks, here's what i've had several IC guys tell me:

There are no more full time crews. in years past, they had an assigned "Crew Chief", and 2-3 other guys. They would work together exclusively, as booked by the league. If they could not come up with 3 guys, the crew chief could "borrow" from another crew for that game.

This year, games are still booked by the league. I know this for sure, as the T-Birds approached the Hamilton association, and asked them to cover their home games. After checking with the league, the association president (who is on the league roster) declined.

Crews are assembled on a game by game basis, using three available umpires. They try not to use a local crew, but they get what they can get.

Eg: the Twins / T - Birds game in Hamilton where the Twins batter threw his bat at PU after called K3....PU and one base umpire were from Hamilton

the recent Panthers / T - Birds game in Kitchener...plate and 3B were from Brampton, 1B was from Missisauga. All under age 30 for the record

Not sure about this, or if it is different from years past, but in addition to the $85 / $65 / $65, and I heard teams must give $190 in travel money to the senior umpire, who will distribute it among the crew dependant on how far each umpire had to travel.
ump_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
ExCop
Crew Chief

Thanks. This is solid info. Any idea what they're doing in TO? Those fees seem kinda low to me, given what Junior and Senior pay.

- G. K. Chesterton
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
lustersilk
All-Star

lustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ump_24 View Post

Eg: the Twins / T - Birds game in Hamilton where the Twins batter threw his bat at PU after called K3
Baseball in Canada sounds pretty awesome to me.
lustersilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Baloo
Veteran

As the old commercial for the Toronto Blue Jays said
"It's a whole different game up here."
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
ump49
Regular

ump49 is just getting started

Guys I am in the IBL so I can probably bring you a little farther up to speed, along with Ref93. In the past there have been "Crew Chiefs" in various cities (Toronto, Hamilton, London etc.). They would have a crew that varied from 4 or 5 up to about 15-20. From there the UIC would assign each crew to a game trying to stay away from the local crew when possible. Travel pay was set based on the crew's home base and was paid only for one car.

Now umpires are assigned by a central assigner, so you could get someone from Oshawa working with two guys from Hamilton in Barrie. Travel is paid based now on a door to door basis to a max of $300 and is based on the Umpire who travelled farthest. This helps those who are located out of the IBL towns; ie: the old Oshawa crew covered umpires from Oshawa east. So an umpire could come from an hour east of Oshawa and still only be paid travel from Oshawa. The crew will now split up the money according to travel length.

There has also been changes to how disipline is being handled by the league. Also the league has set up a fund to help with umpire development as well.
ump49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #11
ump_24
Crew Chief

ump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese'sump_24 enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustersilk View Post
Baseball in Canada sounds pretty awesome to me.
Granted this is a second hand report, but I personally know the PU from that game...he didn't want to discuss it in detail, but the impression I got was that it was similar to the Ramirez elbow pad incident a few weeks ago, where it was tossed in the direction of Hirschbeck, as opposed to what Delmon Young did in AAA a couple years back.

As for this league's discipline...the league is, for the most part, full of former pros and career minor leaguers. Case and point, Paul Spoljaric took a perfect game into the 9th last week. Granted, there is the odd prospect, like the kid from Brantford who went in the MLB draft.

That said, the vets are all still bitter at "the man" that they missed "their shot" and their behaviour is accordingly atrocious. Worse, the league does not clamp down on it. Hence why the supervisor of umpires resigned after last season. The straw that broke the camel's back was an article in an Oshawa paper written by the Dodger's manager calling the 4 umpires in the playoff game that his team lost (eliminating them) a day or two earlier things like unprofessional and biased. It was a full page in the paper. And it was all because he thought the 2B umpire wanted his sons team (Brantford) to face London instead of Oshawa in the finals, so he kicked a few calls in favour of London and told his fellow umpires to do the same, and ripped the league for assigning this particular umpire to the game, let alone any league contest.

A) I guess he didn't realize London was the higher seeded team with the better record against Brantford
B) Guess he's never heard of the Wolf brothers.

In short, the league is an independant league not sanctioned by anybody, so the behavioural problems are swept under the rug.
ump_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #12
lustersilk
All-Star

lustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese's

It's a shame an article like that was even published. Very unprofessional. The league sounds pretty cool, from a spectator's standpoint. That sort of what I was thinking when I commented earlier. It sounds like it could be a pain to umpire. It might be unusual and interesting though. Doesn't sound like "the same thing day in and day out" that's for sure.
lustersilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #13
Baloo
Veteran

I can tell you from a spectator standpoint that it is a great league to watch play. My son has been in it for the past 4 years and has learned a lot from the veterans. From an umpiring standpoint I don't know but it could be tough to work in because the egos are bigger in some cases but for the most part I haven't seen anything like what has been described in the post above.