Go Back   Forums > Between the Lines > General

Unread 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute
Default The State of Baseball in Hawaii

American Legion Season is upon us here in Hawaii with the 15U level starting play next week...

Last season the group that had the contract fielded some very unqualified officials...Several of our veterans joined that group in order to call Legion ball...

Our group, consisting of all veterans offered a contract to the Legion for this upcoming season...the 19U level of play was offered for 2 officials at a rate of $90 per game...17U at $85 and 15U at $80

We didn't receive the contract...We are told our cost is too high

I know what some of your leagues pay around the mainland...But the politics of ego continue to hinder the provision of quality officiating here...The group that I recently stepped away from due to some integrity issues has the contract...

The coaches, leagues, etc. all feel that they are being overcharged at $140 a game for 2 officials in the higher levels of play for AJA and Collegiate...

At the PONY meeting last night we were all pleased to hear that a raise, taking effect in the next season, was just approved to $75 per game for 2 men...The only advantage to this league is that an Umpire can work 1-4 games a day on the weekends...

I love calling baseball here in Hawaii...But the politics are killing us...

Aloha,
Mike

Thought you would a

Coach - Blue, you are cheating my boys...
Umpire - Coach, I tried cheating for them but damned if they don't keep screwing it up with all of their errors!

Last edited by mturman; 05-08-2013 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Add Info
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Richard_Siegel
All-Star Crew Chief

Richard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond reputeRichard_Siegel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The State of Baseball in Hawaii

A few weeks ago you issued an open inviation to all of us to come over there to call a couple of games with you. I am making plans for that. From what you're telling us now should I think twice about that?
Richard_Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
mturman
All-Star Crew Chief

Location: Oahu, Hawaii (since '89) in Wahiawa, near Schofield Barracks
mturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond reputemturman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel View Post
A few weeks ago you issued an open inviation to all of us to come over there to call a couple of games with you. I am making plans for that. From what you're telling us now should I think twice about that?
I would love to have you come over...There is still a lot of baseball to be called...

The politics won't impact anyone that isn't hear on a long term basis...

Aloha,
Mike

Coach - Blue, you are cheating my boys...
Umpire - Coach, I tried cheating for them but damned if they don't keep screwing it up with all of their errors!
mturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
Wags
Veteran

Wags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond reputeWags has a reputation beyond repute

19 days and counting
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
bells
Regular

bells is a name known to allbells is a name known to allbells is a name known to allbells is a name known to allbells is a name known to allbells is a name known to all

Just for comparison sake, below are the fee's our umpires are paid for the vaious "SUMMER" baseball games we officiate.

SEMI-PROFESSIONAL LEAGUES

LEAGUE GAME 2013

ADULT LEAGUE 7 INNINGS (2 MEN) $75.00
9 INNINGS (2 MEN $100.00

AAU 18U TEAMS, TRAVEL OR LOCAL 7 INNINGS (2 MEN) $70.00
9 INNINGS (2 MEN) $100.00

COLLEGE WOODEN BAT LEAGUE 7 INNINGS (2 MEN) $75.00
9 INNINGS (2 MEN) $100.00

SUMMER YOUTH PROGRAM LEAGUES

AMERICAN LEGION 7 INNINGS (2 MEN) $67.00

15 16 7 INNINGS (2 MEN) $60.00

13 14 7 INNINGS (2 MEN) $50.00