Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Professional

Unread 03-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
bigblue2u
Veteran
No Avatar

bigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant futurebigblue2u has a brilliant future
Default Updated 2013 MLB Rules

COPIED FROM CLOSE CALL SPORTS

FYI:

MLB Modifies Interference Rules, Including Infield Fly Case

MLB has amended the infield fly rule to address interference in the wake of August 26, 2012's Marlins vs. Dodgers game, in which a case of runner interference became entangled with the infield fly rule. Furthermore, the precise verbiage of the proposed modification to Rule 8.05 (fake to third balk) has been revealed. The phrase "or third" base also been added to Rule 8.05(b), which now reads, "it is a balk when—the pitcher, while touching his plate, feints a throw to first or third base and fails to complete the throw."

Modified text of Rule 8.05(c) Comment.

Rule 8.05(k)—formerly "drops the ball"—has changed to the more descriptive, "has the ball slip or fall out of his hand or glove."

See [Case Plays: Infield Interference, Foul Fly or Complete Chaos], 8/28/12

The following details a comprehensive look at the 2013 Official Baseball Rules changes:

Prior to the 2013 OBR rules change, the Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment's final paragraph read:

When an infield fly rule is called, runners may advance at their own risk. If on an infield fly rule, the infielder intentionally drops a fair ball, the ball remains in play despite the provisions of Rule 6.05(l). The infield fly rule takes precedence.
As a result of the confusion caused by the unique case of offensive interference occurring during an infield fly "if fair" play, in which fair/foul status has not yet been established when interference causes the ball to become dead (in which case fair/foul status cannot, by prior rule, be changed), the Official Playing Rules Committee has amended the Rule 2.00 (Infield Fly) Comment to include the following sentences:

If interference is called during an infield fly, the ball remains alive until it is determined whether the ball is fair or foul. If fair, both the runner who interfered with the fielder and the batter are out. If foul, even if caught, the runner is out and the batter returns to bat.
This change also eliminates the phrase "On any interference the ball is dead" from Rule 2.00 (Interference). Also added to 2.00 Interference (a) [Offensive Interference] Comment is the phrase:

If during an intervening play at the plate with less than two outs a runner scores, and then the batter-runner is called out for interference outside the three-foot lane, the runner is safe and the run shall count.
Because the phrase "on any interference the ball is dead" was removed from the Rules Book, language had to be applied à la carte to individual provisions. For instance, Rule 7.09 (it is interference by a batter or runner when—) was modified to delineate that if a batter "clearly" interferes with a catcher after a third strike, the ball is dead and runners may not advance.

Also modified were glove coloring guidelines (Rule 1.15: "no fielder, regardless of position, may use a fielding glove that falls within a PANTONE color set lighter than the current 14-series"), when a pitcher who ended an offensive half inning on the playing field (e.g., at-bat or on base) is required to pitch to the first batter (Rule 3.05: "makes contact with the pitcher's plate to begin his warm-up pitches") and the language of the suspended games rule 4.12.

Additionally, Rule 8.02's automatic ball rule for a pitcher who goes to his mouth/lips on the mound was scaled back such that umpires are to "remove the ball from play and issue a warning to the pitcher. Any subsequent violation shall be called a ball."

Lastly, the phrase "Wild Card" was added to appropriate sections of the OBR that refer to postseason play.
bigblue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 02:38 AM   #2
mt 73
Crew Chief
No Avatar

mt 73 is a beacon of light on a stormy nightmt 73 is a beacon of light on a stormy nightmt 73 is a beacon of light on a stormy nightmt 73 is a beacon of light on a stormy nightmt 73 is a beacon of light on a stormy nightmt 73 is a beacon of light on a stormy night
Default Re: Updated 2013 MLB Rules

Many thanks.
mt 73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #3
typikon
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

typikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue2u View Post
COPIED FROM CLOSE CALL SPORTS

If interference is called during an infield fly, the ball remains alive until it is determined whether the ball is fair or foul. If fair, both the runner who interfered with the fielder and the batter are out. If foul, even if caught, the runner is out and the batter returns to bat.
I really don't like the above; I supposed it's the kind of thing that happens twice a century, but in my view, it seems wrong that a fielder could catch a foul fly ball, while being interfered with, and the batter is not out. Seems like it would hand an incentive to the offense to interfere.

Has the rule always been interpreted this way?
typikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
gnhbua93
Rookie
No Avatar

gnhbua93 is infamous around these partsgnhbua93 is infamous around these partsgnhbua93 is infamous around these parts

Do yourself a favor, invest in you and purchase the rule book. Also, if you don't have it yet, purchase the Evans index. You will not regret it.
gnhbua93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by typikon View Post
I really don't like the above; I supposed it's the kind of thing that happens twice a century, but in my view, it seems wrong that a fielder could catch a foul fly ball, while being interfered with, and the batter is not out. Seems like it would hand an incentive to the offense to interfere.

Has the rule always been interpreted this way?
I'm confused -- how does this give the offense an incentive to interfere?
bobjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
typikon
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

typikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond reputetypikon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhbua93 View Post
Do yourself a favor, invest in you and purchase the rule book. Also, if you don't have it yet, purchase the Evans index. You will not regret it.
Obviously, acquiring the rule book won't help, because

a) if the rules have always spelled this out, there would be no need to clarify for 2013,

b) the change hasn't been printed yet, so it's not available.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
typikon
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
I'm confused -- how does this give the offense an incentive to interfere?
I'm envisioning a situation where there's a power hitter at the plate, he hits an infield fly with bases loaded, no outs. I'm the runner on 3B. Perhaps I can keep him at bat by interfering. If I see the ball curling foul, I can run into the fielder. Ball's dead, I'm out, power hitter is still at bat even if the fielder catches it. In essence we give the Offense the (momentary) choice of which batter we want.

Maybe it's obscure, but the situation described can only happen that way, right? Maybe there's a scenario on the 1B line, but my logic would apply there, too.

With an infield fly, there's plenty of time to calculate. Fielders certainly do it.
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

bobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond reputebobjenkins has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to imagine a hitter so good that a team would take a runner off of third to keep him at the plate.

I guess it could happen.
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
socal lurker
Veteran
No Avatar

socal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant future

Quote:
It's hard to imagine a hitter so good that a team would take a runner off of third to keep him at the plate.

I guess it could happen.

Or a runner who would figure that out while the ball was in the air . . .
socal lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
AugieDonatelli
All-Star Crew Chief

AugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond reputeAugieDonatelli has a reputation beyond repute

tha
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricka56 View Post
If I have no clue about..."my wife thinks the shade of purple is dependent on how she pronounces the word purple"...how the flock am I suppose to know what a "PANTONE color set lighter than the current 14-series" is?

I thought it would be my kness or my hip that ended my umpire career...having it done in by a color set just isn't right.
I use Pantone colors (and CMYK approximations of Pantone colors) all the time in both Keynote and PowerPoint presentations, as well as in Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Photoshop.

14 is one of several prefixes that are mainly used for fashion/home and paint/exteriors.

Here are the 14 series Pantone colors:

http://www.hyatts.com/pantone/smart-...14-xxxx-2.3304
Unread 03-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #11
heyblue26
All-Star Crew Chief

heyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond reputeheyblue26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnhbua93 View Post
Yes both are very handy and yes whom ever purchases these will surley not regret it.
Efforts and Professionalism: Focus, Hustle, Mobility, Demeanor, Appearance, Eagerness to learn and Improve, Willingness to accept constructive criticism, Relationship with crew and others, Professionalism on and off the field, and Administrative duties.
Just some good points to always remember to be come a better Umpire
heyblue26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
typikon
Veteran Crew Chief
No Avatar

Quote:

I guess it could happen.

What I'm really asking is why the rules committee would find this clarification necessary. Has this been a controversy?

Please someone don't tell me to buy the rulebook.
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
bobjenkins
All-Star Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by typikon View Post
What I'm really asking is why the rules committee would find this clarification necessary. Has this been a controversy?

Please someone don't tell me to buy the rulebook.
It has definitely been discussed on the boards; while I don't remember the specifics there's certainly a good chance the discussion was the result of some play.