Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Situations

Unread 05-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
DaveCal

DaveCal is just getting started
Default Dead Ball Strike

Had a batter on Saturday square to bunt, pitch was inside, he moves the bat trying to bunt it, misses the ball and the pitch hits him square in the gut. I immediately called "dead ball", and the batter starts walking towards first. I had to say "batter, stay here" and then "strike one". Felt bad for the kid though, must have hurt.

Have many of you had to make this call? I didn't hear any argument from the managers, but I kind of expect most offensive team managers would be looking for a free pass to first.
DaveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 11:43 PM   #2
SocalBlue1
Veteran

SocalBlue1 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Dead Ball Strike

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCal
Had a batter on Saturday square to bunt, pitch was inside, he moves the bat trying to bunt it, misses the ball and the pitch hits him square in the gut. I immediately called "dead ball", and the batter starts walking towards first. I had to say "batter, stay here" and then "strike one". Felt bad for the kid though, must have hurt.

Have many of you had to make this call? I didn't hear any argument from the managers, but I kind of expect most offensive team managers would be looking for a free pass to first.
Dave,

Please get away from EVER calling "Dead ball" - use "Time" instead. when an umpire calls "time" the ball becomes dead.

Proper mechanic:

1. Raise bot hands and call time
2. Point at the batter (Same way as "yes he did" on a checked swing) - "That's a dead ball strike".
3. Tell batter to stay in box.
4. Wair for manager to come out.
SocalBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #3
rcaverly
Cadet

rcaverly is just getting started

Most, especially those with a law degree, argue that the batter wasn't trying to hit the pitch, he was just trying to protect himself.
Unread 05-20-2008, 04:02 AM   #4
SocalBlue1
Veteran

SocalBlue1 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaverly
Most, especially those with a law degree, argue that the batter wasn't trying to hit the pitch, he was just trying to protect himself.
Rat lawyers have no standing in my court ...
SocalBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
_bobby_
Rookie

_bobby_ is just getting started

had one yesterday,

batter moves into a bunt stance before the pitch is released in an attempt to draw th infield closer,

the pitch however was inside (inside the batters box), he tried (my opinion) to jump out of the way, the ball hit him on the hand.

i saw no passive action of him making an attempt to hit the ball, but to avoid it.

i gave him first..
_bobby_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Majordave
Veteran

Majordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to allMajordave is a name known to all
Default Exactly Bobby,

It is a judgment call.

If he tried to hit it and got hit instead it is a dead ball strike called as SoCal Blue described.

I had one yesterday with an inside pitch. Batter swung at it and hit it with his wrist/forearm. Took off running. "Time." "He went." "Strike." "Stay here batter." Coach came out to ask why. Explanation as discussed here. Other coach came out to ask if that was really true. "Yes". Neither coach knew the rule. Offensive coach claimed to be a former umpire. I guess we now know why he was "former" umpire.

Play on!
Majordave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
mazzamouth
No Avatar

Default Re: Exactly Bobby,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majordave
. Offensive coach claimed to be a former umpire. I guess we now know why he was "former" umpire.

Play on!
Gotta love the I was a umpire line....LOL
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #8
okump96
Rookie

okump96 enjoys it when you click on his iconokump96 enjoys it when you click on his icon

a few yrs ago i had a kid get all 3 strikes like this. strike 1 inside, he swings and misses gets hit in gut. strike 2 inside, swing and miss hit in leg. strike 3 inside, swing and miss hit in gut again. coach asked if i could feel sorry for the kid and let him have 1st. NOT!
okump96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #9
ExCop
Crew Chief

ExCop is movin' on upExCop is movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalBlue1
Proper mechanic:

2. Point at the batter (Same way as "yes he did" on a checked swing) - "That's a dead ball strike".
5. Eject manager (inevitable, 90%+ of the time).
6. Eject batter (see 5).
7. Eject all players leaving bench.
8. Eject offensive pitcher for beaning first batter he faces next half.
9. Eject catcher for calling you a "fuc*ing moron" after 8
10. Oughta be enough for a forfeit by now...

Seriously, Major Dave is right when he wrote "Neither coach knew the rule" above. Trying to explain that it is, in fact, possible to be hit by a pitch and NOT be awarded first is darn near impossible in many leagues.

- G. K. Chesterton
ExCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #10
BrianC14
All-Star Crew Chief

BrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to allBrianC14 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by okump96
a few yrs ago i had a kid get all 3 strikes like this. strike 1 inside, he swings and misses gets hit in gut. strike 2 inside, swing and miss hit in leg. strike 3 inside, swing and miss hit in gut again. coach asked if i could feel sorry for the kid and let him have 1st. NOT!

"Sure, Coach - he can have first base. Right after the final out of the game."
BrianC14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Dano
Veteran Crew Chief

Dano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant futureDano has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCop
Quote:
Proper mechanic:

6. Eject batter (see 5).

Seriously, Major Dave is right when he wrote "Neither coach knew the rule" above. Trying to explain that it is, in fact, possible to be hit by a pitch and NOT be awarded first is darn near impossible in many leagues.

That is why I like to use a favorite phrase of mine.. that does tend to render coaches unconscious like a stun gun:

Time
Dead Ball
Batter Swung at Pitch
BY RULE, batter stays STRIKE 2
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCop
Quote:
Proper mechanic:

6. Eject batter (see 5).

I disagree with items 1 through 4 and 5 through 10. This is a situation which is not that uncommon and usually understood.

I find I am seldom questioned what I have a batter touched by a pitch that attempted to hit. I would say that I have had to expalin it 1 out five times it happens.

When I see the batter touched by a pitch that attempted to hit. This is what I do....

1. Raise hands and call "time."
2. Observe the batter.

Usually the batter is hurt or shaken up by the HBP. He might be laying on the ground or he might just be shaking the pain from his hand. In either case, usually a coach comes out and checks on the batter's injury. I don't say anything and I don't interrupt the coach speaking with the batter. Once the coach is satisfied the batter is OK, he goes back to the dugout.

Most of the time I find the batter just picks up his bat and goes to the dugout if it was strike three, or he gets back into the batter's box on his own. I don't have to say a word.

Just in case the batter ot the coach do not know the rule during the time the coach is out talking to the batter I am usually standing about 8 feet up the 1B line ready to stop the batter from going to 1B if he thinks he is entitled to go there. It looks better to just speak to him as he starts up the line then to chase after him if he takes off for the base, or worse, call him back from the base if he gets all the way down there.

Occasionally the coach will ask me "Does he get to go to 1B?" to which I will reply, "No, he attempted to hit the ball." Then he usually accepts it. Yes there have been a few coaches upset with the news, but after a quick explanation of the rule I have not had trouble. You need to sound very sure of yourself but also be a little sympathetic. It works for me.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
ExCop
Crew Chief

ExCop is movin' on upExCop is movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
Most of the time I find the batter just picks up his bat and goes to the dugout if it was strike three, or he gets back into the batter's box on his own. I don't have to say a word.
Must be nice to work where players and coaches didn't learn their rules from watching MLB broadcasts....

That is sooo not my world....

- G. K. Chesterton
ExCop is offline   Reply With Quote