Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Mechanics

Unread 09-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
stallion

stallion is just getting started
Default Home Plate Mechanics

I submitted this question a few days ago...but apparently it never made it?

anyway...here it is again....I umpire HS BB & SB...and I do "summer" (pro) rules baseball.

here is the situation: runner sliding home--misses touch----catcher misses tag...according to federation softball book...the HP umpire makes NO call..allows the players to finish the play....then if neither player attempts to "correct" the play..the umpire declares the runner SAFE...then if a PROPER APPEAL is made...he would call the runner OUT.
the book explains (2) reasons for this mechanic...you do not want to TIP either team that the play is not OVER...and a runner is ASSUMED SAFE UNTIL PUT OUT..if the PROPER APPEAL is not made the runner is SAFE...

My question I thought this was a FEDERATION & PRO BASEBALL MECHANIC ALSO...????
AM I NOT CORRECT ????

Thanks
Unread 09-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #2
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Home Plate Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion
AM I NOT CORRECT?:
Yes.

I wouldn't signal anything if Rx miised the plate, F2 missed the tag, and neither team did anything.
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
rufusinri

rufusinri is just getting started

this happened to me this weekend. i did not signal, and the catcher looked at me for a second, realized my "no call" and applied the tag to the runner. at least he was paying attention. i say no call until you have to make it
rufusinri is offline   Reply With Quote