Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > General

Unread 08-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #1
umpirelance

umpirelance is just getting started
Default Good young umpires

Hello. This is Lance Cokalinski. I had a chance to see some fine umpiring last night. I watch an Atlantic League game. I was impressed at how these youngsters move all over the field. I was yelling at the first base ump all night, trying to get his attention so I could find out where their dressing room was. I brought my dry erase board in hopes of sharing my ideas with these young bucks. I am a little disappointed that the ump ignored me. Anyway, I guarantee that one of these umps will be in the big leagues soon.

If anyway has any questions, let me know.

Lance Cokalinski
Game umpired to date: 298
umpirelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 04:38 AM   #2
mazzamouth
No Avatar

Default Re: Good young umpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpirelance
Hello. This is Lance Cokalinski. I had a chance to see some fine umpiring last night. I watch an Atlantic League game. I was impressed at how these youngsters move all over the field. I was yelling at the first base ump all night, trying to get his attention so I could find out where their dressing room was. I brought my dry erase board in hopes of sharing my ideas with these young bucks. I am a little disappointed that the ump ignored me. Anyway, I guarantee that one of these umps will be in the big leagues soon.

If anyway has any questions, let me know.

Lance Cokalinski
Game umpired to date: 298
You really didn't expect these Umpires to really talk to you as a fan right?... Sounds like they were trained well.
Unread 08-10-2008, 04:44 AM   #3
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good young umpires

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzamouth
Sounds like they were trained well.
Not really. There are sooo many things missing from the repertoire of an MiLB umpire that has yet to attend a Cokalinski combine, that they are certainly not considered even moderately trained.................

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Welpe
Regular

Welpe is just getting started

Lance, I think you should've approached them between innings with dry erase board in hand. Get on the field if necessary. They will have to pay attention to you then.

~ Bill Veeck
Welpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #5
lawump
Regular

lawump is just getting started

Lance,

That's what you get with "independent league" umpires. Friggin' clueless.
lawump is offline   Reply With Quote