Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Small Diamond

Unread 06-11-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
folsomblue

folsomblue is just getting started
Default Small Field Mechanics

The league I’m currently with hosts a series of 60’ tourneys this time of year (my first year with them) under Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken rules.
They normally use teenagers for the small diamond work but for tourneys they call in us slow old guys. Problem is I haven’t worked a 60’ game in 2+ years. Any advice from you veterans on mechanics other than ‘outfield you’re in; infield your out’?
Thanks in advance…
folsomblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 03:54 AM   #2
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small Field Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomblue
The league I’m currently with hosts a series of 60’ tourneys this time of year (my first year with them) under Babe Ruth/Cal Ripken rules.
They normally use teenagers for the small diamond work but for tourneys they call in us slow old guys. Problem is I haven’t worked a 60’ game in 2+ years. Any advice from you veterans on mechanics other than ‘outfield you’re in; infield your out’?
Thanks in advance…
Usually the moms are better looking at this level.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:55 AM   #3
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Small Field Mechanics

Quote:
Originally Posted by folsomblue
Thanks in advance…
Here's a link to a power point presentation that should help.

Small Diamond Mechanics

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
folsomblue

folsomblue is just getting started

Richard, out of all the great rules interpretations, advice and counsel on this forum, that may be the best. I'll report back next week
folsomblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
1peanut

1peanut is just getting started

i think pictures are a must :P
1peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
umpjmb
Regular

umpjmb is just getting started

Quote:
Richard, I hate to take exception to your comment (because we all know it's true)... but... the OP was asking for advice.

Therefore, taking your statement into effect, the ADVICE part would be to wear reflective sunglasses... so as to maximize the enjoyment of statement without being obvious...
umpjmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2008, 05:30 AM   #7
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjmb
Quote:
Richard, I hate to take exception to your comment (because we all know it's true)... but... the OP was asking for advice.

Therefore, taking your statement into effect, the ADVICE part would be to wear reflective sunglasses... so as to maximize the enjoyment of statement without being obvious...
And work out a signal in your pre-game with your partner to let him know you've found one worthy of a lengthy gaze........

Tim.
Unread 07-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
blue32
Rookie

blue32 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjmb
Quote:

And work out a signal in your pre-game with your partner to let him know you've found one worthy of a lengthy gaze........

Tim.
The system that was taught to me was:

PU moves hand:
Behind the head for blonde
Right side of head for brunette
Left side for redhead

Then extend arm to the side at shoulder length or above-left or right depending on what side she is on.
Then show the number of fingers to indicate how many rows up she is sitting.
blue32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2008, 06:17 AM   #9
nwarkblue
Cadet
No Avatar

nwarkblue is just getting started

Blue 32, dang to many signs to remember

so JB that's why you were those shades, mmmm now i know.
nwarkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 04:03 AM   #10
ahusker

ahusker is just getting started

Im doing a 10 year old tournament this weekend. and there are some good looking moms, sunglasses are a must.
ahusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 05:33 AM   #11
nwarkblue
Cadet
No Avatar

nwarkblue is just getting started

Husker,
Get some good ones. Seriously, the guy that broke me in as an umpire 12 years ago told me about the sunglasses after or first double header. Been wearing them on the bases during daylight games since then.
nwarkblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
rhoffer21
Rookie
No Avatar

rhoffer21 is just getting started

I just did a 10u tourney today and its really hard to find that sweet spot in position B and C. For B i moved out onto the outfield grass and called it like I would a mens softball game, but for C you still had to really be on your toes.
rhoffer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2008, 12:11 AM   #13
BigUmp56
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoffer21
I just did a 10u tourney today and its really hard to find that sweet spot in position B and C. For B i moved out onto the outfield grass and called it like I would a mens softball game, but for C you still had to really be on your toes.

On a 60' diamond the BU should always start on the outside.

Tim.