Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
mjdouble
Rookie
No Avatar

mjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud of
Default Interference, yes or no?

What do you got here? U2 said it was clean. Game ended on this play.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index..._copy_35071973
mjdouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interference, yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdouble View Post

Sorry...already posted in another thread with on-going discussion.

Aloha,
Mike
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
kengibes
All-Star Crew Chief

kengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond reputekengibes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Sorry...already posted in another thread with on-going discussion.

Aloha,
Mike
On this board? Where?
kengibes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenGibes View Post
On this board? Where?
I stand corrected...apologies gentlemen...I confused this with the BR error on the "No Where to Go" thread.

It's Monday...

Aloha,
Mike

Last edited by mturman; 08-04-2014 at 09:07 PM. Reason: need to correct
Unread 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
patrick s
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

patrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond reputepatrick s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

It's tough to tell, from the three different angles, none show when and how he lifted his arms. All I see is the arm already lifted in a nonchalant fashion.
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #6
mark38090
All-Star

mark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant futuremark38090 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick s View Post
It's tough to tell, from the three different angles, none show when and how he lifted his arms. All I see is the arm already lifted in a nonchalant fashion.
U2 said everybody throws arms up when they slide. I think I'm getting interference though. Clearly the actions of the base runner interfered with the play on BR.
mark38090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2014, 10:18 PM   #7
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark38090 View Post
U2 said everybody throws arms up when they slide. I think I'm getting interference though. Clearly the actions of the base runner interfered with the play on BR.
I can see it go either way...But the runner was making what appeared to be a legal slide...within reach of the bag...

And as memory serves, I believe it an inherent characteristic of runners when beginning their slide to have the arms go up...So he was doing what he was supposed to be doing...INT, perhaps...But I can only imagine that U2 gave a solid statement of fact supported by the rules to support the ruling he made...

I am anxious to hear any post game reports on this one.

Aloha,
Mike
Unread 08-04-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
mjdouble
Rookie
No Avatar

mjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud ofmjdouble has much to be proud of

I'd call the interference. Something odd with this slide makes me see intent. Yes, arm(s) will go up when runners do a bent leg slide, but I expect the opposite hand of the tucked leg would be the one higher in the air. The slide just looked way too fishy. I think it looks even worse at real speed than when it was slowed down. I can see how it could go either way though.
Unread 08-04-2014, 11:57 PM   #9
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
I'd call the interference. Something odd with this slide makes me see intent. Yes, arm(s) will go up when runners do a bent leg slide, but I expect the opposite hand of the tucked leg would be the one higher in the air. The slide just looked way too fishy. I think it looks even worse at real speed than when it was slowed down. I can see how it could go either way though.
Agreed...What appears odd about the slide...the arm issue or his path on the slide itself? Just curious...

Aloha,
Mike
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:08 AM   #10
mjdouble
Rookie
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
Agreed...What appears odd about the slide...the arm issue or his path on the slide itself? Just curious...

Aloha,
Mike
I think the arm. It just seemed like he was reaching into the path of the throw. Again, I expect the arms to be up on a bent leg slide. But the wrong arm was up high. Gave me the impression he was reaching, thus intent. The slide was hard and late, but I've seen way worse on double plays.
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
typikon
All-Star Crew Chief
No Avatar

typikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond repute

Obvious interference. They need to add these calls to IR.
typikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #12
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by typikon View Post
Obvious interference. They need to add these calls to IR.
Holy crap. No.
Unread 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute

The clearly intended to interfere with the fielder. He was clearly out but slid into the fielder's feet for the purpose of knocking him down. In professional baseball this was a completely common, normal and legal play. It just looked worse because it ended the game.

If this was a high school game using FED rules you have a textbook FPSR violation. But the big boys don't play that way.
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote