Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
Lancerdad34
Rookie
 
Lancerdad34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Detroit
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 26
Lancerdad34 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Lancerdad34
Exclamation Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

This is LL Majors 12 year olds. I got this email from our LL president.

I was at a Majors game with (name removed) and listened to one of his coaches ordering the batters to crowd the plate to the point of their toes touching it.
The purpose was to try and either get whacked by a pitch or force the pitcher to throw outside forcing a walk. He lost to 10 - 0, had kids biting the dust to get out of the way and never gave them a chance to get a hit from that position in the box.

I know rule 6.03 and 6.06 a covers this. Can I instruct our umpires to warn then eject the coach for putting his players in harms way? This guy has always been a royal pain and I want to make sure we do this the right way.

Thanks,
Brian
UIC L'anse Cruese LL
Harrison Twp Mi
Lancerdad34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Richard_Siegel
Moderator
Moderator
All-Star Crew Chief
 
Richard_Siegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,748
Rep Power: 10
Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
This is LL Majors 12 year olds. I got this email from our LL president.

I was at a Majors game with (name removed) and listened to one of his coaches ordering the batters to crowd the plate to the point of their toes touching it.
The purpose was to try and either get whacked by a pitch or force the pitcher to throw outside forcing a walk. He lost to 10 - 0, had kids biting the dust to get out of the way and never gave them a chance to get a hit from that position in the box.

I know rule 6.03 and 6.06 a covers this. Can I instruct our umpires to warn then eject the coach for putting his players in harms way? This guy has always been a royal pain and I want to make sure we do this the right way.

Thanks,
Brian
UIC L'anse Cruese LL
Harrison Twp Mi
If the kids are taking a position, as you write, to "crowd the plate to the point of their toes touching it," then the umpires are not doing their job.

The batter is not allowed to take a position in the box where his feet extend beyond the lines of the batter's box. If the batter takes a position in the box where his feet extend beyond the lines of the box, the umpire should stop the pitcher from pitching and order the batter to adjust his feet to comply with the rules. If the batter's toes are touching HP he is illegal. The umpire should order the batter to reset his feet to be within the lines of the box. You need to remind the umpire-in-chief of your league to instruct his umpires to enforce this rule. See rule 6.03. If the umpires do their job, then the coach ordering his batters to crowd the plate is taking out of the problem.

Another point to note: if the batter is crowding the plate to the point his toes are touching HP, if he is hit by the pitch it is likely the pitch could have been in the strike zone. A pitch that is a strike that touches the batter is a dead ball and the batter does NOT get awarded first base. The umpires who are working the games for this team must be reminded to look for this. If the coach's strategy is to put his kids so close to HP to get hit, if they are hit and they are not awarded first base because the pitch is called a strike then he might figure out that his strategy is not working.

Once the pitcher throws a pitch the batter may adjust his feet to try and hit the ball. If during the time the ball is on the way to the plate the batter's feet move partially beyond the lines of the box when he hits the ball it is legal. However, it is illegal if either of the batter's feet are on the ground and completely outside the lines of the box when he hits the ball. The penalty is the ball is dead and the batter is called out.

It is important to note that if the batter takes an illegal a position where his feet extend beyond the lines of the box, and the umpire does NOT stop the pitcher from pitching and order the batter to adjust his feet to comply with the rules, then the batter should NOT be called out for the violation. The umpire can not play "got-cha" if he fails to do his job and correct the batter. The umpire can not penalize a player for a violation that he could have corrected. It is no different than if the batter comes up to bat without his batting helmet on, or the catcher comes out to play without his catcher's mask on. The umpire must correct the batter.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief
 
dash_riprock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,267
Rep Power: 232
dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
The umpire must correct the batter.
And if the batter refuses, just start ringing up strikes.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Richard_Siegel
Moderator
Moderator
All-Star Crew Chief
 
Richard_Siegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,748
Rep Power: 10
Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
And if the batter refuses, just start ringing up strikes.
That is true. I have noticed that when a batter sets up very far from the plate, bails as the pitch arrives, or crowds the plate it distorts the batter's perception of the strike zone and also for the coaches observing from the sides. It allows the umpire widen the strike zone substantially (if necessary) easily adding 6 inches to the inside and/or outside, and a little more going north and south too. If the catcher receives the ball in a credible way (so it looks like a strike) ring it up baby!
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Lancerdad34
Rookie
 
Lancerdad34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Detroit
Posts: 62
Rep Power: 26
Lancerdad34 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to Lancerdad34
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Richard,

I am the Umpire-In-Chief and have advised our umpires how to handle this based on your advice. Thanks to you and all on this forum for all the great advice that helps all of us do a better job!

Brian UIC LCLL
Harrsion Twp MI
Lancerdad34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief
 
dash_riprock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,267
Rep Power: 232
dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
That is true. I have noticed that when a batter sets up very far from the plate, bails as the pitch arrives, or crowds the plate it distorts the batter's perception of the strike zone and also for the coaches observing from the sides. It allows the umpire widen the strike zone substantially (if necessary) easily adding 6 inches to the inside and/or outside, and a little more going north and south too. If the catcher receives the ball in a credible way (so it looks like a strike) ring it up baby!
What I meant was, if the batter refuses to take his (legal) position in the box, ring up a strike without a pitch. If he still refuses to comply, ring up another, then another. What a simple game!
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Richard_Siegel
Moderator
Moderator
All-Star Crew Chief
 
Richard_Siegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,748
Rep Power: 10
Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
What I meant was, if the batter refuses to take his (legal) position in the box, ring up a strike without a pitch. If he still refuses to comply, ring up another, then another. What a simple game!
Well if that is your approach, it might be contrary to the rules, 6.02c says "If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter's box during his time at bat, the umpire shall order the pitcher to pitch, and shall call "Strike" on each such pitch." You have to make the pitcher throw the ball.

However, you could also go with 9.01b "Each umpire has authority to order a player, coach, manager ... to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of these rules, and to enforce the prescribed penalties." Basically the penalty for refusing to follow your order to get into the box is that you can dump him.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief
 
dash_riprock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,267
Rep Power: 232
dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
Well if that is your approach, it might be contrary to the rules, 6.02c says "If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter's box during his time at bat, the umpire shall order the pitcher to pitch, and shall call "Strike" on each such pitch." You have to make the pitcher throw the ball.

However, you could also go with 9.01b "Each umpire has authority to order a player, coach, manager ... to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of these rules, and to enforce the prescribed penalties." Basically the penalty for refusing to follow your order to get into the box is that you can dump him.
6.02(c): "If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out."

My source is:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...the_batter.pdf
Could that be dated?
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief
 
Rich_Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Owego NY LL
Posts: 2,876
Rep Power: 258
Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
6.02(c): "If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out."

My source is:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...the_batter.pdf
Could that be dated?
Nope - it'e the new version. No pitch need be thrown.

FYI LL made the same change.
__________________
REI
Rich_Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #10
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief
 
BrianC14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,381
Rep Power: 108
BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Kind of makes you wonder where the parents are while this is going on.

Their kids are being *ahem* "taught" bad / illegal practices by a certifiable moron.
If my child were on this team, we'd find a new team, or a new league, or we'd find another sport that lil' Johnny would enjoy.

Unbelievable.
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
Richard_Siegel
Moderator
Moderator
All-Star Crew Chief
 
Richard_Siegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,748
Rep Power: 10
Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
6.02(c): "If the batter refuses to take his position in the batter’s box during his time at bat, the umpire shall call a strike on the batter. The ball is dead, and no runners may advance. After the penalty, the batter may take his proper position and the regular ball and strike count shall continue. If the batter does not take his proper position before three strikes have been called, the batter shall be declared out."

My source is:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y20...the_batter.pdf
Could that be dated?
I have an old file I guess!
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Dragon29
All-Star
 
Dragon29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 487
Rep Power: 34
Dragon29 is movin' on upDragon29 is movin' on up
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

There's an aspect of this that hasn't been addressed yet.

If a manager or coach instructs his players to crowd in the manner described in the OP, and if you as PU instruct the batter to get back in the box legally, and this continues throughout the at-bat, or at least once per at-bat for the next few hitters, it's time to go speak with the manager and order him to tell his players to not do that. If it happens one more time after that, eject the manager.

In LL Majors (11-12) I'd be hard-pressed to eject a kid for following his manager's directions - makes more sense to me to dump the rat.
__________________
Stuart L. Berg
CCSUA

Last edited by Dragon29; 05-08-2009 at 10:09 PM. Reason: correct mis-spelling
Dragon29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 10:16 PM   #13
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief
 
BrianC14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,381
Rep Power: 108
BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all
Default Re: Batter ordered to crowd plate by coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon29 View Post
There's an aspect of this that hasn't been addressed yet.

If a manager or coach instructs his players to crowd in the manner described in the OP, and if you as PU instruct the batter to get back in the box legally, and this continues throughout the at-bat, or at least once per at-bat for the next few hitters, it's time to go speak with the manager and order him to tell his players to not do that. If it happens one more time after that, eject the manager.

In LL Majors (11-12) I'd be hard-pressed to eject a kid for following his manager's directions - makes more sense to me to dump the rat.

I agree. You have to fix the problem here, and the problem isn't with the kids.
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.