Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Newbies (NO flaming allowed!)

Unread 05-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
adamouski
No Avatar

adamouski is just getting started
Smile Getting started

I've been interested in getting into umping and I just need to know who I can contact or where I need to go to get started. All help is appreciated thanks!

Adam
(Garland TX)
adamouski is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
torquer
Veteran
No Avatar

torquer has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Re: Getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamouski View Post
I've been interested in getting into umping and I just need to know who I can contact or where I need to go to get started. All help is appreciated thanks!

Adam
(Garland TX)
If you don't know anyone, try showing up at the local LL field. Its pretty late for HS, but you should contact your state association. If you can't find them in the phone book, go to a game and ask an ump.

Jess
torquer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #3
lustersilk
All-Star

lustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese's

Try "Googling" for local Umpire Associations in your area. They all have training mechanisms in place for rules and field mechanics. You can also contact any local Little Leagues and see if they need any help.

Have fun and - read the rule book. When your done reading the rule book, read it again. Then start discussing it with other officials. This web site is a great place to discuss the rules.
lustersilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Dano
Veteran Crew Chief

Dano is a beacon of light on a stormy nightDano is a beacon of light on a stormy nightDano is a beacon of light on a stormy nightDano is a beacon of light on a stormy nightDano is a beacon of light on a stormy nightDano is a beacon of light on a stormy night

Look in your town for Recreation Centers like the YMCA or such orgs.

They should at the very least be able to point you in the right direction.

And as others have stated, go to the ball field and talk to an umpire before, after, or in-between games.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #5
Welpe
Regular

Welpe is just getting started

I would try contacting the Dallas Chapter of TASO - Texas Association of Sports Officials.

http://www.dallasbaseball.org/

TASO is for Jr. High and HS sports but they might also have folks that assign for youth and summer leagues as well.

You are too late for HS ball this year but you might be able to get going in time for summer.

Good luck to you, it is a lot of fun out there!

~ Bill Veeck
Welpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
JHLeatherwood
Regular
No Avatar

JHLeatherwood is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustersilk View Post
Try "Googling" for local Umpire Associations in your area. They all have training mechanisms in place for rules and field mechanics. You can also contact any local Little Leagues and see if they need any help.

Have fun and - read the rule book. When your done reading the rule book, read it again. Then start discussing it with other officials. This web site is a great place to discuss the rules.
Not "all" associations have clinics and training available .... just the good ones.

You can also stop by a sporting goods store (preferably not a chain like Dick's or Scheels, but a smaller, independent store that's actively involved in the community). Owners of these stores often supply local leagues and know the leadership.

X2 on best bet is show up at the diamond and ask the umps.
JHLeatherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
lustersilk
All-Star

lustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese'slustersilk enjoys spam and reese's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHLeatherwood View Post
Not "all" associations have clinics and training available .... just the good ones.
All the ones I belong to do. Otherwise I would just consider it a scheduling/assinging service.
lustersilk is offline   Reply With Quote