Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Situations

Unread 04-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
kappcity06
No Avatar

kappcity06 is just getting started
Default What should I have done?

It was my first game back, doing major league 9-12 year olds. Bottom of the sixth runner on third and scored tied. Pitch thrown between the catchers legs. He goes to retrieve it. Runner one third goes into home. The batter made no attempt to move out of the batters box. The catcher had to twist around the batter to try and tag the runner.

Since it was my first game I wasn't thinking very well and I had called the runner safe. A moment later I turned to my field umpire and I signaled it was interference and then called the runner stealing home out.

The coach flipped out first that I had changed my call then second that the batter couldn't move anywhere because it would have still obstructed the catcher which was false.

After a good five minutes I got the coaches settled down. I didn't throw anyone one even though I should have because I hate to do that.

Did I handle the situation correctly.
kappcity06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #2
willv28
Regular
No Avatar

willv28 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to willv28
Default Re: What should I have done?

If it was that long and he was jawing at you at a high level, I would've tossed him, especially if he remained on the field. Otherwise, it was ok to change the call as long as it was quick and it didn't effect any other play going on. Otherwise, a lengthy time between the original call and the new call doesn't look good to the coach especially if he realizes the other umpire influenced you to change it. Other than that it's just one of those things, just pause, read and then react to the call and you'll get it down.
willv28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
dileonardoja
Veteran

dileonardoja is just getting started

Could use a little more information like rt. or lt. handed batter and to which side (1B or 3B) the ball rolled. One way I can see this happening is with a left handed batter and the ball rolls up the 1B side. Catcher is now blocked out from home. Clearly this is a judgment call but when I consider 12U baseball, the pitcher throws the ball in the dirt, the catcher can't block it and then I am going to penalize the Offense? I'd better see some real good interference before I call it.
dileonardoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
pujols54
Rookie
No Avatar

pujols54 is just getting started

As long as the batter does not move to interfere with the catcher, can he not continue to stand in the batters box, even if he is in the way? I do not have interference.
pujols54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
chuktownblue
Regular
No Avatar

chuktownblue is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by pujols54 View Post
As long as the batter does not move to interfere with the catcher, can he not continue to stand in the batters box, even if he is in the way? I do not have interference.
The batter does not have an unlimited right to stand in the batters box. If the play is immediate (throw to third; runner stealing home), he cannot be expected to get out of the way. If the batter has time to do so, he has an obligation to remove himself from the play.

The OP only says the ball went between the catcher's legs, and he retrieved it. If the ball was just behind the catcher, and all he had to do was reach around and grab it, it's really a judgement call on whether the batter had an opportunity to move. If the ball went to the backstop, or the catcher had to otherwise chase it down, the batter had plenty of opportunity to move, and this is interference all day.
chuktownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
pujols54
Rookie
No Avatar

pujols54 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuktownblue View Post
The batter does not have an unlimited right to stand in the batters box. If the play is immediate (throw to third; runner stealing home), he cannot be expected to get out of the way. If the batter has time to do so, he has an obligation to remove himself from the play.

The OP only says the ball went between the catcher's legs, and he retrieved it. If the ball was just behind the catcher, and all he had to do was reach around and grab it, it's really a judgement call on whether the batter had an opportunity to move. If the ball went to the backstop, or the catcher had to otherwise chase it down, the batter had plenty of opportunity to move, and this is interference all day.
I agree that the batter has to make a reasonable effort to get out of the way if there is a throw home (FED 7-3-5d.). In this case there is no throw home, but a pitch that got away.
pujols54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #7
umpgent
Regular
No Avatar

umpgent is movin' on upumpgent is movin' on up

You're reaching, Pujols. Chuck has it correct. And please don't cite the wrong rule book. FED is irrelevant here ... even though it is the same rule in this instance. The only book you should quote in a generic sense is OBR.

There is no way in the world when a pitch goes to the backstop that the batter can justify staying in the box without a potential INT call. 100 times out of 100 he can completely avoid the ensuing play.

Only three classic exceptions.
- Quick throw to 3rd by catcher
- Straight steal of home
- Botched squeeze bunt attempt

Kapp, you got the call right in the end, which is most important, but you did create the storm you sailed into. If I had done this, I would have given the coach a lot of leash before I tossed him. However, 5 minutes of arguing is an eternity in a baseball game. That was far more than he deserved.

I'll never forget when I made the dreaded Out/Safe call with my partner years ago (I wish it were 40 years ago) when I was slow in getting down to 3B and never called off my partner. The coach heard me call a runner safe, saw my partner call him out, and started to go nuts. I went over and explained my mistake and that we feel we got the call right, but my bad mechanics and lack of hustle led to the wrong initial call. When I laid it all on the table for him, he really had very little to argue about. It was probably less than a minute and we continued.

Last edited by umpgent; 04-20-2009 at 06:04 AM.
umpgent is offline   Reply With Quote