Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 06-03-2007, 05:37 AM   #1
MPDude8

MPDude8 is just getting started
Default Massive Argument, Ejection, Postgame Problems

Hello, I was umpiring a 10-11 year old game today in the field. There is a coach in this league (ironically, this is a CYO Catholic Youth game) that is known to be very unstable and who is known to lose control very easily. Early in the game, it was obvious the coach wasn't in a good mood. From the B position, I called his runner out at first because from my angle, it looked like the 1st baseman's foot was on the bag. Three coaches simultaneously run on the field to get in my face, in lieu of simply asking for an appeal. After the dust settles, I appeal to my partner, who indeed says the foot was off the bag. Then, we call both coaches over and give a very stern warning. As expected, the coaches blew us off.
In the final inning, there was a very close out/safe call at 3rd base. I, from the C position, called the runner out on a force play, but the 3rd base coach claimed the 3rd baseman never touched the base. The coach did not let it go for the rest of the inning. He told his runners, "2 outs, although if the umpire wasn't blind there'd only be 1." He threw his sunglasses and his hat down and whined like a baby for the next 5 minutes. I called time and told him he was "an inch away" from getting tossed. He responded, "I know I'm an inch away, but you were 10 feet away and still blew that call!"
So far, this has been nothing I can't handle. What happened after the game was something I had never experienced before as an official. After the final out, I quickly walked/jogged off the field to avoid confrontation. My partner handled the post-game duties then left quickly too. Suddenly, I hear the coach shout, "YEAH THATS RIGHT YOU BETTER RUN!" I stop and turn around as the coach is getting in my face, yelling yet again. After about 2-3 minutes I'm able to get away.
If this was high school or travel ball, I'd be irritated but not fuming. This was CYO 5th/6th grade, a league I do in order to relax from the intensity of select ball. The situation is hard to describe, you had to be there. It was obviously embarrassing for the other coaches fans on this team. It was so obvious the coach was out of line and he most definitely deserved an ejection.
My question is, what should I do at this point? If the coach had simply argued in-game, I'd obviously brush it off and not worry. Since he sought me out after the game, when I was obviously trying to leave the field quickly to avoid a confrontation, I feel he deserves punishment.
MPDude8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
SocalBlue1
Veteran

SocalBlue1 has disabled reputation

Where to start?

1. "Three coaches simultaneously run on the field to get in my face". Where was your partner? He should have been right there to help.

2. There should have been three instant ejections. Instead you allowed all three to stay in game & paid for that all day (As did your partner).

3. "Threw his sunglasses .."? "Gave him a stern warning .." You quite simply let everyone walk all over you.

4. You LEFT YOUR PARTNER behind after the game? NEVER, EVER do that. Right or wrong, you are a team - always stay together.

You lost control over the game 5 seconds after you allowed the three stooges onto the field. Never, ever permit behavior of this type. Should the league tolerate this kind of activity go find somewhere else to umpire.

Take your partner & go find a decent clinic or two and learn how to handle game situations.
SocalBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
torch511

torch511 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to torch511 Send a message via MSN to torch511 Send a message via Yahoo to torch511
Default Re: Massive Argument, Ejection, Postgame Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPDude8
~My question is, what should I do at this point? If the coach had simply argued in-game, I'd obviously brush it off and not worry. Since he sought me out after the game, when I was obviously trying to leave the field quickly to avoid a confrontation, I feel he deserves punishment.
The person who deserves punishment is you. If my partner EVER ran off the field and left me there alone... he would be begging that it was only the coach in his face. I might have to remember some of the more specialized Army training I have had. I assure you, police protection would not be enough.

YOU NEVER LEAVE YOUR PARTNER, EVER!

Please do yourself and other umpires a favor, and stay off the field until you get some proper training and develop some confidence in the rules and in your ability to control the game.

That will solve future problems, but for the current situation:

Run home to you mommy and tell her the big bad bully was bothering you.
torch511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

MPdud,

You are a poor excuse for an umpire. You have done nothing right.

At the plate meeting you must always explain to the managers that, "If you have a question about a call will we be happy to answer questions from only YOU. Ask for time and only YOU may come out to ask." If you are rushed by more than one coach like in your situation, you immediately say, "I will speak with one man. Everybody else goes back to the bench." Then only the manager stays. If the others refuse to leave, you eject them.

BTW, how much dynamite is required for you to eject a coach? You allowed the coach to say and do at least five different offensively disrespectful things that are ejectable. I would be embarrassed to be your partner.

Quote:
The coach did not let it go for the rest of the inning. He told his runners, "2 outs, although if the umpire wasn't blind there'd ...
You should NEVER have to ever say, "The coach did not let it go..." whenever you desribe an incident. When a discussion is over you tell the coach, "That's enough!" If he mentions it again, you eject him. It is that simple. You neve let coaches go on and on about ANYTHING.

If a coach describes you to anyone and the word "blind" is part of the sentence, he is ejected!

You have so much to learn about this job. Safes and outs are only part of the job. Knowing how to control a game and the idiot coaches that come with it is a big part too and you have no clue.

I suggest you try doing soccer, or take up fishing.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
ExCop
Crew Chief

ExCop is movin' on upExCop is movin' on up

I noticed you just joined this forum today, and as a new guy myself I hope I'm not speaking out of turn.

These guys can be rough on folks, but a little voice in my head tells me they're also almost always right. One fellow here wrote that it is far more common to regret ejecting someone than NOT ejecting them!

Honestly, that sounds about right to me.

BTW, as a Catholic myself, I'd be ashamed. The CYO or chancery office should be made aware of how this coach is "corrupting the values of the youth in their pastoral care." CYOs are not a democracy. In my area, he'd be TOAST.
ExCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
archipelligo
Veteran

archipelligo is just getting started

Coaches with histories and bad reputations should last thru about 5 seconds of complaining, then get dumped, over and over and over until they either get the message, or get fired by whoever is in charge of coaches. You are obviously a new umpire, so it's a shame you had to learn the hard way, but my advice is to dump away until they get sick of you and STFU.
archipelligo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #7
Will

Will is just getting started

I agree, i would have ended it right away.

3 ran on and 3 ejections would have occurred.

If the team only has 3 coaches? Oh well, all 3 gone and we have a forfeit and you go home... Easy money.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #8
MPDude8

Yeah I understand. I've been doing this for 3 years. Just to clarify how I left the game, I did leave the field quickly as did my partner. By "post-game" duties he dropped the game balls, picked up his stuff, and left quickly as well. When the coach came back for more, we went at it together. I realize I can't abandon him.
Also, yes, I should have ejected all three, but I have a very long tolerance for normal arguing like what he did. Typical whining, yelling, etc, I usually ignore. Also, the last situation occurred in the bottom of the 7th, 2 outs. I figured I would let the last out come and get out of there instead of having to eject, wait 3 minutes, have to write him up, etc.
Unread 06-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
MPDude8

Couple more things, I don't think I clarified everything:

-When the 3 coaches jumped me, my partner did run out to get them off.
-After they got off the field, they shut up for the rest of the game, besides a few comments here and there to themselves. The only other major problem was in the call at 3rd in the final inning. And there is no doubt if that was anything other than 2 outs in the 7th, it would have been an ejection. He's been dumped before and he'll be dumped again, I don't think tossing him there would have taught him a lesson.
-Again, I realize how I said it, it looks like I completely ran off on my partner. He and I actually did get off the field together, but quickly. When the coach kept it up, we turned around and went back together to handle him.

I know I didn't handle it right, but it was really my first time dealing with a coach like this. I've gone to a few clinics but the only way to learn when to eject is by doing games like this.
Unread 06-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
ricka56
Veteran

ricka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond reputericka56 has a reputation beyond repute

My take on this is that you're leaving a mess for the next crew to deal with. You having a "very long tolerance for normal arguing" is a problem. If this coach(s) have a reputation for bad behavior, then he/they should have been given a VERY SHORT leash and dumped at the first opportunity. Forget that he's not going to learn a lesson...maybe his players are willing to learn...this kind of behavior can not be tolerated, AT ALL.
ricka56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
MNBlue17
Rookie

MNBlue17 is just getting started

Anytime people "rush" the field to argue a judgement call, put up the stop sign and VERY curtly tell them you won't discuss judgement calls. The ones that make it out to you get tossed. After that, assuming they still have coaches left, determine if the head manger remains or which assistant will become the active manager. Explain to him why you dumped the others and why it would be best for him for you not to have to do it again. Tell him that there's a way to discuss issues with you and that wasn't it. In the future, if he wants to discuss a call, fine, but he'd btter do it calmly, alone, and after asking for and receiving time.

Never, NEVER leave your partner after the game, even for a second. Jost don't.

Somebody else referred to the 3 P's of ejections. Personal, Profane, and Persistent. You let several personal comments go where you could have had an easily justifiable EJ. In fact, most, if not all, of your illustrations would be harder to justify NOT making the EJ than it would be to justify puling the trigger.

You handled a difficult situation really poorly, which probably helped contribute to the situation. Live and learn. You'll do better next time.
MNBlue17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
MPDude8

Again, thanks for the responses. The main reason I was so reluctant to eject him was because it was a lame CYO league. I was definitely getting walked over, but it was his last game of the season in the final seconds of the game. For select/travel ball, I'm not nearly as lienenant. I just think dumping him in that situation would have caused more harm than good, he would have only been ejected for about 2 minutes, it was the last game so he wouldn't have been suspended, and he's known as a problem and apparently has been talked to several times, so he probably wouldn't have "seen the light". It was the hardest situation dealing with coaches I've had so far and it was surprising because CYO is generally laid back. But, it's a learning experience
Unread 06-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
SpokaneBlue

SpokaneBlue is just getting started

MPD8...

It shouldn't matter how long a coach/manager/player is ejected. If they've done/said something worthy of being ejected they need to depart the field!!

I've ejected managers in the first inning (coming onto the field during play, made it personal and profane) as well as the last inning (coach charged me from 3rd and made it personal). Don't give a RAT the satisfaction of knowing he can bully you if it's late in the game.
SpokaneBlue is offline   Reply With Quote