Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > Ejections

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
findingtime
Cadet
No Avatar

findingtime is movin' on upfindingtime is movin' on up
Default First Player Ejection

This is my 2nd year as a High School umpire. I've umpired 2 or 3 yrs for Little League 9-10 year olds and made the jump. I love it.

Here is my first player ejection and it made You Tube. My question is how were my mechanics and I still fill like I made the right call.

This was our 5A JV Championship game. I've worked really hard at getting better and feel like I was rewarded with the game. Very solid game on my part from start to finish.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUGK0LmrIPs
findingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:08 AM   #2
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Player Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingtime View Post
This is my 2nd year as a High School umpire. I've umpired 2 or 3 yrs for Little League 9-10 year olds and made the jump. I love it.

Here is my first player ejection and it made You Tube. My question is how were my mechanics and I still fill like I made the right call.

This was our 5A JV Championship game. I've worked really hard at getting better and feel like I was rewarded with the game. Very solid game on my part from start to finish.

From what I saw the EJ was for the catcher push on the runner that slid into the plate...I probably would have made a similar call...

However, I also noticed that you put your hands on the catcher...This is an absolute no-no at any level...Don't touch the players, coaches or any other person in such instances (or ever to be safe) as this can be construed as hostile on your part...

Ball looked like ti came in from the LC part of the field...You appeared to take the 3BLE...From that side you are looking for swipe tags, which based on the throw and receipt of the ball was not an issue...Might have been better on the 1BLE instead...

I also note that your partner was watching one runner around to 3rd base...Form the limited video it doesn't appear that anyone took the BR around 1st into second...When he comes into second I don't see anyone watching this action either...Your partner appears to be pulled into the ensuing action at 3rd base and the plate...But I do note that you dropped back to the point of the plate to read the play and then adjust for the throw...This was properly done...good job there..

Your partner hung back initially...If I see a group of kids starting to swarm my partner as seen in the video I would probably bust in and get between them and instruct them to get back or get to the dugout...

I reviewed the video multiple times to watch various parts of the play throughout...JV game...EJ was proper in my book...Just don't touch the kids...

Aloha,
Mike

I would very much like to wish all of my friends on this site a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I am a better umpire because of each and every one of you. Thanks for a great year!
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
amuna1225
Banned
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

amuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond reputeamuna1225 has a reputation beyond repute

SEE YA!

Good call
amuna1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
dash_riprock
All-Star Crew Chief

dash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond reputedash_riprock has a reputation beyond repute

It looked to me like the runner kicked the catcher (that's why he shoved him back). Both of them needed to go. The runner got away with one.
dash_riprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:58 AM   #5
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturman View Post
From what I saw the EJ was for the catcher push on the runner that slid into the plate...I probably would have made a similar call...

However, I also noticed that you put your hands on the catcher...This is an absolute no-no at any level...Don't touch the players, coaches or any other person in such instances (or ever to be safe) as this can be construed as hostile on your part...

Ball looked like ti came in from the LC part of the field...You appeared to take the 3BLE...From that side you are looking for swipe tags, which based on the throw and receipt of the ball was not an issue...Might have been better on the 1BLE instead...

I also note that your partner was watching one runner around to 3rd base...Form the limited video it doesn't appear that anyone took the BR around 1st into second...When he comes into second I don't see anyone watching this action either...Your partner appears to be pulled into the ensuing action at 3rd base and the plate...But I do note that you dropped back to the point of the plate to read the play and then adjust for the throw...This was properly done...good job there..

Your partner hung back initially...If I see a group of kids starting to swarm my partner as seen in the video I would probably bust in and get between them and instruct them to get back or get to the dugout...

I reviewed the video multiple times to watch various parts of the play throughout...JV game...EJ was proper in my book...Just don't touch the kids...

Aloha,
Mike
I have reviewed this many times and as I watched the play at home plate I believe that you would of also been in a better position on the 1BLE instead of 3BLE, agree that the call was made correctly on the EJ.
I totally agree with Mike that you should never put your hands on a player, coach or anyone it can only get you in trouble.

Runner seemed to have had a hard slide at the plate but didn't see it as malious contact by the runner it was the catcher that shoved the runner because of a hard slide.
EJ Good Call as I would of probaly called the same.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
It looked to me like the runner kicked the catcher (that's why he shoved him back). Both of them needed to go. The runner got away with one.
+1...Good catch Dash...Upon closer look it does look like the runner kicked his foot out a bit as he was getting up...Great eye on that one...This can be seen at the 14 to 15 second transition...Easy to overlook because the PU was moving into the frame...

Just goes to show you...It's always the retaliation that gets caught and penalized...

Aloha,
Mike

I would very much like to wish all of my friends on this site a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! I am a better umpire because of each and every one of you. Thanks for a great year!
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:29 AM   #7
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: First Player Ejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock View Post
Dash I went back and looked at what you mention about the runner. Yes he did and the catcher was only reacting to what happened he was one who paid the price. They should of both been EJ'd.

Nice observation.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #8
kippowe
Regular
No Avatar

kippowe is a name known to allkippowe is a name known to allkippowe is a name known to allkippowe is a name known to allkippowe is a name known to allkippowe is a name known to all

Good call on the safe/out call. I agree with the others that 1BLE would have been better for that call. Good call on the EJ. I have watched the video several times and I am not convinced the runner was actually kicking at the catcher. If I was there and thought he was, I would have gotten him too. Findingtime, did you see the "kick?" If so, what did you think about it?

Looks like you have a bright future. Keep up the good work.
kippowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:

By the way...Welcome to the forum...+1 for having the cajones to share your video with the guys...

Aloha,
Mike

Unread 05-17-2013, 04:16 AM   #10
findingtime
Cadet
No Avatar

findingtime is movin' on upfindingtime is movin' on up

Thanks for the feedback. Now that I found the video and have watched it several times I am going to spend a little more time on it with my positioning. I only recently started taking 3ble because of MLB guys. It seems like they are trying to keep it all in front of them coming at them to watch the slide into the plate along with a tag. Still learning proper positioning.

Your right, I never even realized I touched him even after I replayed the play in my mind 100 times over the last week until I saw the video.

I think I was just getting his attention before. I never thought even in the slightest that he kicked at him. The catcher complained that he was pushing at him but again never saw any of that because the kid was over the top of him.

I didn't think it was a hard slide but just trying to come in fast. You can see they were up the base line 3 or 4 feet before the plate so the call was easy. I felt like I waited to make sure the ball didn't come out and only called it once he pulled his glove up.

I wished I had a better angle on my positioning before the play so I could see my distance between the catcher. I thought my height was good on the pitch.

Again thanks for the valuable comments - I WILL NEVER TOUCH A PLAYER AGAIN.
findingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #11
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Now that I found the video and have watched it several times I am going to spend a little more time on it with my positioning. I only recently started taking 3ble because of MLB guys. It seems like they are trying to keep it all in front of them coming at them to watch the slide into the plate along with a tag. Still learning proper positioning.

Your right, I never even realized I touched him even after I replayed the play in my mind 100 times over the last week until I saw the video.

I think I was just getting his attention before. I never thought even in the slightest that he kicked at him. The catcher complained that he was pushing at him but again never saw any of that because the kid was over the top of him.

I didn't think it was a hard slide but just trying to come in fast. You can see they were up the base line 3 or 4 feet before the plate so the call was easy. I felt like I waited to make sure the ball didn't come out and only called it once he pulled his glove up.

I wished I had a better angle on my positioning before the play so I could see my distance between the catcher. I thought my height was good on the pitch.

Again thanks for the valuable comments - I WILL NEVER TOUCH A PLAYER AGAIN.
Brother, as long as you learn and improve, that is all any umpire group can ask for...You keep taking feedback as positively as you just did and you can move quicly...Just don't ever assume you are "all that"...be humble and the reqards will come...

Your head height looked good...Keep working...

Aloha,
Mike

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

Welcome to the form Findingtime and thanks as it has been said for posting the Video. It is a lession for all and as it has been mentioned here keep learning and get better each and every game that you call. You will do just fine.

Your positioning behind the plate was good.
Make sure that you are set when making the call, and not moving as Ricka56 mentions. You can only get better again welcome.

John
Unread 05-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #13
BigUmp56
All-Star

BigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud ofBigUmp56 has much to be proud of

Righteous ejection......good job.

Start on the nose of the plate and let the play take you to 1BLX or 3BLX. You moved to 3BLX too soon, in my opinion.

That little half hearted attempt at a kick by the runner was chicken s%$t, but there's no way it warranted him being ejected........good non call.

You definitely need to talk to your partner about coming in to help you in a situation like this. It looked like the manager saved F6 from getting himself dumped as well. Your partner should have been there to keep the rest of the infielders from crowding around the plate.

If you feel the need to get between two players to stop them from fighting, just step between them and let one of them bump into your chest, but as others have said, don't touch them or push them away. Personally, I don't get involved when players fight, other than to stand back and write down uniform numbers.

Last piece of advice........pull your mask with your left hand, and then keep it in your left hand.

Welcome to the forums!

Tim.
BigUmp56 is offline   Reply With Quote