Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Mechanics

Unread 06-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
rarias3
Cadet

rarias3 is just getting started
Default Catcher drops called 3rd strike

Hey guys, wanted to get your take on this. Normally, when I umpire kids that are HS age, if the catcher drops any corner/slightly off the plate, I'll let em know that if they want that pitch, they're going to have to catch it. However, with some of the younger ones on the 70' Babe Ruth diamond, some can't even catch pitches that split the plate in half, which I can't blame the pitcher for so I have to call a strike. What I want to clear up is what should be the proper mechanic for calling a dropped, called third strike? Keep in mind the 70' Babe Ruth rules are the same rules the big kids play by, so a tag of the runner or first base would be necessary.

I've stopped myself a couple times in the middle of my "STRIKE 3" punchout because the little squirt dropped a pitch that was waist high right down the pipe!!! I then pointed to the ground as I would on a normal swinging third strike. What should I do???
rarias3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
CoachJM
Crew Chief

CoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Cool Re: Catcher drops called 3rd strike

rarias,

First, SLOW DOWN!

Second, should the batter become a runner on a third strike not caught, simply point or hammer and verbalize the strike as you would on any called strike where the batter is not out.

If the catcher or BR shows any sign of confusion as to whether you judged the pitch was caught or not, verbalize "No Catch!". You may also give a "Safe" mechanic as you do so.

JM
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #3
papablue62
Cadet

papablue62 is just getting started
Default Re: Catcher drops called 3rd strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarias3 View Post
What I want to clear up is what should be the proper mechanic for calling a dropped, called third strike? Keep in mind the 70' Babe Ruth rules are the same rules the big kids play by, so a tag of the runner or first base would be necessary.
What I've been trained is to use your normal strike 3 mechanic, followed by a silent, palms-down, arms-extended-to-the-sides signal to signify the dropped third strike.

John
papablue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
.....I've stopped myself a couple times in the middle of my "STRIKE 3" punchout because the little squirt dropped a pitch that was waist high right down the pipe!!! I then pointed to the ground as I would on a normal swinging third strike. What should I do???
What should you do? CALL THE STRIKE!!

With 12 y/o pitchers you don't want to give away strikes, you don't get that many. Why penalize the pitcher for the catcher dropping the ball? I don't get it.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
CoachJM
Crew Chief

CoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Richard,

I believe he already understands that.

He's asking a mechanics question.

JM
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
rarias3
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
What should you do? CALL THE STRIKE!!

With 12 y/o pitchers you don't want to give away strikes, you don't get that many. Why penalize the pitcher for the catcher dropping the ball? I don't get it.
Rich,

I think maybe I wasn't clear in my initial post, I am definitely not questioning whether I should call it a strike or not. Believe me, I've learned that with any kids younger than JV ball, you have to take strikes whenever you can or else my legs will not like me the next day. My question is to what my mechanics should be in this situation. I know I need to slow down a bit and make sure not to start my punchout if the catcher drops the pitch, but wasn't sure if I should point to the ground as I normally do on a dropped third strike?
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Rich,

...I know I need to slow down a bit and make sure not to start my punchout if the catcher drops the pitch, ......
This what I don't understand... why would you not punchout the batter if the catcher drops the ball? If it is strike 3, call it. If the ball is not caught, that is another mechanic. "no catch"
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
rarias3
Cadet

Quote:
This what I don't understand... why would you not punchout the batter if the catcher drops the ball? If it is strike 3, call it. If the ball is not caught, that is another mechanic. "no catch"
I think we're on the same page...if the catcher drops the pitch, it's a strike but the punchout is the wrong mechanic, right? a simple, normal strike call would be the mechanic, do i need to verbalize the "no catch" even if everyone sees the catcher drop the pitch?
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
CoachJM
Crew Chief

Quote:
This what I don't understand... why would you not punchout the batter if the catcher drops the ball? ...
Richard,

Huh??? How about because he's not out?

Do you really use the same "puchout" mechanic when a batter is out on a caught called third strike and when the batter has become a runner on an uncaught called third strike?

JM
Unread 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #10
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM View Post
Richard,

Huh??? How about because he's not out?

Do you really use the same "puchout" mechanic when a batter is out on a caught called third strike and when the batter has become a runner on an uncaught called third strike?

JM
Yes I do. It is a chain-saw pull and I say "Strike three!" ...Works for all situations.
Unread 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yes I do. It is a chain-saw pull and I say "Strike three!" ...Works for all situations.
Same here. Followed by the "no-catch" mechanic (as already stated). I got dinged at a college clinic for NOT using my normal called 3rd strike mechanic.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 12:24 AM   #12
CoachJM
Crew Chief

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Same here. Followed by the "no-catch" mechanic (as already stated). I got dinged at a college clinic for NOT using my normal called 3rd strike mechanic.
Wow!!! YGTBSM!

I know both of you know your stuff, so this really surprises me - because it is VERY different from how I was taught.

I was always taught that your "puch-out" (whatever "style" you use) MEANS the batter is out. If the batter has become a runner on strike three you just indicate the strike (as you would on strike one or strike two), because the batter is not yet out.

Maybe it's a regional thing or I simply misunderstood.

I'd be very interested to get Tom Clarke and Tim_C's take on this.

JM
Unread 06-12-2009, 12:57 AM   #13
Matt13
All-Star

Matt13 is movin' on upMatt13 is movin' on up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
I'm with these two.