Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 06-23-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
newbumpire

newbumpire is just getting started
Default I've been baptized

Well, I knew it was coming and I finally did it.

After his player was in a rundown between 2nd and 3rd, the runner slides head first back to the 2nd base bag, but upon reaching the bag he jumps up and starts running towards the dugout. I call him out for abandoning the bases. Apparently he saw blood on his left hand and freaked out. The coach looks incredulous. He asks me "Why did you call him out? He's injured!" I respond, "Sir the ball is live - he can not give himself time. If he abandons the base while the ball is live I have to call him out." His response "You are flippin' (substitute word) ridiculous", and once I heard that I tossed him.

This is the same coach that keeps piping from the 3rd base coaches box "He's balking. He's separating his hands while in his pitching motion" repeatedly. He had already been warned by my partner in this game for repeating himself after a close play at the plate, but stopped talking after the warning. I had warned him in the 1st game of the double while on the plate for "I didn't see the tag blue" x 3. After the third time I called time and warned him "Coach that's enough. Once more and you're gone".

His assistant coach was more than nice about it, and even apologized to me for his partner's behavior after the coach left the field.

Felt good to get one under my belt. Took me 60 games to do it (hadn't been close in any of them at all).
newbumpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2007, 01:28 AM   #2
Jim_Porter
Cadet

Jim_Porter is just getting started

What level was this?
Jim_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2007, 02:59 AM   #3
newbumpire

newbumpire is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Porter
What level was this?
American Legion ball 16 and under.
newbumpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Jim_Porter
Cadet

Jim_Porter is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbumpire
Quote:
What level was this?
Wow, wouldn't expect a runner to do that at that level. Maybe at the Little League level, but not Legion.
Jim_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
Will

Will is just getting started

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What level was this?
Wow, wouldn't expect a runner to do that at that level. Maybe at the Little League level, but not Legion.
Ya a 9-12 year old I'd call time myself or something. The higher aged kids like this I think you made the right call.

After the EJ, I would allow the Head coach to tend to the injured player, but after thats resolved he's in the parking lot.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #6
waltjp
Rookie

waltjp is just getting started
Default Re: I've been baptized

Quote:
"Coach that's enough. Once more and you're gone".
Good job. As others have said at this age I'd expect the player to call time first. I'd probably give the younger kids a break once I realized there was an injury involved.

Next time you give a warning just stick to "that's enough".
waltjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
Will

ya the "once more and ..." is baiting an ejection. Although sometimes worthy of doing, 90% of the time you just end up making yourself look bad. I've found that if you just listen to what they have to say and then explain your ruling ONCE with baseball terms (R1, B1, interference, obstruction, hinders, protection, "has the right to the ball" etc etc etc...) you will really put them in their place.

However, this is assuming you made the right call. By knowing the rules, watching video, reading this forum and making flash cards you WILL make the right call. Joe Blow coach is going to always bitch and moan and when he does and when your right you can just let him sound like and idiot then professionally explain why you made the ruling or call (and proves he is reaching or wrong) That in itself proves to be really the best way to show up a coach. If the coach is an asshole and after you "thats enough coach," along with a very good explanation then give him the hook and feel proud about it. Not only did you humiliate him with your superior knowledge of the rules, you got to send him packing too. At that point you will have done everything and still got to send his dumbass out of the game.

I think the above is the "right way" to eject a coach. Basically you let him eject himself.
Unread 06-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #8
JBowling
Veteran

JBowling is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
If the coach is an asshole and after you "thats enough coach," along with a very good explanation then give him the hook and feel proud about it. Not only did you humiliate him with your superior knowledge of the rules, you got to send him packing too. At that point you will have done everything and still got to send his dumbass out of the game.

I think the above is the "right way" to eject a coach. Basically you let him eject himself.
I disagree with what you say hear, perhaps, I misinterpreting what you are saying though.

I would never attempt to humiliate a coach with superior knowledge of the rules. It's kind of showing the coach up and you know how much we as umpires enjoy that, coaches are the same way.

Also, you didn't send him packing. He got himself ejected. If you send him packing, then it looks like you were the aggressor.

Just my interpretation of what was said, may be misinterpreted.
JBowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
vandroiy

vandroiy is just getting started

At which point is the guy out for abandoning the bases? when he is in the dugout, or when he is heading for the dugout?
vandroiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #10
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandroiy
At which point is the guy out for abandoning the bases? when he is in the dugout, or when he is heading for the dugout?
Judgment call. When you are convinced he is obviously abandoning his effort to touch the next base; Any runner after reaching first base who leaves the baseline heading for his dugout or his position believing that there is no further play, may be declared out if the umpire judges the act of the runner to be considered abandoning his efforts to run the bases.

He does not have to reach the dugout or dead ball ground.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2007, 04:02 AM   #11
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBowling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
If the coach is an asshole and after you "thats enough coach," along with a very good explanation then give him the hook and feel proud about it. Not only did you humiliate him with your superior knowledge of the rules, you got to send him packing too. At that point you will have done everything and still got to send his dumbass out of the game.

I disagree with what you say hear, perhaps, I misinterpreting what you are saying though.

I would never attempt to humiliate a coach with superior knowledge of the rules. It's kind of showing the coach up and you know how much we as umpires enjoy that, coaches are the same way.

Also, you didn't send him packing. He got himself ejected. If you send him packing, then it looks like you were the aggressor.

Just my interpretation of what was said, may be misinterpreted.
Ya I'm not saying to "go after" a coach. But if you just apply the correct ruling and back it up in your explanation while being a nice "calm" guy and when the coach says your wrong or you screwed that call you can easily go, "no coach this is the rule and thats enough," I'm not going to change the call and we are done here. If you have any other questions about something else your welcome to ask those now.

You don't "owe" a coach anything. Not even an explanation! He can jog out to you, with a question, you can recite the rule to him and how it was applied. Thank you please come again coach (if he's being an asshole).

Trust me doing the "minimal" and being neutral on the citing of the ruling will not only make you look professional but it will piss of the coach even more. Is that the goal? no...but its going to happen.

The moment you start getting aggressive back, that's what he's looking for and now you look like a big ass along with him. Trust me, I've made myself an ass 1-2 good times on ejections. Ejection that I WAS RIGHT and justified in, but the way i handled it was shitty and made me look bad (even though I applied the right ruling on the field).

"kill'em with kindness"