Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 05-30-2009, 04:57 AM   #1
postman
Regular
No Avatar

postman is just getting started
Default Catcher wearing 'signal sheet' on forearm

Is there any rule that a catcher can/cannot wear a arm band - think of the NFL QB's - that have signals on it? The coach calls in a series of numbers for pitch selection/location/etc and possibly other defensive plays?

I believe there is something that says coaches can't use 'flash cards', electronic communications, etc. But I am not aware that a catcher can't wear something as simple as an 'arm/wrist band'.

Just confirming. Thanks
postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 05:05 AM   #2
BT_Blue
Crew Chief

BT_Blue enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default Re: Catcher wearing 'signal sheet' on forearm

Ive never heard of any such rule in any code... it annoys the hell out of me cause it take time for the, usually, three digit number to come out of the coaches mouth. Then the catcher looks down. Finds the corresponding number. Puts down the sign and then the pitcher pitches.

Just annoying.
BT_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

Not nearly as annoying as the batter with an 0-2 count and nobody on, stepping out with 1 foot and watching the base coach go through a series of signs like a yellow shirt on an aircraft carrier.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
waltjp
Rookie

waltjp is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Not nearly as annoying as the batter with an 0-2 count and nobody on, stepping out with 1 foot and watching the base coach go through a series of signs like a yellow shirt on an aircraft carrier.
Now this is funny!
waltjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by postman View Post
I believe there is something that says coaches can't use 'flash cards',
A coach in the dugout can use flash cards or other non-electronic means of communication.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
mr umpire
All-Star
No Avatar

mr umpire enjoys it when you click on his icon

Quote:
Is there any rule that a catcher can/cannot wear a arm band - think of the NFL QB's - that have signals on it? The coach calls in a series of numbers for pitch selection/location/etc and possibly other defensive plays?

I believe there is something that says coaches can't use 'flash cards', electronic communications, etc. But I am not aware that a catcher can't wear something as simple as an 'arm/wrist band'.

Just confirming. Thanks
No rule against it. But, if I were the coach, I'd come up with a better way. If my method is too confusing for my catcher(who is supposed to be smarter than everyone else on the field b/c of the complexity of the position), then I would find a better way.

What if the catcher loses his cheat sheet somehow on a play and the other team gets it? Then what? Now, we have to make another sheet while he is out there wondering what the numbers mean now. Maybe, this coach should be looking for another catcher b/c this one can't handle a call of 3-5-89 and know what that means. Maybe, the coach should get the SignalFan and see if this catcher can remember that. I doubt it.

Last edited by mr umpire; 05-30-2009 at 06:09 PM.
mr umpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
KenGibes
All-Star Crew Chief

KenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond reputeKenGibes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post

Just as bad... a young batter standing with 1 foot out of the box, staring at the base coach who's busy doing something else and has no intention of sending any signals. The batter has had it drilled into him, "Do NOT step into that box without checking for signals!!!!", so he stands there while the coach is ogling some hot mom in the stands.

Even with my prodding ("C'mon, batter... let's go.") the batter usually enters the box very slowly and reluctantly.
KenGibes is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
widac
Regular

widac is just getting started
Angry Re: Catcher wearing 'signal sheet' on forearm

Quote:
Is there any rule that a catcher can/cannot wear a arm band - think of the NFL QB's - that have signals on it?
I wish that there was. We have a couple teams around here that have every player with an arm band and they call out numbers for everything, pitches, batting signs, defense...it's a freakin' nightmare. The best(worst) is when the kid gets a number yelled at him and realizes that he needs to switch his cheat sheat from offense to defense or whatever.
widac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
arca
No Avatar

arca is just getting started

I've worked games where the coach yells out a series of numbers to the catcher- and the catcher then gives the sign to the pitcher-
after a while though the opponents catch on so they have to do something different.

The question for me is the balk (or not) if the pitcher receives the sign while off the rubber?
arca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #10
Dragon29
All-Star

Dragon29 is movin' on upDragon29 is movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGibes View Post
Just as bad... a young batter standing with 1 foot out of the box, staring at the base coach who's busy doing something else and has no intention of sending any signals. The batter has had it drilled into him, "Do NOT step into that box without checking for signals!!!!", so he stands there while the coach is ogling some hot mom in the stands.

Even with my prodding ("C'mon, batter... let's go.") the batter usually enters the box very slowly and reluctantly.

Ken,

This happens to me all the time - I usually get a smile (and better cooperation) from the batter when I point out that his coach isn't paying attention. "Hey, if he doesn't care . . . "