Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Softball

Unread 03-16-2005, 03:34 PM   #1
No Avatar

Default Mechanics vs. Baseball

I went to my first area meeting the other night, and I think I have a handle on the rules differences, but are there differences in mechanics that I need to be aware of also? Didn't think to ask the guys while I was there. - Thanks!
Unread 03-16-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

Since BB is played on a 90' diamond and SB is played on a 60' diamond there are significant difference in mechanics. More than one could easilly list here. I assume since you are asking this question you have little or no experience doing SB.

I suggest you go to the FED's website www.nfhs.org and order the Softball Umpire's manual. Buy the SB rules books and casebook too, if you don't aleady own them.

The SB Umpire's manual has a very good, detailed, section on field mechanics which includes alot of diagrams. This is a good place to start.

RBS
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
wbthornton

wbthornton is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to wbthornton Send a message via MSN to wbthornton Send a message via Yahoo to wbthornton

One of the best tools I've seen for softball mechanics is a CD-ROM that's part of a the Officiating Softball course by American Sport Education Program www.asep.com in conjunction with the NFHS. This program allows you to view the proper mechanics for 2 and 3 umpire systems in various situations. I think it's a great tool. Our assignor used it in our last association meeting this past week.
LCUA #30
wbthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
umpire54
No Avatar

umpire54 is just getting started
Default Re: Mechanics vs. Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbthornton View Post
One of the best tools I've seen for softball mechanics is a CD-ROM that's part of a the Officiating Softball course by American Sport Education Program www.asep.com in conjunction with the NFHS. This program allows you to view the proper mechanics for 2 and 3 umpire systems in various situations. I think it's a great tool. Our assignor used it in our last association meeting this past week.
Having trouble finding CD on web site, any help would be appreciated
umpire54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2009, 04:03 AM   #5
torquer
Veteran
No Avatar

torquer has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default Re: Mechanics vs. Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;62301
I went to my first area meeting the other night, and I think I have a handle on the rules differences, but are there differences in mechanics that I need to be aware of also? Didn't think to ask the guys while I was there. - Thanks!
If your doing USSSA you'll need to look at the CCA manual for softball. Alot of HS groups are going with the NCAA mechanics. There are alot of similarities but some big differences as well.

Jess
torquer is offline   Reply With Quote