Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > General

Unread 09-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #1
umpirelance

umpirelance is just getting started
Default End of the year notes

Good afternoon fellow umpires. This is Lance Cokalinski, your umpire's umpire. Well, it is hard to believe that another season is over. As usual I worked over 400 games and had my share of "the big game." I'd like to share some information that I gathered throughout my season in hopes that it may help improve your umpiring.

1. I am real. Appearently there are a few of you out there who feel I do not exist. In fact, I do.

2. Positioning in 2 man. When I work the bases in 2 man (with R1) I like to position myself in what I call A-/B+. I square my schoulders to the third base dugout. This position in located in front of the second baseman, on the grass. This allows me to step, jump, step toward first base for the quick tag on the pickoff.

3. When working in C position and a R3 who is tagging, I like to yell "CATCH!" to alert my partner so he can tell if R3 left early.

4. Plate work. I like to take charge from the beginning and let me know that I am there to work and I mean business. I try (99%) of the time to call the first pitch a strike. This will set the tone of the game.

5. Plate meeting. Do not be afraid to inform the coaches about your "big game" the other night. In fact, I sometimes lie. For example, I may say something like this... "Hello coaches. Who did you guys play last night? I had the big game over at West high. I saw several scouts there. My partner was nervous so I worked the plate. That Jones kid must have been throwing 95mph. I wasn't giving him the corners either." This way you automatically impress the coaches.

6. Pre game. I like to call my partner at work the day before to see what time he is getting to the game. I like to get there 30 minutes before him to introduce myself to the coaches.

7. Fans. I like to keep the game moving but also have some fun. I try to talk to most fans between innings if they are behind the back stop. I ask if anyone has any questions that they would like answered. This way the fans leave me alone and they may have a conversation like this... "Hey Bob, my kid's team won last night. We had a really good umpire. I think his name was Lance." Bob, "Oh yes, Lance Cokalinski, one of the best."

8. Getting the big game. I am not sure where you all live but where I am from we have tons of umpires. It is hard for AD's and assignors to remember everyone. Therefore, I reccomend calling the AD or assignor at their work and their home. Send them out a resume every other week until you get the game YOU want!

Well, those are some inside pointers that I have developed over the years. I hope this helps. Good luck and see you next February or at the Cokalnski Combine.

Lance Cokalinski, #13
FACCAB Umpire of the year
1978,79,80,82,83,83,84,85,87,89,91,91,92,93,94,96, 98,99, 00,01
umpirelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
JBowling
Veteran

JBowling is just getting started
Default Re: End of the year notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirelance

Lance Cokalinski, #13
FACCAB Umpire of the year
1978,79,80,82,83,83,84,85,87,89,91,91,92,93,94,96, 98,99, 00,01
Wow Lance, it's impressive that you've been umpire of the year that many times. It is even more impressive that you won it twice in the same year in '83 and '91.

I am a little curious, though, what happened in '81, '86 and '06? You didn't win in those years or is it that you simply forgot to put them on the list?
JBowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM   #3
nwarkblue
Cadet
No Avatar

nwarkblue is just getting started

Lance, must have had the award stolen from him those years. I mean how could a real umpire's umpire not get it
nwarkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #4
kylejt
Regular

kylejt is just getting started

A lot of words, and no laughs.

Leave the comedy to the professionals. You not funny.
kylejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 05:05 AM   #5
OzUmp
Veteran

OzUmp is movin' on upOzUmp is movin' on up

He used to be worth a good laugh at times. Nothing of note lately. Well is a bit dry I think.
OzUmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
Stan W.
Regular

Stan W. is just getting started
Default my .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzUmp
He used to be worth a good laugh at times. Nothing of note lately. Well is a bit dry I think.

Got to find your humor where you can OZ.....the humor in it for me is that Lance is made up from real people....

I know of at least 3 guys who do the some of the things Lance says......

One who lobbies every coach with stories of how good he is and how many big games he has done.....ends the stories with "tell your AD you want me...."

One who spends all his time chatting up the fans in between innings....

One who calls time and announces " infield fly situation is in effect!!"....

The other joy of lance for me is when he snags newer posters into beliveing he is 100 on the level....
Stan W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #7
JBowling
Veteran

JBowling is just getting started

I have to agree with Stan W. It is always the best when a newbie takes the bait from Lance.
JBowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
carolinablue
Regular

carolinablue enjoys it when you click on his icon

I don't know. I thought the A-/B+ was a good one. I may try it. Thanks for the tip Lance.
carolinablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
shickenbottom
Veteran

shickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the rough

Lance, you forgot to include the part about impressing the ladies in the stands every chance you get. This way you can arrange for you post game dates.
shickenbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2008, 10:16 AM   #10
mikes610
Rookie

mikes610 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to mikes610 Send a message via Yahoo to mikes610 Send a message via Skype™ to mikes610
Default Lance impressing the ladies

"Lance, you forgot to include the part about impressing the ladies in the stands every chance you get. This way you can arrange for you post game dates."

Oh great Shickenbottom...
Now you'll get Lance started about how he wears sleeveless shirts on the field to show off his "guns" to the GLMs in the stands!!! Of course we know that Lance prefers the red shirts since it matches his eyes.
mikes610 is offline   Reply With Quote