Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 04-04-2007, 05:13 AM   #1
HoosierBlue
Banned
Regular
No Avatar

HoosierBlue is just getting started
Default Sarcasm ~ worse than the ""F" Bomb

I had an EJ tonight that's almost embarrasing to describe (as it was just a JV game.) In hindsight, I should have put this guy in the dugout, but he was the only capable coach, and I just let him off the hook too many times. They called in the Asst. Varsity Coach to finish the game.

This coach (and many others) seem to think that unless you say some of the magic words, you shouldn't get ejected or confined. That's bullshit.

This guy (3B coach at the time) argued over a play at the plate. Throw was to the catcher from right field. Ball beat the foot sliding into the catcher ... coach wanted an OBS call on an "imminent tag play."

Ref FED Casebook 8.3.2 Situation C describes this almost to a "T".

Sad part is, both fielders and the runner did everything right. It was just a great play ... perfectly executed ... and anything but a perfect throw would not have gotten him.

This guy thought that trying to trip me up on the wording of the OBS rules would be his way out. He would ask me a question, then before I had two words out of my mouth he'd turn around, say something sarcastic and walk away ... three times. Told me how I needed to brush up and that I evidently slept through the rules meeting.

After the third time, I told him I've had enough of the sarcasm, and if he asks a question, he better let me answer it or he's gone ... I don't care that it's only JV. After he finally went back to his box, I started to get the game going and he called time again. I actually thought he wanted to talk to his batter. He came up to me and said,

"So let me get this straight ... next time I have that play, you're saying you want me to have my player take out the catcher, right?"

That was it ... I tossed him. You won't find this in any rule book, casebook, or mechanics book, but sarcasm is the most disrespectful and demeaning thing we can choose to put up with or not to put up with. It dishonors the game, not just the umpire. (After all, I signed up for the trip.) I encourage more of you Honorable Blues to go easier on the swearing (as long as it's not loud) and the anger and be tougher on the sarcasm.
HoosierBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2007, 08:12 PM   #2
JBowling
Veteran

JBowling is just getting started

I think that I would have probably tossed him after he incenudaded (sp?) that I didn't know the rules.
JBowling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
No Avatar

Disrespectfully addressing an official in NC can get you an EJ with a 2 game vacation automatically.....
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:24 AM   #4
BellevueUmp
Cadet

BellevueUmp is just getting started

I think you would have had a legitimate EJ if you'd dumped him after the first wisecrack. Somebody who comes out to throw a verbal grenade and then retreat isn't looking for an answer (not patronizing here, I know you're aware of that), but probably either testing the waters or maybe taking out a bad day on the officials.

Just curious here, how did you characterize the coach's tone and demeanor in the report? Hopefully, the state-level folks will express their displeasure with this sort of thing. I think the rule/protocol that blindump cited is a pretty good idea, perhaps more state associations should follow that lead.
Unread 04-05-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
HoosierBlue
Banned
Regular
No Avatar

HoosierBlue is just getting started
Default *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueUmp
Just curious here, how did you characterize the coach's tone and demeanor in the report?
Demeaning, belittling, and sarcastic ... (just like a fifteen-year-old spoiled brat.)
HoosierBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
ww870

ww870 is just getting started

I had a situation that fits right in with this sarcasm commentary. I'm working the plate, called strike. Head coach, who is coaching 3rd, yells, "Get consistent! You haven't given us diddly-squat all day!" I call time, take off my mask, take a few steps in his direction, hold up the stop sign and tell him that that we aren't going to talk about balls and strikes, and that I didn't want to hear any more about it. He responds by doffing his cap and bowing in my direction. Buh-bye! The sad part about it was that he was amazed that I dumped him. Turns out the guy is a real ass with a reputation of nonsense. His own catcher thanked me for dumping him the next inning.
Unread 04-16-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ww870
I had a situation that fits right in with this sarcasm commentary. I'm working the plate, called strike. Head coach, who is coaching 3rd, yells, "Get consistent! You haven't given us diddly-squat all day!" I call time, take off my mask, take a few steps in his direction, hold up the stop sign and tell him that that we aren't going to talk about balls and strikes, and that I didn't want to hear any more about it. He responds by doffing his cap and bowing in my direction. Buh-bye! The sad part about it was that he was amazed that I dumped him. Turns out the guy is a real ass with a reputation of nonsense. His own catcher thanked me for dumping him the next inning.
I had a Varsity coach give me a "salaam" (we're not worthy!) bow after I warned him to stop arguing balls and strikes. It was a really slow, deep bow, like he was praying to Mecca. I bounced him before he finished straightening up from the bow.
Unread 04-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
MNBlue17
Rookie

MNBlue17 is just getting started

Quote:
"Get consistent! You haven't given us diddly-squat all day!"
That's just delicious! My smart-ass retort probably would have kept him quiet for the rest of the day.

"If it hasn't happened all day, how is it inconsistent?"
MNBlue17 is offline   Reply With Quote