Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 06-17-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
korman128

korman128 is just getting started
Default Ejection?

I was doing a Jr. League softball game with my partner. Get to about the 4th inning..batter-runner hits a clean single and reaches first turns to the left of the foul line and comes straight back to the bag. In the process she is tagged and my partner calls her out. The manager of the team comes out and talks to my partner then I go out to see if I can clarify it. I overrule him being the homeplate umpire and uic of the game because she came directly back to the bag and made no attempt to go to second base. A fan gets really mad and gets involved from the behind the fence saying its always been that way in Little league that they must turn to the right. I say no she made no attempt to go to 2nd..I should of tossed him for that, but I let it go for some reason. So in the middle of the next inning my partner is over talking to the fan and getting out the rulebook with him trying basically to prove me wrong even though its over with. That goes on for about 3 innings and he calls the league UIC in the middle of the game and he is trying to do bases while on the phone and still prove me wrong. Is it acceptable to toss your partner? because this was way more than enough I could of been better off by myself
korman128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Ejection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman128
I was doing a Jr. League softball game with my partner. Get to about the 4th inning..batter-runner hits a clean single and reaches first turns to the left of the foul line and comes straight back to the bag. In the process she is tagged and my partner calls her out. The manager of the team comes out and talks to my partner then I go out to see if I can clarify it. I overrule him being the homeplate umpire and uic of the game because she came directly back to the bag and made no attempt to go to second base. A fan gets really mad and gets involved from the behind the fence saying its always been that way in Little league that they must turn to the right. I say no she made no attempt to go to 2nd..I should of tossed him for that, but I let it go for some reason. So in the middle of the next inning my partner is over talking to the fan and getting out the rulebook with him trying basically to prove me wrong even though its over with. That goes on for about 3 innings and he calls the league UIC in the middle of the game and he is trying to do bases while on the phone and still prove me wrong. Is it acceptable to toss your partner? because this was way more than enough I could of been better off by myself
If anyone should have been run it should have been you! I don't care how senior you are to your partners, you don't over rule them. You can tell him you have a different opinion, but it's his call to make.

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2007, 11:05 PM   #3
MNBlue17
Rookie

MNBlue17 is just getting started

There was nobody in this little story that wasn't (at least on some level) an idiot. Though you may have been right, don't overrule, just explain the rule to him and let him hang himself if he chooses to do so. You cannot eject fans, but you could have called time while your partner was on the phone in order to peer pressure him into hanging up. Lastly, I'd request never to work with the guy again.
MNBlue17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 01:14 AM   #4
killdump
Rookie

killdump is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to killdump

Quote:
Originally Posted by korman128
There are so many things wrong with this post that it's not even funny. This has to be someone with a fake username trying to have some fun at our expense.
An umpire's work is never done.
On the baseball field you're second to none.
An umpire's work is never done.
killdump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 05:27 AM   #5
umpduck11
Veteran

umpduck11 is just getting started
Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11

Quote:
Originally Posted by killdump
There are so many things wrong with this post that it's not even funny. This has to be someone with a fake username trying to have some fun at our expense.
Then they're doing a piss-poor job of it, IMO.
umpduck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #6
Jim_Porter
Cadet

Jim_Porter is just getting started

It is rather common at the Little League level for leagues to have senior umpires and junior umpires. As incorrect as it is by the book for one umpire to overrule another umpire, it happens far more often than you can imagine. It is the result of having so few umpires available to work so many games.

The rule myth about turning the wrong way at first is also quite common at this level.

The myth that umpires should control and eject spectators is also quite common.

I can also picture a disgruntled junior umpire who has been overruled, but is convinced he is correct, trying to get some validation on his cell phone.

But a partner working the bases while on the phone, and the senior umpire wanting to know if he can eject his partner, well those just went way too far.

But, still, if this has been made up it is pure genius. I can picture it going down just like he described.
Jim_Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Porter
It is rather common at the Little League level for leagues to have senior umpires and junior umpires. As incorrect as it is by the book for one umpire to overrule another umpire, it happens far more often than you can imagine. It is the result of having so few umpires available to work so many games.

I believe that this kind of behavior by a "senior" umpire adds to the problem of so few umpires to work LL games. It's one thing to correct another umpire after the game during a post game critique. But it's demoralizing to show them up and over turn them during the game. No one would wan't to come back and work another game after being embarrased this way. Even with the outstanding pay scale for LL umpires.

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
Jim_Porter
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I believe that this kind of behavior by a "senior" umpire adds to the problem of so few umpires to work LL games. It's one thing to correct another umpire after the game during a post game critique. But it's demoralizing to show them up and over turn them during the game. No one would wan't to come back and work another game after being embarrased this way. Even with the outstanding pay scale for LL umpires.

Tim.
I'm certainly not defending the practice, merely mentioning how prevalent it is.

I started umpiring at 13-years-old, working Minor Little League games. By the time I was 14 I was working Major Little League and considered a, "senior umpire." The league expected me to take charge and overrule junior umpires when they got rulings wrong. And I did -- hey, I was 14 and quite full of myself. I sometimes overruled umpires who were twice my age. Back then I was not only taught it was right, I was expected to do it by the league who was paying me the cash.

When I was 15 I worked my first Little League All-Star game. I also moved up and started working 8th grade baseball on the 90-foot diamond. That's when I truly started learning how to umpire.
Unread 06-18-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
SJC_Blue
Regular

SJC_Blue is just getting started

My son is 12 YO and just finished his 1st year working LL minor games. He's not bad. A few low strikes, but nothing a little work can't solve. I work with him as often as my schedule will permit. I never over rule his call but offer help when he asks. The only thing I do different with him (and any kid who is an umpire) when working with him is stand in close by while he is discussing things with the managers. That way I can jump in if the adult gets out on line. The managers always look at me while the discussion is going on and I always point at my son and look away. It's pretty funny some times. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that this is part of the learning process for umpires.

We always have a post game where I give him my honest opinion and he does the same for me. Kicking a call and dealing with it can be a great teacher.
SJC_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 08:49 PM   #10
Jim_Porter
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC_Blue
My son is 12 YO and just finished his 1st year working LL minor games. He's not bad. A few low strikes, but nothing a little work can't solve. I work with him as often as my schedule will permit. I never over rule his call but offer help when he asks. The only thing I do different with him (and any kid who is an umpire) when working with him is stand in close by while he is discussing things with the managers. That way I can jump in if the adult gets out on line. The managers always look at me while the discussion is going on and I always point at my son and look away. It's pretty funny some times. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that this is part of the learning process for umpires.

We always have a post game where I give him my honest opinion and he does the same for me. Kicking a call and dealing with it can be a great teacher.
He's lucky to have you. I had to flail around and embarass myself many times before I finally got it.