Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Rules

Unread 08-16-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all
Default The Rules of Professional Baseball

I've just received a copy of

The Rules of Professional Baseball:
A Comprehensive Reorganization and Interpretation

by Chris Jaksa and Rick Roder

This book is a phenomenal piece of work! NFHS and NCAA references/differences as well.

Just skimming through the first few pages tells me that this book should be in every baseball umpires' library.

BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
findit99
Rookie

findit99 is just getting started

Brian - I just started umpiring in Feb/March this year and its the first thing I bought. It's the best $40 I ever spent. I coached my son for 10 years and I found it amazing how many things I thought I knew but had been wrong the whole time.
http://www.rulesofbaseball.com/ebooks/rde.html

The great thing about baseball - even when you know the rules there's still so much to talk about and so much room for different approaches and interpretations.

That book and this website - two great resources.
findit99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2008, 08:32 PM   #3
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by findit99
Brian - I just started umpiring in Feb/March this year and its the first thing I bought. It's the best $40 I ever spent. I coached my son for 10 years and I found it amazing how many things I thought I knew but had been wrong the whole time.

The great thing about baseball - even when you know the rules there's still so much to talk about and so much room for different approaches and interpretations.

Oh - thanks for providing the link, which I'd forgotten to include.

They also have a 10 question quiz to take, which is pretty good

http://www.rulesofbaseball.com/quiz.html

And ditto on the comment about this forum - it's where I learned about the J/R manual.
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 03:01 PM   #4
lawump
Regular

lawump is just getting started

There is a reason why we never opened the Sporting News Rule Book at Joe's umpire school in 1997: because the J/R manual was better.
lawump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
Brotherhood_of_Blue
Veteran

Brotherhood_of_Blue enjoys it when you click on his iconBrotherhood_of_Blue enjoys it when you click on his icon

If there is a MUST HAVE in the Library Section the J/R is it. In the last two weeks I just got my newest copy (200 of The BRD which cross references the J/R extensivley, and in itself is a great tool. Put them together with the books and it's amazing what you not only can find but some of the little nuances shared by the Veterans. It's a great resource for the first year guy, on up to the most experienced, especially for those that call for many different levels and leagues.
Unread 08-18-2008, 12:00 AM   #6
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of

There are two other "must haves" for the library of those seriously interested in understanding the nuances of the rules. They're not easy to get a hold of, but well worth the pursuit to find.

Jim Evans Annotated

MLBUM

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 11:26 AM   #7
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my very first J/R manual back in 2004 when I came across his site and then got the updates in 2006 & 2008. I was most thrilled when I received his manual It is one of the best that you can get It made me a better student of the game and Umpire with a better understanding of how the rules are applied correctly.

I have the Jim Evans Annotated Rules of Baseball and the 2007 MLBUM which are not easy to come buy but if you can get them do right away because they go fast.

Also the Rules and Mechanics Manual by (Wendelstedt). A couple more great manuals to have are the PBUC and the Two-Man Umpire System Manual.

Yes these are a MUST FOR the Umpire library Mr Roder has put into words that I have found to be easy to understand. We all know that the rule book of baseball is written like the IRS tax laws that no one really understands. Thanks and after you read his book and then go to the rule book you will see and appericate his work more.

Heyblue#26
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
Brotherhood_of_Blue
Veteran

Brotherhood_of_Blue enjoys it when you click on his iconBrotherhood_of_Blue enjoys it when you click on his icon

Tim,
Couldn't agree more. The JEA is aewsome, and being the History Fanatic I am it provides the historical reference material in a way like no other. I've never had the opportunity to see the MLBUM but would love to, any ideas where I could purloin one?
Unread 08-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
mazzamouth
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianC14
Quote:
Originally Posted by findit99

Oh - thanks for providing the link, which I'd forgotten to include.

They also have a 10 question quiz to take, which is pretty good

http://www.rulesofbaseball.com/quiz.html

And ditto on the comment about this forum - it's where I learned about the J/R manual.

Brian.. the quiz is good.....

I like this question.. as I think you could rule both ways on it..

"R3, R1, two outs. Ground ball up the middle, just past the pitcher's right side. The shortstop gloves the ball in front of second base and attempts to tag the sliding R1 instead of tagging the base. The tag is missed, but R1 slides past the base without touching it. As R1 scrambles back to the base, the shortstop tags him before he is able to return. R3 scored before the tag was applied for the third out (a 'time play'). The defense appeals that R1 missed second base, hoping to get a force out-an 'advantageous fourth out' - to negate the run."

A...The appeal is upheld; R1 is out and the run cannot score since the third out is now a force out.

B....The appeal is not allowed, the run scores.

C....The umpire should simply call R1 out for being out of the baseline, thus avoiding this whole mess.

This i thought was a good one...LOL
Unread 08-18-2008, 11:01 PM   #10
umpduck11
Veteran

umpduck11 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brotherhood_of_Blue
Tim,
Couldn't agree more. The JEA is aewsome, and being the History Fanatic I am it provides the historical reference material in a way like no other. I've never had the opportunity to see the MLBUM but would love to, any ideas where I could purloin one?
Keep an eye on Amazon.com. That's where I got mine.
umpduck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
Brotherhood_of_Blue
Veteran

Thanks Duck.
Forum hopping for umpire related material is about as advanced as I get, but I'm sure I've got a 14 year old around here somewhere that should be able to find it!
Unread 08-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #12
HittingZone
Banned
Cadet
No Avatar

HittingZone is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
There are two other "must haves" for the library of those seriously interested in understanding the nuances of the rules. They're not easy to get a hold of, but well worth the pursuit to find.
Jim Evans Annotated
MLBUM
Tim.
Actually, both are very easy to get ahold of ... pm me and include your email address.
HittingZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2008, 04:12 PM   #13
Forest_Ump
Veteran

Forest_Ump has much to be proud ofForest_Ump has much to be proud ofForest_Ump has much to be proud ofForest_Ump has much to be proud ofForest_Ump has much to be proud ofForest_Ump has much to be proud of

I bought my J/R a couple of years ago. It had the glued binding. Pages began to come loose from the binding, especially in the pitching section. I took it to Kinko's and had a spiral binding put on. Best thing you can do for this fine book. It makes flipping thru the sections very easy.

my $.02
Forest_Ump is offline   Reply With Quote