Go Back   Forums > Pick your level > Small Diamond

Unread 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #14
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LL Minors: 5 run limit, unlimited last inning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinva View Post
Check my math? Ok...

Team A.
Inning 1: 5 runs on 0 outs
Inning 2: 5 runs on 0 outs
Inning 3: 0 runs on 3 outs
Inning 4: 0 runs on 3 outs
Inning 5: 5 runs on 0 outs
Inning 6: 0 runs on 3 outs

15 runs in 9 outs.

Team B
Inning 1: 3 runs on 3 outs
Inning 2: 3 runs on 3 outs
Inning 3: 1 run on 3 outs
Inning 4: 0 runs on 3 outs
Inning 5: 0 runs on 3 outs
Inning 6: 9 runs on 2 outs.

16 runs on 17 outs.

Team B wins by scoring more runs using 17 outs than team A did with 9 outs just because they happened to have their best inning in the 6th.

If minors is for training and not winning, then unlimited 6th innings make even less sense.
You said:

Is it fair that team B who is retired on three outs in the first 5 innings - (and nothing like what you just posted).

That's zero runs where I live. Somehow I was to assume your scenario?

The unlimited last inning is to keep playing rather than shutting down due to an inability to score enough. We want the kids playing, not going home early. If you read the book, they can only play until they bat around anyhow - that part of the rule isn't altered. It isn't really unlimited, it's just "more than 5".
Unread 06-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #15
Elfordo
Regular

Elfordo is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
The Pony leagues I do that use a 5 run limit allow each team to bat through their order during the last inning. It varies league-to-league whether that can be a declared last inning (if the time limit is approaching) or whether it can only be the 6th inning.

Unless the first 4-5 pitchers were excellent, it's a moot point anyway, as most of these leagues also have a "no new after 1:45" and a drop dead time limit of two hours.

Little League has that rule as well. Rule 5.07

Elfordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
socal lurker
Veteran
No Avatar

socal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfordo View Post
Little League has that rule as well. Rule 5.07
It's an interesting rule from a policy perspective as it favors a team with more players (at least it has the potetntial to). (Unrelated to the rule, I like my local PONY league policy that generaly caps teams at 11 players so everyone is playing more.)
socal lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Rich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond reputeRich_Ives has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal lurker View Post
It's an interesting rule from a policy perspective as it favors a team with more players (at least it has the potetntial to). (Unrelated to the rule, I like my local PONY league policy that generaly caps teams at 11 players so everyone is playing more.)
In LL roster sizes are required to be equal, so it's only an issue, if you really want to make one of it, if one team is short due to absences.
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
Elfordo
Regular

Elfordo is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
In LL roster sizes are required to be equal, so it's only an issue, if you really want to make one of it, if one team is short due to absences.
It is an interesting rule. In Minors, Little Leagues will often use Continuous Batting Order (CBO), aka Roster batting, where they will bat their entire roster - as opposed to a nine-man line up. If one team is missing a person or two and the other has a full team of say-twelve; the rule really does favor the larger team. But the rule is what it is, and it is designed to keep the last inning (the unlimited inning) from getting out of hand and lasting forever.

Elfordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #19
socal lurker
Veteran
No Avatar

socal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant futuresocal lurker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_Ives View Post
Point taken -- when my son was last in LL, our league only had two teams, so most of our games were against teams from our leagues with varying roster sizes. (I think we had 14 or 15 -- too many for minors IMHO as it means too much time sitting on the bench instead of playing.)
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #20
Davidsb63
Rookie

Davidsb63 is just getting started

I really dislike the unlimited last inning, every inning should be the same (run limit or unlimited). In an unlimited last inning, it is possible the first five innings will mean nothing and come down to which team has the better #2 pitcher.
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsb63 View Post
I really dislike the unlimited last inning, every inning should be the same (run limit or unlimited). In an unlimited last inning, it is possible the first five innings will mean nothing and come down to which team has the better #2 pitcher.
Kinda like NBA basketball.

The first 40 minutes mean nothing. Just watch the last 8 minutes (which will probably take an hour in a close game).
Unread 06-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #22
socal lurker
Veteran
No Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidsb63 View Post
Or the smarter coach who uses his best pitcher in the unlimited inning . . . . . . once you mess with the rules, you get wierd results, and then you try to fix the wierd results and then . . . if you don't have an unlimited inning, you effectively have games over in the early innings; so the "fix" is to keep the game interesting in the final inning, but it certainly can create a wierd situation some times
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

cajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond reputecajunyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Just another result of the pussyfication of our nation.

We change rules to protect the weaker players, which creates new situations, which we create more BS rules for, which creates new situations.....etc. etc.

Stop modifying our entire world just to ensure nobody is offended, hurt, discriminated against, has to work hard to be successful, etc.

Let those that work hard to get better.....wait for it......BE BETTER and those that can't or won't........do something else.

I'm so tired of this 'everybody plays, nobody loses, nobody wins, we're all equal bullshit.' And not just in sports...OH NO!

It's nation-wide.

It's a recipe for failure in that once these kids leave the falsely-protected environment, and enter the world in which RESULTS MATTER....they are screwed.

Whatever.

Park ball sucks and this is why.,
Unread 06-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
Rich_Ives
All-Star Crew Chief

Let's clear up one thing. It is NOT an unlimited last inning. The LL rule removes the 5 run max but does NOT remove the "once through the order" limit.

Note that in LL minors everyone present is in the order.
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
wjr953
Veteran

wjr953 is movin' on upwjr953 is movin' on up

+1000!
I was waiting to see how long it took before you jumped in CajunYankee! I agree with your philosphy of "pf" of our nation. Let's stop playing nicey-nice baseball and get back to some serious competition. For God's sake they shouldn't even keep score in the Minors if it's supposed to be for developmental purposes! Either let's get back to serious baseball or let's all sit around the campfire with our s'mores and all sing Cumbaya. Geez, the sport of baseball hasn't been bastardized enough by these ne'er do well do-gooders?? Let's just have comfort stations at each base, so they sit and eat cookies and have lemonade while their Mommies walk them around the bases holding a parasol to keep the sun out of their little eyes. "pf" of our nation is right!!!
"An umpire doesn't eject a manager or player, they eject themselves. They know exactly what they can say and who they can say it to. So when somebody is thrown out, he has either completely lost control, or he intended to be run." - Eric Gregg
wjr953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #26
cajunyankee
All-Star Crew Chief

I see my reputation precedes me.

Whatever. I'm not saying that the smaller, less-talented kids should be omitted from our thoughts, I'm just saying that the playing field is not level in life, why do we artificially level it when the kids are growing up?

THis is why we have so many 'adult adolescents' in the country and why finding quality employees is so difficult