Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Small Diamond

Unread 05-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #1
jessakers
No Avatar

jessakers is just getting started
Default player slides home and is tagged out in dugout

I have a question here .... today a runner on our team slid home making a run. After coming into the dugout and removing his helmut the catcher (way delayed) comes running into the dugout to tag him out. The umpire apparently (delayed as well) announced that he didn't touch home plate. Everyone was up in arms due to the delay of play and the fact that he slid on home plate???? Can this actually happen?????
jessakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: player slides home and is tagged out in dugout

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessakers View Post
I have a question here .... today a runner on our team slid home making a run. After coming into the dugout and removing his helmut the catcher (way delayed) comes running into the dugout to tag him out. The umpire apparently (delayed as well) announced that he didn't touch home plate. Everyone was up in arms due to the delay of play and the fact that he slid on home plate???? Can this actually happen?????
The delay is expected because if a runner misses the plate it must be appealed to the umpire by the defense. The umpire cannot call the out on his own and cannot point out the miss to either team.

Whether or not the runner touched the plate is judgement. Apparently both the umpire and the defense thought the runner missed the plate so "everyone" wasn't up in arms.

All the catcher really had to do was touch the plate and appeal the miss.

The runner could not return to touch the plate after entering the dugout.
Unread 05-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Dragon29
All-Star

Dragon29 is movin' on upDragon29 is movin' on up

Rich is 100% right - to continue with this though . . .

As PU, even if I see the runner miss, I'm not sure I'm calling him out if F2 chases him into his dugout. I believe I'd wait for a proper appeal - the dugout isn't where that's done. If he catches him just outside of his dugout, OK (a waste of F2's time & energy, but OK); if he doesn't tag him until he's all the way in, I don't think so. I don't want opposing players in each other's dugouts.
Unread 08-04-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
renegadewolf
All-Star

renegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy nightrenegadewolf is a beacon of light on a stormy night

I could be way off here, wouldn't be the first time, likely won't be the last either, but wether or not the plate was touched is a judgment call made by the umpire, the proper mechanic when the runner doesn't touch the plate and isn't tagged is to do nothing, as has been pointed out in many posts. Personally I would have (in house league) called the batter out as soon as he walked off the field, but in rep level ball I would wait for the appeal as per OBR 7.08 (k) I could be way off on this too, but if the catcher has taken the ball into the dugout they have brought the ball out of play and were there any base runners they aught to be awarded one base - 7.0.4(c) which if I am correct (please correct em if i am wrong) would actually negate the fielding teams ability to appeal the runner missing the plate.

or just tell me I've been sniffing too much glue
renegadewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadewolf View Post
I could be way off here, wouldn't be the first time, likely won't be the last either, but wether or not the plate was touched is a judgment call made by the umpire, the proper mechanic when the runner doesn't touch the plate and isn't tagged is to do nothing, as has been pointed out in many posts. Personally I would have (in house league) called the batter out as soon as he walked off the field, but in rep level ball I would wait for the appeal as per OBR 7.08 (k) I could be way off on this too, but if the catcher has taken the ball into the dugout they have brought the ball out of play and were there any base runners they aught to be awarded one base - 7.0.4(c) which if I am correct (please correct em if i am wrong) would actually negate the fielding teams ability to appeal the runner missing the plate.

Personally I would have (in house league) called the batter out as soon as he walked off the field, but in rep level ball I would wait for the appeal as per OBR 7.08 (k)

You MUST wait for the appeal.

if the catcher has taken the ball into the dugout they have brought the ball out of play and were there any base runners they aught to be awarded one base

OK here. But be prepared for people to go nuts when you do it.

In addition, because the ball is dead the tag in the dugout is meaningless. That will probably go over better.
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #6
rampro
No Avatar

rampro is just getting started

Quote:

According to J/R this is a 2 base award:

A. Overthrows

Every runner is awarded two bases after an overthrow. ...

It is an overthrow when:

(5) a fielder possesses a batted or thrown ball and intentionally enters DBT (the "throw" occurs when then he enters DBT)
rampro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
robcichon
Regular

robcichon is just getting started
Angry Re: player slides home and is tagged out in dugout

"TIME!" says I.
If any baserunners, "You....there (pointing to their proper advance base)".

When Charlie wants to know why, "Charlie, your Catcher carried the ball into dead ball territory. As to his 'play on the runner': All appeals are live ball appeals ONLY".

I have no problem explaining why the ball is now dead and the base awards as well as 'live ball appeals'.

I will not explain the 'appeal process' further. He can read too.

Last edited by robcichon; 08-06-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: clarify
robcichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!" - Lloyd Bridges, Airplane
Unread 08-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #9
bigbird69
Crew Chief
No Avatar

bigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond reputebigbird69 has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen this once and I was not even on the field. Bases loaded, 1 out. Passed ball and apparently, runner missed home. After 5 second delay and his coaches yelling, started to chase the runner and went into the dugout and applied the tag. Upon entering the dugout, Ump awards the other two runners whom also moved up home ending the game. Vistors were up by one and the bottom of the last inning.

Ump agreed that the runner missed the base, but once he entered the dugout, the runners were awarded home game over as the out would not prevent the runs from scoring... The win was officially be 2 runs because after the dead ball award was done, and the explanation, the visitors never pushed for the reversal.

One of the fun things about dealing with LL. Watching the coaches kill themselves.
bigbird69 is offline   Reply With Quote