Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 04-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #1
carolinablue
Regular

carolinablue enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default runner pushed off base

Had this happen yesterday. I am PU. R2, batter hits single into right center and attempts to stretch it into a double. Throw comes in to 2b and BU calls safe. I saw the safe call just as R2 was crossing the plate and looked to see the touch and when I looked up the BU was giving the out signal. I knew the runner must have come off but the OC was arguing that the F6 had pushed him off.

The call never got changed but somebody told me after the game that he indeed was pushed off. I don't know for sure but was wondering, when a fielder does push a runner off the base, what is the proper call.

Is it a " Hey you can't do that " and put the runner back or is it obstruction or something else ?
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
robbyrudd455
Veteran

robbyrudd455 is just getting started
Default Re: runner pushed off base

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
Had this happen yesterday. I am PU. R2, batter hits single into right center and attempts to stretch it into a double. Throw comes in to 2b and BU calls safe. I saw the safe call just as R2 was crossing the plate and looked to see the touch and when I looked up the BU was giving the out signal. I knew the runner must have come off but the OC was arguing that the F6 had pushed him off.

The call never got changed but somebody told me after the game that he indeed was pushed off. I don't know for sure but was wondering, when a fielder does push a runner off the base, what is the proper call.

Is it a " Hey you can't do that " and put the runner back or is it obstruction or something else ?
Funny enough, there is NO RULE that says a fielder can't push a runner off base.

However, it is enforced that way. An out cannot be obtained if the runner was forced off a base, however you do see instances where a "firm tag" pushes a runner off base and the runner's momentum is what causes him to come off the base- which is a legal out.
robbyrudd455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:41 AM   #3
mr umpire
All-Star
No Avatar

mr umpire enjoys it when you click on his icon

I would say it depends on the situation.

If it is just the force of a tag that does it and NOT the runner's momentum combined with the tag, call him safe and explain why he is not out.

If it is a blatant attempt to knock him off the base, then it is a "Don't do that" with possible ejection(this would really depend on how blatant/malicious it is) on this or the next attempt. I don't know of any other rule which can allow for anything else such as giving another base. He wasn't obstructed or any other possible award.

But, that player better be prepared while at bat. He may be ducking to get the message of "Don't do that".
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
umpgent
Regular
No Avatar

umpgent is movin' on upumpgent is movin' on up

The rule book explicitly states,

"In the event that the fielder's name is Kent Hrbek and the runner's name is Ron Gant, said fielder may lift, push, pull, nudge, bump, bowl over, or manhandle said runner off the base and tag him to get the out call."

If you don't believe me, look it up ...

Last edited by umpgent; 04-20-2009 at 02:12 AM.
umpgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
carolinablue
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpgent View Post

"In the event that the fielder's name is Kent Hrbek, said fielder may push, pull, nudge, bump, bowl over, or manhandle runner off the base and tag him to get the out call."

I'm sorry, I have never read the Minnesota version of the OBR.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:59 AM   #6
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: runner pushed off base

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpgent View Post

"In the event that the fielder's name is Kent Hrbek and the runner's name is Ron Gant, said fielder may lift, push, pull, nudge, bump, bowl over, or manhandle said runner off the base and tag him to get the out call."

I have never read that either. What version is that in?
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyblue26 View Post
I have never read that either. What version is that in?

1991 World Series version.
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: runner pushed off base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
1991 World Series version.
Now that is funny I fell out of my chair laughing and I was tagged out.
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
carolinablue
Regular

Great series by the way. One of the best I've seen. Was it really 1991. doesn't seem that long ago. Dang I'm getting old.