Go Back   Forums > The Gear... > Umpire Equipment

Unread 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
MCLEOD36
All-Star

MCLEOD36 enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default Insurance

Guys,
FYI, the insurance from ABUA/ESO and/ or NASO is for a calendar year. If you have other expiration dates for your memberships, be reminded that the Insurance policies for both are calendar years. I just renewed both of mine in both spots......
Unread 01-10-2009, 05:10 AM   #2
BT_Blue
Crew Chief

BT_Blue enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default Re: Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCLEOD36 View Post
Guys,
FYI, the insurance from ABUA/ESO and/ or NASO is for a calendar year. If you have other expiration dates for your memberships, be reminded that the Insurance policies for both are calendar years. I just renewed both of mine in both spots......
ABUA I know for sure is January 1 thru December 31. NASO though I thought was from what ever date you signed up on till a year later. Did they change that to the same thing that ABUA does?
BT_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #3
robbyrudd455
Veteran

robbyrudd455 is just getting started

I know as long as you pay your dues, there's no start/end date.

But if you decide to terminate your membership (NASO), it's 1 full year after you joined. Mine expires in April, but I'm always renewing in December...
robbyrudd455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
BT_Blue
Crew Chief

thats what I thought. I was a little surprised when I went from NASO to ABUA and found out the membership went from Jan 1 to Dec 31.

At first I was a little annoyed since I had signed up for ABUA that year about half way thru the year when my old NASO membership ran out. However I do like the coverage that you get with ABUA better than NASO and the coming benefits that I think there are going to be far outweigh anything from anyone else. (Mind you this is all speculation on my part.) The only thing I miss is getting the copies of Referee magazine in the mail. Im going to subscribe to just the magazine probably next month and combined with this forum I think will make a great learning tool for me.
Unread 01-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
Welpe
Regular

Welpe is just getting started

I carry NASO insurance and it expires on your sign-up date.

~ Bill Veeck
Welpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
BT_Blue
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I carry NASO insurance and it expires on your sign-up date.
Yeh, thats what I thought.
Unread 01-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
DannyC

DannyC is just getting started

BT,
Please realize there are 2 versions of Referee magazine. The "gray" pages in the middle is for their "members" edition. Non members get the same magazine, but without those pages. I, too, belong to both NASO and ABUA, and plan on keeping both for the time being!

Thanks,
DannyC
DannyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
jasonk
Super Moderator
Regular
No Avatar

jasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this communityjasonk is a pillar in this community

Insurance policies are written by underwriters from 1/1-12/31. Regardless, we have a group insurance policy, so it would be impossible to write individual policies for members which would expire on their membership expiration date. As long as you pay your membership dues and renew before the end of the year, you are covered!
jasonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #9
BT_Blue
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyC View Post
BT,
Please realize there are 2 versions of Referee magazine. The "gray" pages in the middle is for their "members" edition. Non members get the same magazine, but without those pages. I, too, belong to both NASO and ABUA, and plan on keeping both for the time being!

Thanks,
DannyC
Yeh, I remember the inserts. I cant bring myself to spend the extra $75-100 just to get the insert in the referee magazine. Not unless there is something that makes NASO better or supplemental to ABUA. I stopped going with NASO when they came out with the assignor insurance that was automaticly tagged onto the normal insurance. It went from something like $50 or $60 to almost $100 and I couldnt get it changed since I dont do any assigning.

Have they changed that practice?

Im thinking of next month signing up for a subscription for Referee. How much is the subscription?