Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 07-10-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
ajjl22

ajjl22 is just getting started
Default catcher ejection

This happened in a 25+ game this morning. It was the 4th inning and the catcher for the home team has been complaining about the zone the whole game (he thinks everything is a strike, except when he is batting). A 3-0 pitch misses inside and low. The catcher stands up and yells "that a f#&#ing strike, it caught the whole corner," and he sets the ball on the inside corner and leaves it there.

He got to watch the rest of the game from his car.
ajjl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of
Default Re: catcher ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjl22
This happened in a 25+ game this morning. It was the 4th inning and the catcher for the home team has been complaining about the zone the whole game (he thinks everything is a strike, except when he is batting). A 3-0 pitch misses inside and low. The catcher stands up and yells "that a f#&#ing strike, it caught the whole corner," and he sets the ball on the inside corner and leaves it there.

He got to watch the rest of the game from his car.
I can't believe you would eject a player for saying something that innocuos. I think you should have offered him a tic-tac and asked him if he kissed his mother with that mouth.

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #3
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have ejected him for saying what he did, but he sure earned a free pass to the parking lot when he set the ball down on the corner of the plate and left it there. Yeah, umpires love that stuff!
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:27 AM   #4
Rcichon
Cadet

Rcichon is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugieDonatelli
I wouldn't have ejected him for saying what he did, but he sure earned a free pass to the parking lot when he set the ball down on the corner of the plate and left it there. Yeah, umpires love that stuff!
You guys really give that much latitude for 'shaving age' games?
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:34 AM   #5
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

If the guy says "that f*$%^#g pitch was on the corner," yeah, he can stay. They say that word at the big league level every other word. He's an adult and all that.

If, on the other hand, he says "You f*$%^#g a$$hole, you F*$%ed me on that pitch" he's gonna take a trip to the moon (or at least away from the field).

As long as it isn't prolonged or personal, a little profanity by adult players is to be expected. If I threw every adult who swore out of ball games, there would be a whole lot of forfeits, and not many games getting played.

I don't put up with drawing lines in the dirt, or other antics designed to show me up.
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
Rcichon
Cadet

Rcichon is just getting started

emm-k thank you
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of

It's been a while since I worked mens league ball for just this reason. If I ejected every player who dropped an f-bomb out of frustration, there wouldn't be any players left at the end of the game.

Tim.
Unread 07-10-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
It's been a while since I worked mens league ball for just this reason. If I ejected every player who dropped an f-bomb out of frustration, there wouldn't be any players left at the end of the game.

Tim.
Yep, same reason I quit calling Roy Hobbs league ball...That, and I couldn't believe the BS kiddieville antics and whineybutt Mama's boys involved in it...
Unread 07-10-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
shickenbottom
All-Star

shickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the roughshickenbottom is a jewel in the rough

You put up with the crap for 4 innings. Didn't you say something to him earlier? Such as: "Don't go there", or "Be careful, you're skating on thin Ice." Granted, I give a fair share of latitude to players for frustration at themselves or their fellow players, but putting the ball on the corner of the plate earned a trip outta there.

I had my first ejection in two and a half years this past weekend. After the runner was banged out for interference (purposefully defected a thrown ball), he said "thats a f$*&ing crap call," nothing big here, except after this, he made a gesture with his middle finger in my direction. Good bye, enjoy the rest of the evening.
shickenbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 02:35 PM   #10
JerseyLawyer

JerseyLawyer is just getting started

Yeah, I agree - it's not the f-bomb that earned this guy his trip, it's putting the ball down on the corner. I'd like to think I'd have pulled the trigger at that point, too.

That's really the equivalent of drawing a line in the dirt or something.
JerseyLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
ajjl22

ajjl22 is just getting started

Quote:

I can't believe you would eject a player for saying something that innocuos. I think you should have offered him a tic-tac and asked him if he kissed his mother with that mouth.

Tim.
I didn't eject him for f-bombing me. If you keep reading the post you will see he did something after that to get ejected
ajjl22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
BigUmp56
All-Star

Quote:
Quote:

Tim.
I didn't eject him for f-bombing me. If you keep reading the post you will see he did something after that to get ejected
Understood. The point I was trying to make was that I would have used the old "bait and hook" to get him out of the game even if he hadn't placed the ball down on the corner.

Tim.
Unread 07-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #13
wonderbread
Cadet

wonderbread is just getting started

Quote:
Quote:

Tim.
That felt a little sarcastic. Maybe I'm not quite reading it right, however.

As an aside, I had a neat ejection yesteday as well. Senior exhibition ballgame (21+) between two really mediocre (at best) teams. 1st game of the DH I had the dish, and I was having a game about on par with the game - slow pace, sorta relaxed, nothing out of the ordinary, good or bad. I called a pitch at the knees for a strike on 24 from the visitors. This was not a bad pitch, by any stretch but it elicited a "That's low" and a head turn. "It's right there." "That's LOW" "It's right THERE, but I'll show you low if you want." followed by a glare.

Anyways, he knew he had to be swinging and went down on a good pitch to end the inning. The two teams playing were not only mediocre in their skill and intensity, but also rather middling in their understanding of proper adult behaviour. Regardless, second game came around, with me on the bags. I know you don't carry a grudge from game to game, but I decided right off the get-go that they were getting a short leash, no bush league BS towards me for the next 2 hours. It was hot, I was tired and they weren't playing well enough to bitch about a pitch two inches out.

Anyways, runner thrown out at second base on a steal (clearly out, except to the 1st base dugout) elicited a number of comments from the bugout. Normally I stay out of the dugout knowing full well that nothing good comes from going in to get them. This time, as I was jogging back to A, I heard 3 or 4 comments to the effect of "You're f-in brutal!" "Get a call right!" etc etc. I had had enough. Pointed at the section of the bench (3 or 4 players) and ejected whoever stood up first. Turns out, it was 24 (even his team said he was a jackass and an idiot) and we had to wait about 5 minutes while he got through his head that the game wasn't going anywhere while he was hanging off the fence next to me and the dugout.

I hate ejections, but I did like getting this prick. Lucky for me, he earned it with the f'n brutal shout. He even knew it was him that was getting sent out early.
wonderbread is offline   Reply With Quote