Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 07-16-2005, 05:01 AM   #1
bigblueump

bigblueump is just getting started
Default Dump The Coach

In one of the leagues that I work, we've been ordered to dump the coach after a couple of warnings for fowl mouth behavior from that coaches team if we don't know for sure who said it. In fact, we've got the green light to dump both the offender & the coach after a couple of warnings to the coach if by chance we catch a player in the act.

This sure has cut down on ejection problems in a big way!

Any comments here?

Thanks!

BBU[/u]
bigblueump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #2
NguyenCR

NguyenCR is just getting started

A Manager is responsible for the actions of his players, and in some local leagues, his fans.
NguyenCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
barton
Rookie

barton enjoys it when you click on his icon
Default Re: Dump The Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueump
....we've been ordered to dump the coach after a couple of warnings for fowl mouth behavior from that coaches team ...
BBU[/u]
So? ... Do you eject him if he calls you chicken?
barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2005, 10:02 PM   #4
No Avatar

Default Re: Dump The Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by barton
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblueump
....we've been ordered to dump the coach after a couple of warnings for fowl mouth behavior from that coaches team ...
BBU[/u]
So? ... Do you eject him if he calls you chicken?
LOLOL good one, Bart ! What if the coach compares you to the old joke about the difference between a rooster and a man..??

Seriously, what is this leagues definition of "foul mouth behavior"? The "F" word?? DEFINATELY, BINGO! He's history.

As Nguyen said, the coach is responsible for his team. What age group is this? IMO, if this is sub 12 yr old kids, you need to dump 'em without a warning. These kids should not be foul mouthing on a ballfield. What kind of parental guidance have they had and are they getting?? Sheeshhh...

As an umpire, you don't need permission to dump anybody. What kind of league asks or requires their umpires to ask permission? Not much of a league if they do....

Dumping a coach or a player is a great motivator for disciplining the offenders.

Like NIKE says, "Just do it!"
Unread 07-19-2005, 06:21 AM   #5
flapper
No Avatar

flapper is just getting started

I recently worked a fast pitch softball tournament (adult); I arrived during the second game of four on my field. (I was assigned to work only games three and four.) There were quite a few children in the stands, and quite a lot of profanity on the field. When I took over for the next game, I warned both coaches in my pre-game that I wouldn't tolerate such language on my watch, and that if it was coming from the bench, the coach would go along with the offender. Sure enough, as soon as the pre-game was over, I overheard both coaches (who also played for both teams) that anyone who got them tossed would be off the team. The only questionable word I heard the entire afternoon was when a catcher took a foul ball off his throwing hand, and even then, he immediately apologized profusely. Under the circumstances, since no one but me and the batter heard him, I let it slide.
flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2005, 03:38 PM   #6
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapper
I recently worked a fast pitch softball tournament (adult); I arrived during the second game of four on my field. (I was assigned to work only games three and four.) There were quite a few children in the stands, and quite a lot of profanity on the field. When I took over for the next game, I warned both coaches in my pre-game that I wouldn't tolerate such language on my watch, and that if it was coming from the bench, the coach would go along with the offender. Sure enough, as soon as the pre-game was over, I overheard both coaches (who also played for both teams) that anyone who got them tossed would be off the team. The only questionable word I heard the entire afternoon was when a catcher took a foul ball off his throwing hand, and even then, he immediately apologized profusely. Under the circumstances, since no one but me and the batter heard him, I let it slide.
Good job!
Unread 07-19-2005, 04:16 PM   #7
Rcichon
Cadet

Rcichon is just getting started

Nice.

I usually exercise leniency too when I see a Team/Manager/Player complying and I KNOW the expletive was an 'oops' directed at himself/herself.
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:49 PM   #8
PABLUE
Cadet

PABLUE is just getting started

I especially let it slide if the poor SOB has just taken a fastball to the ribs!
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #9
Tim_C
All-Star

Tim_C is movin' on upTim_C is movin' on upTim_C is movin' on up
Default Hahahaha,

Quote:
"I recently worked a fast pitch softball tournament (adult); I arrived during the second game of four on my field. (I was assigned to work only games three and four.) There were quite a few children in the stands, and quite a lot of profanity on the field. When I took over for the next game, I warned both coaches in my pre-game that I wouldn't tolerate such language on my watch, and that if it was coming from the bench, the coach would go along with the offender . . . "
Since I work "real" games this philosophy would never make it.

I would be assigned elswhere the next day.
Tim_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 01:54 AM   #10
Rcichon
Cadet

Rcichon is just getting started
Default Re: Hahahaha,

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Tim_C
.....Since I work "real" games this philosophy would never make it.

What do you mean 'real games'? What are you saying?
Unread 07-20-2005, 03:16 AM   #11
Luke
Rookie

Luke is just getting started
Default Re: Hahahaha,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_C
.....Since I work "real" games this philosophy would never make it.

What do you mean 'real games'? What are you saying?
Ohh no, here we go again.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
bigblueump

bigblueump is just getting started

OK...

Clarification here too...

As far as "fowl" mouth goes "Duck!" is appreciated, "Turkey" is pushing it but "Chicken" is an automatic!

On the more serious side we don't need to permission to dump, but we've been told to dump if what we hear can't be said on radio or TV (ie: George Carlin) & it's loud enough to be heard in the stands.

Also to, I work NBC 16 & 18 year old and NBC Semi Pro (College age on up).

Thanks!

BBU
bigblueump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2005, 12:08 AM   #13
willieg66
No Avatar

willieg66 is just getting started

Never mind Tim C.

I don't post on here often, but I do read alot of the posts and it seems like everytime I read a comment from him it is filled with sarcasm. Maybe he has nothing better to do than try to prove to everyone how "impressive" he is at umpiring. I for one am not impressed!!