Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 07-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
mudder
Regular
No Avatar

mudder is just getting started
Default Bat Hitting Ball Twice

Can someone cite (and briefly explain) the rules re:bat hitting the ball twice, specifically the difference (if any) between moving bat on ground hitting ball vs ball hitting motionless bat on ground.

Something came up during a recent game that my partner and I disagreed on.
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bat Hitting Ball Twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudder View Post
Can someone cite (and briefly explain) the rules re:bat hitting the ball twice, specifically the difference (if any) between moving bat on ground hitting ball vs ball hitting motionless bat on ground.

Something came up during a recent game that my partner and I disagreed on.
Depends on the rules code.

In OBR, if the bat is still moving, then the batter is out. If the bat has come to rest, then the touching is ignored (the ball is still neither fair nor foul -- it will become one or the other depending on what happens next.)
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
CoachJM
Crew Chief

CoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Cool Re: Bat Hitting Ball Twice

mudder,

It's 6.05(h):

Quote:
6.05 A batter is out when—

(h) After hitting or bunting a fair ball, his bat hits the ball a second time in fair territory. The ball is dead and no runners may advance. If the batter-runner drops his bat and the ball rolls against the bat in fair territory and, in the umpire’s judgment, there was no intention to interfere with the course of the ball, the ball is alive and in play;
It's considered a form of interference when the bat hits the ball. If the ball hits the bat, it's simply treated as a batted ball hitting a "foreign object" while on or over fair territory.

By interpretation, if the ball hits the ground and bounces up hits the bat while the batter is still holding it and before he has left the batter's box, it is simply treated as a foul ball - even if the contact occurred over fair territory.

Under FED rules, you need "intent" to get an out, even if the bat hits the ball.

JM
Unread 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
mark38090
Veteran

mark38090 is a pillar in this communitymark38090 is a pillar in this communitymark38090 is a pillar in this communitymark38090 is a pillar in this communitymark38090 is a pillar in this communitymark38090 is a pillar in this communitymark38090 is a pillar in this communitymark38090 is a pillar in this community

OK so correct me if I got this one wrong... Cal Ripken minors, BR bunts, ball bounces up off plate, BR drops bat but it hits ball on the way down, ball winds up fair with close play at 1B. HC comes out and questions foul ball because of contact in box. I said no, play stands, un-intentional and BR was not in contact with bat and had no intent. Did I blow that?
mark38090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
TomClarke
Super Moderator
Regular

TomClarke has much to be proud ofTomClarke has much to be proud ofTomClarke has much to be proud ofTomClarke has much to be proud ofTomClarke has much to be proud ofTomClarke has much to be proud ofTomClarke has much to be proud of

sounds like you did. as a general rule of thumb...bat hits ball = out. ball hits bat = play on.
Unread 07-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #6
umpgent
Regular
No Avatar

umpgent is movin' on upumpgent is movin' on up

Mark, I'd say you got it wrong, but nothing I would worry about. That is a very difficult call as described.

If the batter was still holding the bat = foul ball.
If he had already dropped it = out.

You could probably sell this call as a foul (dead) ball better than a fair ball if you are not quite sure.

Another very tough call is when the batter bunts, and takes his first step toward first when the ball bounces up and hits him. Foul Ball? Interference?

If the batter's foot has come down on the ground clearly outside the box before the ball hits him, I'm ringing him up ... otherwise ... or if I'm not sure ... foul ball.
umpgent is offline   Reply With Quote