Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 06-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Self-ejection

Musial game (no age limit, but you must have WAY too much testosterone):

After a weak AB (a flare to F4), batter throws the bat against the fence. Bat rebounds and knocks out 2 of his front teeth (actually broke them off). I let him slide on the ejection since he had to leave anyway. Was I too lenient? No one else was at risk of being hit by the thrown bat.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
archipelligo
Veteran

archipelligo is just getting started

You could have mentioned to him that had he used a titanium bat, it might have killed him instead of just ruining his day, that would have made him feel better. ( I assume they use wood, the Musial leagues around here used to)
archipelligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #3
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

It was metal bat (we have 4 divisions - 2 wood, 2 metal).

This kid (probably mid-30s) is generally a good guy. Usually catches both ends of a DH and I've never had a problem with him.
Unread 06-16-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
CoachJM
Crew Chief

CoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy nightCoachJM is a beacon of light on a stormy night

dash,

This is what is known as "instant karma". No need to eject.

JM
CoachJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
It was metal bat (we have 4 divisions - 2 wood, 2 metal).

This kid (probably mid-30s) is generally a good guy. Usually catches both ends of a DH and I've never had a problem with him.
I'm trying to picture how old you might be... Referring to someone as a 'kid', when the guy is in his mid 30s made me laugh - - I hope to reach an age where I'd feel OK calling a 35 year old a "kid". (And I'm now 50....)

In my association, we call this "Men's Little League". It sounds to me as though this "kid" needs to get over the fact that he's not a hot prospect anymore.
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

We have a name for it too - Stan Miserable, and you're right - many of them need to realize that there are no scouts in the stands (especially D2 metal bat).

The D1 wood can be very good baseball - college players and some former pros. A lot of umps avoid it like the plague. I enjoy it. The fee is $75/game (7 innings). If you give them a good game and act like you want to be there, they will leave you alone. If you are lazy or arrogant, you can be in for a long night, and you probably deserve it.
Unread 06-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #7
Welpe
Regular

Welpe is just getting started

Considering he almost made himself a Darwin Award Candidate, I'd say that is punishment enough. Here I thought "All I want for Christmas" just applied to kids.

~ Bill Veeck
Welpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2008, 05:40 AM   #8
HoosierBlue
Banned
Regular
No Avatar

HoosierBlue is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachJM

dash,
This is what is known as "instant karma". No need to eject.
JM
This is also known as a GODSMACK.

Similar to when you cuss at someone for not using their turn signal just as you run into a mailbox.
HoosierBlue is offline   Reply With Quote